Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since my MC2/HW3 upgrade, the car will not sleep when plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noting that I THINK our car may behaving "differently" now on 2020.40.8 and am curious to know if any of you have seen any change?

The TeslaFi behavior of sleep/wake appears to be unchanged, but the overall range loss is significantly less than it had been since the MCU2 upgrade. Rather than the 12-18 miles of range loss per 24 hour period, over the last 2 days (since installing 2020.40.8) it's only averaged ~5 miles of drain per 24 hour period, which I see as a reasonable amount that's at least comparable to other reports.

Note that TeslaFi added a beta advanced sleep option "polling delay after waking up." Setting this to 6 allows my Model X to sleep like it's supposed to (i.e. 20+ hours at a time if I'm not driving it). I'm currently trying 5 to see if that works. It may be shortening the sleep cycles a little more, but it's not conclusive yet.
Thanks for the tip- Trying it tonight. I’m also going to outright disable TeslaFi (I know I know, it’s one of the first recommended things to try...) if nothing changes over the next day or two.

I’m having the same sleep issue with a 2019 Performance Raven. Check your rearview camera and see if it’s hot. I can tell the car is not sleeping just by touching the camera. I’m not sure if this camera always on, even with Sentry disabled while at home is causing issues since now my 12V battery died on me without warning. The car is only 16 months old.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
According to TeslaFi, the car ate 3% of charge / nearly 10mi of range from 10:45AM to midnight yesterday, but then for the first time since the HW3/MCU2 update, the car slept from midnight to 9AM this morning, which is progress.

Will monitor over the next few days, but I'm starting to suspect it may have been TeslaFi (or some sort of misconfigured TeslaFi setting) that was causing the energy loss as the wake/sleep cycle triggered by Tesla isn't the root cause of the energy loss itself).

According to TeslaFi, the car ate 3% of charge / nearly 10mi of range from 10:45AM to midnight yesterday, but then for the first time since the HW3/MCU2 update, the car slept from midnight to 9AM this morning, which is progress.

Will monitor over the next few days, but I'm starting to suspect it may have been TeslaFi (or some sort of misconfigured TeslaFi setting) that was causing the energy loss as the wake/sleep cycle triggered by Tesla isn't the root cause of the energy loss itself).

I am also noticing that with the latest update the drain seems to be less, but I am still seeing the same pattern of frequently waking up in Teslamate. My Model 3 stays asleep throughout the evening and so did my Model X, prior to upgrading the MCU. If your router has the capability, can you see if the Wifi of your car is constantly connected? Ever since getting the MCU2 upgrade I noticed the Wifi is constantly connected while the Model 3 disconnects once it sleeps.

I am also noticing that with the latest update the drain seems to be less, but I am still seeing the same pattern of frequently waking up in Teslamate. My Model 3 stays asleep throughout the evening and so did my Model X, prior to upgrading the MCU. If your router has the capability, can you see if the Wifi of your car is constantly connected? Ever since getting the MCU2 upgrade I noticed the Wifi is constantly connected while the Model 3 disconnects once it sleeps.
That's a good call - I've got the equivalent of a Ubiquiti setup, so I can turn on my AP monitoring to see what it's doing at night. After a few days, it's reduced to around 5-7mi range loss per day, which is acceptable, though still far more than our MCU1/AP2, which was barely 1mi per day when we let it go into a coma mode.

2017 Model X with upgraded MCU2/HW3. Two cars in the same Tesla account.

The TeslaFi sleep mod helps the car stay asleep, but doesn't help with starting sleep. I use 6 minute delay. If you look at the sleep periods with this sleep mod active you can see it activates every 10-20 min, usually for two minutes. Apparently this is normal operation now, with the car waking up for a short time and going back to sleep.

Every once in a while I see the sleep delay extend to 6 or 7 minutes (or log counts actually) and then the car goes back to sleep mode. So if you have the delay at the default 2 minutes there is a chance TeslaFi will interfere with the car going back to sleep. The flip side of course is that you may miss the first 5 minutes of a drive while TeslaFi avoids logging to let the car go back to sleep.

I now have long periods of sleep in TeslaFi, but I'm still getting long idle periods where the sleep attempts for 20-30 minutes just aren't having any success. For example, it's been Idle since charging a little last night, almost 16 hours now with 34 sleep attempts of 21 minutes (25 min is set). I did change my Tesla account password, so TeslaFi is the only third-party access to my car. The car has been parked in the garage for a couple of weeks, so it should just be sleeping all the time.

• Helpful
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
Note that TeslaFi added a beta advanced sleep option "polling delay after waking up." Setting this to 6 allows my Model X to sleep like it's supposed to (i.e. 20+ hours at a time if I'm not driving it). I'm currently trying 5 to see if that works. It may be shortening the sleep cycles a little more, but it's not conclusive yet.

cwied, did you find the car was able to sleep both when plugged in and not plugged in? Setting the option to a "1" or "2" resolved the issue for me where TeslaFi itself was keeping the car awake when unplugged (11 min sleep / 46 min idle) all the time. Now the car only cycles when it's plugged in.

I just came off an extended bout (3 months) with the Tesla SC where, shortly after upgrading my 2017 MX from AP2/MCU1 to AP2HW3/MCU2 the 12 volt battery started dying every couple of weeks.

The experience forced me to re-evaluate what apps/accessories I wanted to have running and the impact they have on the car.

I love TeslaFi and have been using it since the day I picked up my car it is easily the best tool I've used to know everything about the car. With a LOT of testing I found:

1) Before the Beta "Polling Delay After Waking Up" setting - TeslaFi was absolutely keeping the car awake when not plugged in . Updating this to a "1" for me resolved that issue. The car - for the first time since I have owned it - now sleeps for many hours at a time. Typically waking only when I do something to wake it up. Given that I've monitored the daily drain with and without TeslaFi, I don't see any difference when the car is plugged in if TeslaFi is monitoring or not.

2) As others have found, my car cycles when plugged in (11 minutes sleep / 46 Minutes idle / rinse & repeat). This leads to a battery drain of about 2-3% per day.

3) I have my car set to charge beginning at 1:00 AM to take advantage of EV rates, so I don't have the same concern as some that the car is incrementally charging all of the time. But I agree that the constant cycling is a worry and am now making it a point to unplug it and leave it unplugged when the SOC is something approaching reasonable (i.e. > 50%)

4) Side-note about Sentry mode for completeness as this has probably been done to death elsewhere, but I watched this carefully while evaluating everything else and, with sentry mode active and my home excluded, energy consumption jumps to between 4-6% per day. I can imagine using it briefly for parking in and around the city but it's absolutely useless for what I'd consider the most relevant use which would be parking the car in a long-term parking lot while traveling by plane or ship.

I'm currently sitting with firmware 2020.44 and waiting for the amazing upgrade that will stop the cycling. But at least, since the car is plugged in while it's waking up constantly, I don't have to worry about coming to my car and finding it's SOC uncomfortably depleted. It will top off once a night and start cycling immediately.

Happy to say am not seeing any sleep issue with our X post FSD+MCU2 upgrade, not using TeslaFi, but vampire drain is around 1.5% per day, essentially the same as before the upgrade.

Plugged in also shows same amount of vampire drain.

50619305643_d438ff9417_c_d.jpg

I was having the same issue where the car was previously sleeping and waking every 10 minutes until it completely stopped sleeping for over 12 days. This was with version 2020.44. I reported the issue using the Tesla App scheduling service. They contacted me immediately via text asking for screenshots and more info. I did provide them with details. A day later it started sleeping and this was with version 2020.44. That same day I got an update to 2020.44.15, but I’m sure it wasn’t that version that corrected the problem since it started sleeping again.

I never got a response back on what they remotely did to correct the problem but I’m sure it didn’t fix on it’s own. Before reporting the issue I went through all sorts of troubleshooting steps to try to isolate the problem including resetting my Tesla password in order to disable the Stats App and TeslaFi that I was using. See this thread with my posts:

Car won’t sleep, hot rearview camera possibly causing 12 V battery failure

I still have the scheduled service active since I’m still monitoring how the car is sleeping. I have added the Stats App back and it did not affect the sleep mode. I still have yet to turn on TeslaFi since I want to test for several days with one app at a time to ensure this is not a third party app issue. I don’t think it is since I disabled all apps for several days before I reported the issue to Tesla.

I was having the same issue where the car was previously sleeping and waking every 10 minutes until it completely stopped sleeping for over 12 days. This was with version 2020.44. I reported the issue using the Tesla App scheduling service. They contacted me immediately via text asking for screenshots and more info. I did provide them with details. A day later it started sleeping and this was with version 2020.44. That same day I got an update to 2020.44.15, but I’m sure it wasn’t that version that corrected the problem since it started sleeping again.

I never got a response back on what they remotely did to correct the problem but I’m sure it didn’t fix on it’s own. Before reporting the issue I went through all sorts of troubleshooting steps to try to isolate the problem including resetting my Tesla password in order to disable the Stats App and TeslaFi that I was using. See this thread with my posts:

Car won’t sleep, hot rearview camera possibly causing 12 V battery failure

I still have the scheduled service active since I’m still monitoring how the car is sleeping. I have added the Stats App back and it did not affect the sleep mode. I still have yet to turn on TeslaFi since I want to test for several days with one app at a time to ensure this is not a third party app issue. I don’t think it is since I disabled all apps for several days before I reported the issue to Tesla.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try reaching back out to service to see if they can take a look at it again. If you ever hear anything from service about what might have been done, would appreciate it!

Reactions: Luisito
Quick question that may be really stupid....how do you guys know the car is waking up every 10 minutes? If you are using a 3rd party app to tell you this, how do you know that it isn't that app that is waking it up?

Because I decided to stay in the garage for a few hours and take timestamps of exactly when the car wakes up (clicking sound from HV contractors). No third party app and even change Tesla pw a few times to be extra sure.

• Informative
Reactions: HyperionMark