Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since my MC2/HW3 upgrade, the car will not sleep when plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question that may be really stupid....how do you guys know the car is waking up every 10 minutes? If you are using a 3rd party app to tell you this, how do you know that it isn't that app that is waking it up?

That’s a very good point. @uplusd that took you a bit of work. Have you tried also checking if the rearview camera is hot?

I have verified that the cameras are still running even when Sentry mode is off and when the car is not in sleep mode. I also disabled access from all 3rd party apps when I was troubleshooting the lack of sleep. I did suspect it may be TeslaFi but in the past I did not have issues when using it.

This is how I knew the car was waking and sleeping by using TeslaFi:

0AEA9BC3-4788-4AA0-A277-DB33D3024074.jpeg

That’s a very good point. @uplusd that took you a bit of work. Have you tried also checking if the rearview camera is hot?

I have verified that the cameras are still running even when Sentry mode is off and when the car is not in sleep mode. I also disabled access from all 3rd party apps when I was troubleshooting the lack of sleep. I did suspect it may be TeslaFi but in the past I did not have issues when using it.

This is how I knew the car was waking and sleeping by using TeslaFi:

How do I check if the camera is hot? Apologies if it was stated earlier, haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread yet.

I used an Infrared Thermometer (see first page of thread with picture). Sorry forgot to insert the thread:
Car won’t sleep, hot rearview camera possibly causing 12 V battery failure

You can definitely tell by just touching the rearview camera mount, it will be warm or hot to the touch.

Thanks, just tried it with my infrared thermo and it seems to confirm the rear camera is running hot. Garage temperature is 59 degrees F and the repeater cameras are the same temperature. The rear camera measured at closer to 80 degrees F.

Thanks, just tried it with my infrared thermo and it seems to confirm the rear camera is running hot. Garage temperature is 59 degrees F and the repeater cameras are the same temperature. The rear camera measured at closer to 80 degrees F.

The cameras running are just a symptom of the car idling. Just not sure why if you have Excluded Home enabled, Tesla still keeps them on. Bigger issue is why the car is not entering sleep mode. So far mine is back to normal. Just follow the usual culprit settings that don’t allow sleep. If not contact Tesla Service.

I just ran some testing with my latest 2020.44.15 and it is still waking periodically with plugged in. As soon as I unplug, the car will go to sleep almost immediately and will sleep like a baby for days. With winter now at our door, this behavior is getting very annoying as I have to remember to plug the car before driving to warmup the battery, Also, with all the other comments, I am extremely concerned by the negative effect of this constant power cycling. Unless we know what to ask, I believe most SC will be clueless.

The TeslaFi idle delay timer fix worked for my X for the most part. I ended up setting it to 6 minutes. I still had long idle periods, but those have been reduced with 44.15. I don't think it has slept an entire day yet, but the drain has been reduced to a tolerable level now. Always plugged in unless I'm driving.

ETA: The car does wake up every 12-13 minutes. Supposedly that is normal. TeslaFi now just ignores those short waking periods. Normally the car is asleep again after a couple of minutes.

The TeslaFi idle delay timer fix worked for my X for the most part. I ended up setting it to 6 minutes. I still had long idle periods, but those have been reduced with 44.15. I don't think it has slept an entire day yet, but the drain has been reduced to a tolerable level now. Always plugged in unless I'm driving.

ETA: The car does wake up every 12-13 minutes. Supposedly that is normal. TeslaFi now just ignores those short waking periods. Normally the car is asleep again after a couple of minutes.

My model 3 doesn’t wake up every 15 minutes like this - so is this only normal on the X? I notice you have 3 as well

My model 3 doesn’t wake up every 15 minutes like this - so is this only normal on the X? I notice you have 3 as well

No, the 3 has never had a problem sleeping.

It’s not normal for any Teslas to be waking up every 15 minutes. We have an X and my son a Model 3.

My problems started after an MCU1->MCU2 upgrade. It doesn't seem to be a problem for most X's.

I scheduled a service appointment through the app. It was cancelled, but since then a tech at my service center has been looking into this issue. They have texted me at least 10 times with questions and updates. They are still working on it. I have hope they will figure it out. If they do, I'll update with the outcome.

2017 X I just upgraded to MCU 2 last week as well. I noticed a nasty side effect of this behavior yesterday. My X sat for almost 2 days plugged in our garage. During that time I noticed a few times the IC display was on and charge light lit up but didn't think much of it. Went to drive yesterday and the range estimation on the center of the IC was burned into display. I was sure my new IC display was ruined but thankfully after about 15 minutes or so of driving it slowly faded away. This surely isn't a good thing! I'm not sure if after a solid week of doing that the display would be ok.

I enabled scheduled charging last night and it appears that may allow the car to stay asleep.

2017 X I just upgraded to MCU 2 last week as well. I noticed a nasty side effect of this behavior yesterday. My X sat for almost 2 days plugged in our garage. During that time I noticed a few times the IC display was on and charge light lit up but didn't think much of it. Went to drive yesterday and the range estimation on the center of the IC was burned into display. I was sure my new IC display was ruined but thankfully after about 15 minutes or so of driving it slowly faded away. This surely isn't a good thing! I'm not sure if after a solid week of doing that the display would be ok.

I enabled scheduled charging last night and it appears that may allow the car to stay asleep.

made no difference for me. I’ve had scheduled charging enabled since day 1 of upgrade but car still doesn’t sleep

I installed 2020.44.25 today and so far the car is sleeping as normal. 2.5 hours of charging and 1 hour of idle time. The screen went off and stayed off the entire time. I setup my Go Pro in time lapse mode to confirm it was actually sleeping.