Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since latest update, car is swerving on AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t know if anyone else has been seeing this, but ever since I took the first software version that included the “update” to make the car “more aggressive when switching lanes,” I’ve witnessed the car actually be 100x worse at properly tracking the lane markers and staying within the center.

I’m currently running 40.1.1 861901a577f8 (which now may be one or two minor updates beyond the update that enhances lane switching), and what I’m seeing now is the car is having a much more difficult time staying centered when the lane curves more than a little sharply. or when the car pool first opens up, the car will suddenly swerve over to the next lane rather than glide into it like it used to, and this swerving action is now causing the car to ping pong between the lane markers for several seconds.

there have been multiple times during my normal commute now where I’ve had to take control of the car because it was about to cross into another occupied lane or hit a wall, and I’ve never had to do that prior to this update.

Reactions: Maxv
Don’t know if anyone else has been seeing this, but ever since I took the first software version that included the “update” to make the car “more aggressive when switching lanes,” I’ve witnessed the car actually be 100x worse at properly tracking the lane markers and staying within the center.

I’m currently running 40.1.1 861901a577f8 (which now may be one or two minor updates beyond the update that enhances lane switching), and what I’m seeing now is the car is having a much more difficult time staying centered when the lane curves more than a little sharply. or when the car pool first opens up, the car will suddenly swerve over to the next lane rather than glide into it like it used to, and this swerving action is now causing the car to ping pong between the lane markers for several seconds.

there have been multiple times during my normal commute now where I’ve had to take control of the car because it was about to cross into another occupied lane or hit a wall, and I’ve never had to do that prior to this update.

It depends on where I am driving. On the interstate, it swerves quite noticeably. On state routes (which are typically narrower) I hardly feel it. It does seem more noticeable since the last up2

It depends on where I am driving. On the interstate, it swerves quite noticeably. On state routes (which are typically narrower) I hardly feel it. It does seem more noticeable since the last up2

ive been using AP on SoCal freeways extensively for over a year and have never had a problem with it maintaining its center like this until these recent updates. I think the code they injected to make the car more aggressive in lane swapping needs to be corrected ASAP. this thing is literally dangerous in the state it’s in right now.

I came here this morning to post this exact question!!! Yesterday we were driving on a road that we drive *daily* and the auto pilot almost killed us (ok dramatic yes, but from inside the car that's exactly what it felt like). when it was engaged it violently swerved, to the point it made our daughter scream and my wife, who was driving, almost panic stop. i was the passenger and of course logically blamed my wife "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" i believe was my very helpful reply... .she swore it was not her. so engaged auto pilot again and this time it was almost a full on "emergency" stop when another car was passing by (we were on a two lane road).

so to anyone who is thinking "is it me? or is the car" i am here to also say - there is absolutely something wrong since the "christmas upgrade" and it needs to be addressed ASAP by Tesla.

Yes it tried t kill me too... divided highway, tried to take left hand turn/cutout to cross highway ... and blast right through the end of the cut into signs and grass at 80mph, everyone screamed , I jerked it so hard hopefully it sent a report and some programmer just got woken up with massive alerts in California out of his drunken Xmas stupor and is fixing it now. Also sent this bug report : “autopilot tried to kill me” lol

QUOTE="notmyfirstEV, post: 4333847, member: 116900"]I came here this morning to post this exact question!!! Yesterday we were driving on a road that we drive *daily* and the auto pilot almost killed us (ok dramatic yes, but from inside the car that's exactly what it felt like). when it was engaged it violently swerved, to the point it made our daughter scream and my wife, who was driving, almost panic stop. i was the passenger and of course logically blamed my wife "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" i believe was my very helpful reply... .she swore it was not her. so engaged auto pilot again and this time it was almost a full on "emergency" stop when another car was passing by (we were on a two lane road).

so to anyone who is thinking "is it me? or is the car" i am here to also say - there is absolutely something wrong since the "christmas upgrade" and it needs to be addressed ASAP by Tesla.[/QUOTE]

Since last update, on curves the AP goes into curve late and to the outside edge and when curve is complete, it comes out late and goes to inside of curve. This is certainly not the way I drive so it makes me feel uncomfortable. It seems it doesn't stay in center of lane as well anymore.

40.50.1 is causing the same issues for me that @pepcjim and @andy92782 describe. It ping pongs really badly especially when first engaging and seems to enter corners very late and no longer centered. It also seems to want to hug the wrong side of the lane. If I’m in the left lane on a right hand corner it’s hugging the inside which always puts me uncomfortably close to the car in the other lane.

I have noticed the same thing, it was happening before this last update. I am on 2019.40.50.1 and it's bad enough that I don't use AP anymore. Hasn't seemed to be bad enough to be dangerous, it just looks like I'm driving drunk and trying to stay in my lane and isn't comfortable. Haven't had it leave the lane or make any abrupt swerve but constant ping ponging in the lane. I'll try to get a video to post

40.50.1 has me wishing I still had 40.2.1 because AP is behaving so drunkenly now. Its loves trying to swerve over in to turn lanes then violently swerving back to the original lane when it figures out that it shouldn't have moved over. It was doing so well before and I don't know why it regressed like this.

I posted this on another thread. I’ve tested over 100 miles and this solved the problem for me.

I was reading an article about the different reboot types for the Tesla. Basically, soft, hard and power off/reset. The power off method actually powers off pretty much everything in the car (it’s eerie not hearing anything while sitting in the car). I did a “Power Off” to see if it would help with the ping pong since I’ve tried everything else.

Go to the “Safety & Security” in settings. Press “POWER OFF” and wait at least two minutes (very important). You will start hearing things power down during that time. After at least two minutes, hit the brake to power on the car. This apparently reboots everything including the cameras and sensors.

On a side note, take out your USB drive before rebooting and put it back in after it boots up if you are having issues with voice commands. This is a known fix by a Tesla support person. There is a bug that doesn’t allow the communications portion of the software to reboot if the USB is in there.

Let me know! I’m very curious (and happy I didn’t get sick on NOA anymore)

• Informative
Reactions: sslack18
Yes it tried t kill me too... divided highway, tried to take left hand turn/cutout to cross highway ... and blast right through the end of the cut into signs and grass at 80mph, everyone screamed , I jerked it so hard hopefully it sent a report and some programmer just got woken up with massive alerts in California out of his drunken Xmas stupor and is fixing it now. Also sent this bug report : “autopilot tried to kill me” lol

QUOTE="notmyfirstEV, post: 4333847, member: 116900"]I came here this morning to post this exact question!!! Yesterday we were driving on a road that we drive *daily* and the auto pilot almost killed us (ok dramatic yes, but from inside the car that's exactly what it felt like). when it was engaged it violently swerved, to the point it made our daughter scream and my wife, who was driving, almost panic stop. i was the passenger and of course logically blamed my wife "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" i believe was my very helpful reply... .she swore it was not her. so engaged auto pilot again and this time it was almost a full on "emergency" stop when another car was passing by (we were on a two lane road).

so to anyone who is thinking "is it me? or is the car" i am here to also say - there is absolutely something wrong since the "christmas upgrade" and it needs to be addressed ASAP by Tesla.
[/QUOTE]

Your posts made me think of this classic scene from Vacation.