Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since my MC2/HW3 upgrade, the car will not sleep when plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car will sleep for days when unplugged but as soon as it is plugged in, it will cycle between Park for 12 minutes and Sleep for 10 minutes. This is currently acceptable but very annoying as you have to unplug the car after each charge. This will especially be a problem for pre-charging the car during winter.

Does anybody else have a similar problem and did you find the cause or a workaround.

2017 X MC2/HW3 version 2020.32.3

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I got the similar, but older car, 2016 X MC2/HW3 version 2020.32.

Not having this, except when my wife left her fob in the kitchen close to the garage, car would not sleep. I suspect the range of bluetooth is longer distance now and before it was just outta range. Donno if you have any fobs close or not.

old |v2020.28.5|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|
new |v2020.32.3|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I got the similar, but older car, 2016 X MC2/HW3 version 2020.32.

Not having this, except when my wife left her fob in the kitchen close to the garage, car would not sleep. I suspect the range of bluetooth is longer distance now and before it was just outta range. Donno if you have any fobs close or not.

old |v2020.28.5|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|
new |v2020.32.3|AP2.5,MCU2,PUP|
I tried multiple times and have a very consistent behavior. Other than the plugin state, both are exactly the same environment. I am also placing my key in an RFID pouch when not used.

I just had a service appointment about this issue and they told me this MCU2 behavior is normal. I am sorry but if having the car flip-flopping between sleep and idle 65 times a day is normal, I am ready to bet that most of us will start having electronic problems in a very short period. Just imagine having to live with a PC cycle between sleep and running 24,000 times a year. This appears to be what Tesla is calling normal.

I was told by service that this is a known issue and would be fixed in a future firmware update. Not sure if that is actually true or not, but hoping that it does get fixed at some point. Seems like it doesn't impact all MCU2 upgrades though, not sure what the difference is.

• Helpful
Same here.

2017 Model S with AP2/MCU1 > AP3/MCU2 and seeing the sleep/wake behavior plugged in or unplugged. My TeslaFi shows that it’ll sleep for almost exactly 1 hour before waking up fir 5-30 min (roughly) then back to sleep for an hour.

Our AP2/MCU1 behavior would allow the car to sleep for a day or longer (esp since we’ve been driving very little since March).

2017 Model S with AP2/MCU1 > AP3/MCU2 and seeing the sleep/wake behavior plugged in or unplugged. My TeslaFi shows that it’ll sleep for almost exactly 1 hour before waking up fir 5-30 min (roughly) then back to sleep for an hour

For me, normal behavior is predictable. In this case, it is obviously not predictable and I wish Tesla would use the term “know issue” as stated by dailo. It is interesting that you have a very different cycle time. Your situation is worse than mine as I have the option of unplugging my car. We should gather more info from other TMC users and raise the concern as this may become our next eMMC saga.

Hi @BlueBird ,

My 2018 Model X came with MCU2 and I upgraded to HW3 in December '19.

At 2020.36.11 mine does the alternating park - sleep routine all night when it is plugged in.
When it is unplugged it sleeps a very long time... 8, 10, or 11 hours - However long I leave it.

Some of my observations:
I have the Tesla app. configured to send notifications when charging STARTS...
I get notified when I plug the car in or it starts a delayed charge.

I have seen it charge for perhaps 1 minute and I did NOT get a notification
of charging started...
I think the 30 minutes park followed by 10 minutes sleep may be interrupted
by periods of charging too short to notify the app...

There is something going on with a new 12 volt testing algorithm in the model 3
which gives incorrect information on the Ohmmu battery...
Maybe we also have a new 12 volt testing algorithm that keeps our Models X and S awake
all night...

Just a thought,

Shawn

• Informative
Update to report that the 2020.40.3 update has not appeared to make a difference in my case. TeslaFi reports the exact same behavior as before where it'll sleep for an hour on the dot, then wake/idle for anywhere from ~15-90 minutes, then sleep for an hour, then wake/idle, etc.

On Tuesday morning we charged to 80%.
Tuesday | 78%
Wednesday | 75% (installed 2020.40.3)
Thursday | 72%

Car has not been driven, parked in a temperate garage (TeslaFi shows a low of 68F and a high of 78F during the period), and I think I may have checked the app 1 time during the 3 days. Car was unplugged during this entire window too, just to see what it would do.

Going to charge it to 80% today and do a few errands, will plug it in when we get back and see if there is any difference. I'll also try disabling TeslaFi (even though it shouldn't be poling from the midnight to 8AM window).

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
Update to report that the 2020.40.3 update has not appeared to make a difference in my case. TeslaFi reports the exact same behavior as before where it'll sleep for an hour on the dot, then wake/idle for anywhere from ~15-90 minutes, then sleep for an hour, then wake/idle, etc.

I also confirm that 2020.40.3 has the same behavior but my car has a much shorter cycle 10 mins sleep/12 mins idle. The interesting different is my car immediately go to sleep when unplugged and sleep like a baby for days. As I previously mentioned, I cannot believe such a cycle can be good for the car’s electronics, electric and mechanical components. Just imagine your TV or laptop cycling like this 20 times a day. Tesla probably does not care as many of those problems will start appearing after the warranty expired. This almost look like an eMMC sequel.

• Informative
Reactions: gangzoom
Am due the MCU2 upgrade in 2 weeks, this thread is making me think about cancelling....I still have 12 months of warranty left on my car to cover any MCU1 failture, may be better to wait another 6 months??

Depends on what is more important. The faster response for the MCU2 so far has been worth it, just hoping this problem doesn't cause it to break sooner than expected.