Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simulate Other Model S Drivetrains

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a P90DL owner I can simulate all of the other S models. This is a pretty fantastic feature and one that I really hope Tesla makes standard in the firmware. If you go into the power app on the 17" display and show instantaneous power usage I can easily see the results of simulating less powerful Models.

The 70 rear engine model feels very smooth and it is easy to understand via feedback that the front motor is inactive. Also regen is less.

This is a wonderful feature and I will be calling Tesla Support to plead that it becomes standard. For those going on long trips, I could see how using this feature could be of great benefit to extend range.

Next Step? As a driver selected option, let the Model S choose its personality based upon the last 5, 15 or 30 miles of usage.

Just tremendous technology for sure.

BRAVO Tesla... BRAVO!

This is a wonderful feature and I will be calling Tesla Support to plead that it becomes standard. For those going on long trips, I could see how using this feature could be of great benefit to extend range.
I think you've hit on an easy way of squeezing more range from the car on long road trips, it could even be another selling point. that said I don't like the lesser performance of the 70s and in my normal day to day driving where range isn't going to be a factor I prefer the "zip" of my 90d.

Totally agree with your feeling Kort677. I am sure there are many Model S owners who chose the 90D or 85D over the P90D or P85D to get more usable range from the car. This new Performance Simulation feature pretty much negates that issue. You CAN have your cake and travel longer distances with it as well.

I have written my long time Tesla Sales rep regarding this. I have asked him to forward my feelings on up the chain (he is well connected in Telsa). I hope that someone in Tesla has a light turn on.... The Performance Simulation mode, if implemented with a driver selection option (such like Range Mode) can turn your Model S into a long distance hauler when doing long road trips. On such trips you rarely use 0-90 go power...

In addition in that automatic Performance Simulation Mode, the car can "learn" what you are doing, say over the last 5 or 15 or 30 miles and choose an appropriate Model S model to optimize battery usage per mile. Talk about reducing range anxiety! Wow.

• Love
Reactions: gsxdsm
Yes the P90D has a larger motor and beefier DC-AC converter as well at the Inconel contactors and smart fuse. The Ludicrous upgraded P85D shares some of these parts as well. So yes the P90D and P90DL and P85D and P85DL have the potential to suck a bit more watts per mile if torque sleep is not running.

But like I said when I chose the 70 or 90 in Performance Simulation (which have rear motors only) I could actually feel that the front motor of my P90D was just doing NOTHING at all during acceleration.

This week I will be running a test. I plan on running the same course with each of the Model types (using Performance Simulation), and logging the energy used per mile to see exactly what the difference is. I plan on running from my home and over to the local Tesla Service Center and then back which has both highway and back road components. This will allow me to use cruise control most of the way thus taking ME and my foot out of the equation.
Stay tuned...

On my P85 I see 70, 90, and Max. Not sure how I can have "90," though. Is that because a the performance of a 90 is less than a P85?

Like others have reported, the setting is reverting to 70 each time. Have I just hobbled my P85 to be a 70?

And, now that I've activated this, how do I disable it?

Last edited:
wow, quoting sucks now!
Rockster, you just do the T song and dance over again and the mode will disable.

after playing with the option a few times i got some VERY interesting information. my p90d in S70 mode managed a meager 262wh/mi on the drive home from work. best i got before was 279, and that was in serious grandma mode.

when i tried to go up trim to the 70D... things got funny. first i did not hear the front motor so i hit the T to check the mode again, it was now set to S70. ok, set back to 70D, close the window, check again, S90, WTH? ok... maybe i need to set it in park, maybe i need to set it when the car is "off". nope. each time was another trim.

so... yesterday i left the T window open, with 90D selected. my previous best round trip usage was 327 average is 350, 90d was 316.
but leaving the window open kinda sucks so... i dont know how much more testing im going to do. maybe someone can point out what im doing wrong.

I would be very curious as to the results of your mileage test. Selecting a rear motor 70 on a p90dl may possibly increase power use, for the same reason a D Tesla gets better mileage than a RWD car of similar battery size. It is able to put the power to the set of wheels that give the best efficiency (speculation/fact about different gearing front vs back).

The 85/90 weigh more than a 70.

The P85/90D with more than a 85/90D.

Yes, there would be some improvement because your can't accelerate as fast. But that would totally depend on your driving style.

brkaus, absolutely. but I have the same route every day, and the same driving style. the p90dl just has such a crazy throttle mapping that, while possible to get low wh/mi, its much easier to switch to s70 mode. even in sport acceleration the p90d is still a beast. like I said I need to test more. but its cool and interesting. so far the numbers dont lie.

• Love
Reactions: gsxdsm
brkaus, absolutely. but I have the same route every day, and the same driving style. the p90dl just has such a crazy throttle mapping that, while possible to get low wh/mi, its much easier to switch to s70 mode. even in sport acceleration the p90d is still a beast. like I said I need to test more. but its cool and interesting. so far the numbers dont lie.

Lots of factors. It's super interesting topic! Curious how it works out!

As a P90DL owner I can simulate all of the other S models. This is a pretty fantastic feature and one that I really hope Tesla makes standard in the firmware. If you go into the power app on the 17" display and show instantaneous power usage I can easily see the results of simulating less powerful Models.

The 70 rear engine model feels very smooth and it is easy to understand via feedback that the front motor is inactive. Also regen is less.

Next Step? As a driver selected option, let the Model S choose its personality based upon the last 5, 15 or 30 miles of usage.

Just tremendous technology for sure.

BRAVO Tesla... BRAVO!
A electric motor is not a engine. As a EV owner you need to learn the proper terminology.

• Disagree
Reactions: AmpedRealtor
A electric motor is not a engine. As a EV owner you need to learn the proper terminology.

Yes you are right.... I will now walk out in front of traffic and end it all.... Cruisin, keep those helpful and informative tips of your coming.... and from such a NEW member here.... WOW.... impressive. One of the problems CRUISIN, is that with the new forum software, you cannot edit your post right after someone else replies or time runs out.... After I read the post, I noticed that error of mine (having called engines, engines for 60 years now), however I could no longer correct the post as EDIT was gone. I hope you will NOT think so badly of me now.... But I still will thrash myself with a whip.... and where is my cane.... I need to go play in traffic.... I am A BAD OLD BOY.....

Last edited:
Has anyone with a 70D tried this out? I typed in the code (I have a 70D) and saw 70,90, and Max. I'd love to see someone get some 0-60 times with the various options selected. I'm going to try this out myself now that I know there are options for a 70D.

Has anyone with a 70D tried this out? I typed in the code (I have a 70D) and saw 70,90, and Max. I'd love to see someone get some 0-60 times with the various options selected. I'm going to try this out myself now that I know there are options for a 70D.
I'm wondering the same thing. I tried selecting 70 and 90 and didn't notice any immediate difference. But I didn't do a controlled experiment either.

We need someone to take it down to the track and give us some real numbers with this feature.

I tried mine on "max" and it seemed to have some more zip than normal, could have been the placebo effect since I don't usually put the pedal to the metal.