Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Simultaneous production of Tesla Model S for US and Europe? Or US production on hold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heard Japan sigs (LHD) also start delivering from Sep/Oct... though I guess numbers are small.

Don't you need cars with right hand drive for Japan (and the UK and Australia)? Those are planned for 2014. Or will people simply be driving LHD Model S in Japan?

Tesla has stated they will start delivering cars to Asia in Q4, with an estimated total of 1,000 deliveries this year.

Ditto here (see sig below). If they only have one production line, perhaps it'll make Euro cars this week and then they'll switch it back and make our cars next week? That doesn't really make sense, nor does it allow for retooling back to the U.S. config or for testing our cars prior to delivery.

Unfortunately it seems like we should be prepared for delays, like you mention.

There's only minor differences between the cars. It amounts to different parts, just like other options. They could probably build them simultaneously, but chances are will switch back and forth as needed (like the other batching they currently do).

@Right_Said_Fred,
I personally prefer RHD but since LHD will become available earlier I'm now more inclined to LHD. Tesla folks mentioned that RHD has higher demand for Model S.
It is somewhat interesting that I feel LHD has been popular for exotic/high-end luxuary cars in Japan, and Tesla Model S collects a bit different crowd as RHD is more popular.

It looks like they did produce a batch of Euro cars early this week - there are several reports of the app status changing from "no vehicle is linked" to "remote access is off" in the Euro delivery sticky. My car entered the production line yesterday, presumably after the first Euro batch completed.

It looks like they did produce a batch of Euro cars early this week - there are several reports of the app status changing from "no vehicle is linked" to "remote access is off" in the Euro delivery sticky. My car entered the production line yesterday, presumably after the first Euro batch completed.

I had remote access yesterday to my car using the US iPhone App. Honked the horn, flashed the lights, and opened the pano roof :)

Location was the factory at Fremont, so looks like its not on a boat for Europe yet.

I had remote access yesterday to my car using the US iPhone App. Honked the horn, flashed the lights, and opened the pano roof :)

Location was the factory at Fremont, so looks like its not on a boat for Europe yet.
And when you did that, they probably switched it off immediately!

But cool, things are really happening now!

I also had contact with my car, it is parked outside at the Freemont factory. EU SIG #52, Deliverly origiinallly JUN/JULY, then modified to early Aug , wonder though what is "early", unless they fly in the first batch of Sigs with Lufthansa Cargo

bilde.PNG

My application went from "no vehicle is linked" to " remote access is off" yesterday. I doubt that production is being switched back and forth between European and American cars, so that only European or American cars are manufactured in a given day. My hunch is that cars are still batched by major options ( battery size, suspension, etc), with American and European cars being produced side by side within the given batch.