Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since my MC2/HW3 upgrade, the car will not sleep when plugged in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not here. Have gotten in habit of charging and disconnecting.

Followed up with chat support as I had opened a ticket about this. Was told the fix was set for 2021.8 branch, this was in May... When asked when the .8 would be pushed as it was already week 17, they didn't reply.

It's been a while, but has anyone had their issue fixed with any of the updates in the past few months?
Hi Marsh1n,

I can say "Nope". There honestly is no rhyme or reason to it. The most familiar cycle for my car is that, when still plugged in after charging it goes into the 18 minute Sleep / 3 minute idle loop and will do that for hours.

Today I unplugged the car around 8:00 AM after 13 such cycles. Then it went into some whacko 42 minutes idle / 7-8 minutes sleeping for a couple of iterations and at about a quarter after 11 am it just stayed in idle and is still idling over 8 hours later.

Yesterday it got about 15 hours of sleep even with 2 drives in there, but the day before it was 5 hours of sleep and awake the rest of the day no driving at all.

Besides TeslaFi (where I am getting these ridiculously granular readings) I have ONLY the Tesla app running on a single device (iPhone).
James of TeslaFi has proven to me that it is highly unlikely to be that app that is the cause of the issue. Based on prior experience I'm willing to bet either bug regressions are being introduced with some firmware updates, or novel unexpected side effects are coming out of enhancements in the firmware.

Even though I've paid for 3 other apps I've kept them out of the mix for nearly a year now to try to figure out how to let my car sleep.

Of course when I'm in my own backyard like this it doesn't matter a whole lot, but I do dread when I next have a vacation and need to leave the car in a parking lot someplace for a week or so. I'm never really sure what I'm going to come back to.

Hi Marsh1n,

I can say "Nope". There honestly is no rhyme or reason to it. The most familiar cycle for my car is that, when still plugged in after charging it goes into the 18 minute Sleep / 3 minute idle loop and will do that for hours.

Today I unplugged the car around 8:00 AM after 13 such cycles. Then it went into some whacko 42 minutes idle / 7-8 minutes sleeping for a couple of iterations and at about a quarter after 11 am it just stayed in idle and is still idling over 8 hours later.

Yesterday it got about 15 hours of sleep even with 2 drives in there, but the day before it was 5 hours of sleep and awake the rest of the day no driving at all.

Besides TeslaFi (where I am getting these ridiculously granular readings) I have ONLY the Tesla app running on a single device (iPhone).
James of TeslaFi has proven to me that it is highly unlikely to be that app that is the cause of the issue. Based on prior experience I'm willing to bet either bug regressions are being introduced with some firmware updates, or novel unexpected side effects are coming out of enhancements in the firmware.

Even though I've paid for 3 other apps I've kept them out of the mix for nearly a year now to try to figure out how to let my car sleep.

Of course when I'm in my own backyard like this it doesn't matter a whole lot, but I do dread when I next have a vacation and need to leave the car in a parking lot someplace for a week or so. I'm never really sure what I'm going to come back to.
That familiar cycle for you is what I'm seeing as well after I'm charged up but still plugged in. Unplugging it does seem to help, but jeez that is some bad vampire drain when it's plugged in. It's clear that their old Model X's aren't really on their radar (or vision system) much anymore.

I have a 2019 Performance Raven and my car hasn’t slept since the 7th of June. It’s been idling the entire time with what I believe no sleep cycles at all. I use to use TeslaFi to monitor the car but stopped since the first thing Tesla will ask you if you’re using third party apps.

Also, for those having this issue, have you noticed the rear view camera is always on when the car is idling. I have measured temps above 122 degrees. That’s how I know the car is not asleep. When I open the app it will typically show the message “Updated yesterday“ instead of the “Waking up” message.

From my experience, it’s a bug on Tesla’s end. I have a scheduled service on the 6th of July, I will share any findings on this thread.

Besides this being a waste of electricity, This causes extra wear on the car. Last fall, my car was turning on every 15 minutes or so before I realized what was happening. I had to replace my on board charger during this time and I'm pretty sure this issue contributed to my problem. Not that Tesla will every say that...

Reactions: gangzoom
I seem to have found a partial solution!!

If I leave the car plugged in, and let the charging stop by it self - so once car reaches the charge limit it stops charging, the car doesn't sleep, as seen by the crazy number of 'spikes' in consumption on the household grid as it wakes up every 15 minutes or so.

51323596583_a1a7e07ed7_c_d.jpg

However if I go into the App and choose to 'stop charging' manually the car than goes to sleep and drain no power. I've checked this three times now, it seem to work!! So it seems like the sleep issue isn't anything to do with the car not been able to sleep when plugged in, but to do with what ever code that runs in the background when the car stops charging by itself after hitting the charge limit??

Anyways, at least now I can leave the car plugged in again with no worries about constant waking and excessive wear on components.

51326101044_e5e5b97a17_c_d.jpg

If I leave the car plugged in, and let the charging stop by it self - so once car reaches the charge limit it stops charging, the car doesn't sleep, as seen by the crazy number of 'spikes' in consumption on the household grid as it wakes up every 15 minutes or so.

However if I go into the App and choose to 'stop charging' manually the car than goes to sleep and drain no power. I've checked this three times now, it seem to work!! So it seems like the sleep issue isn't anything to do with the car not been able to sleep when plugged in, but to do with what ever code that runs in the background when the car stops charging by itself after hitting the charge limit??

Anyways, at least now I can leave the car plugged in again with no worries about constant waking and excessive wear on com

I will definitely try that out. I thought Tesla Mobile solved my sleep issues when they discovered “remotely“ that the MCU’s 8 GB SD card was corrupt. Tesla swapped out the card and the car slept normally for 6 days but now it’s back. This is with a 2019 Performance Raven on software version 2021.4.22.

The only setting that I used that day was Camp Mode during short stop and it was turned off. Just speculating since I can’t seem to get a permanent fix to this issue. The car is always idling and never sleeps. Rear view camera always hot, reached 127.7 degrees the other day. Whenever the camera is hot I know the car is idling.

I have a 2017 X. I got the FSD computer installed last year and had no issues. I got the MCU2 installed last month and my car wakes up about every 2 hours and stays on for about an hour. Doesn't seem to make a difference plugged in or not. I do notice it is quieter now while awake. From the outside, I don't hear any fans running like I would before the MCU upgrade. The only way I can tell it's awake is from the app/widget or charging indicator. It also pulls about 1MB down of web traffic each time it wakes according to my router. In comparison, my 3 only wakes up once or twice a day for only a few minutes if not driven.

Reactions: Luisito

Anyways, at least now I can leave the car plugged in again with no worries about constant waking and excessive wear on components.
Thank you for your finding, GOOD JOB! I tried this yesterday and the car almost immediately went to sleep and 18 hours later, it is still sleeping like a baby. I initially set my charge to 80% and stopped the charging at 70% using the app. I then reduced the charge to 50% to make sure it would not trigger the charging.

I already have a ticket open with my SC on the subject and will forward the details on your theory about the “… code that runs in the background when the car stops charging by itself”.

This work around is not ideal but is much better than having to constantly plug/unplug the car to prevent premature electronic problems.

Thank you for your finding, GOOD JOB! I tried this yesterday and the car almost immediately went to sleep and 18 hours later, it is still sleeping like a baby. I initially set my charge to 80% and stopped the charging at 70% using the app. I then reduced the charge to 50% to make sure it would not trigger the charging.

I already have a ticket open with my SC on the subject and will forward the details on your theory about the “… code that runs in the background when the car stops charging by itself”.

This work around is not ideal but is much better than having to constantly plug/unplug the car to prevent premature electronic problems.

So after 3 days of trying out these steps, still no sleeping. The car has been idling for the most part, a whole week. The one time it did sleep was after a software update 2021.12.25.6 and only for a few hours.

fr100 and others with the same problem, can you check your rear view camera to see if it’s hot? I have found that when its hot it’s definitely not sleeping (idling). I have proven this 100% of the time. Touch the hot camera, open Tesla App and no Waking up message every single time.

The last time Tesla replaced the corrupt 8GB SD card in the MCU but that fix did not last. I’m headed to the SC on the 29th to replace tires and have them diagnose this issue. I will share the findings here.

Found another way to get the car to sleep whilst plugged in.

Instead of using 'start charing at XX:XX', I tried the 'Scheduled departure at XX:XX'.

I than set the off-peak charging times to mirror our cheap electricity rates.

51332158594_0405baf9d7_c_d.jpg

So the car today hit the charge limit by the pre-defined time, and stopped charging by itself. The car than went to sleep by itself, and zero waking up even when plugged in!!! So finally I can leave my car plugged in, whist leaving it to hit the pre-defined charge limit without worrying about the car constantly waking up :)

51339775127_9f3318931c_c_d.jpg

51340499521_5ac30066e1_c_d.jpg

51341826165_31761125a2_c_d.jpg

Found another way to get the car to sleep whilst plugged in.

Instead of using 'start charing at XX:XX', I tried the 'Scheduled departure at XX:XX'.

I than set the off-peak charging times to mirror our cheap electricity rates.

51332158594_0405baf9d7_c_d.jpg

So the car today hit the charge limit by the pre-defined time, and stopped charging by itself. The car than went to sleep by itself, and zero waking up even when plugged in!!! So finally I can leave my car plugged in, whist leaving it to hit the pre-defined charge limit without worrying about the car constantly waking up :)

51339775127_9f3318931c_c_d.jpg

51340499521_5ac30066e1_c_d.jpg

51341826165_31761125a2_c_d.jpg

So last night I tried using scheduled departure and still no sleep. I did a 100% charge since I‘m headed to the Tesla Service center to see what they find.

In case anybody is still monitoring this thread, it seems that my Model X is now (finally) aggressively sleeping since the 2021.24.5 update.

I mean it's night and day. Where it was sleeping pretty well before, often alternating 16 minutes sleep, 45 minutes idle for much of the day, ever since the 2021.24.5 update it sleeps for literally HOURS at a time regardless of whether it's plugged in or not!
It even sleeps when it's not at home (Sentry mode off, of course) which was a rarity before. But now it appears to be the norm.
I imagine this does not affect a lot of people, but I'm pretty pleased with this update.

Oh, and as a sidenote, as of about 3 software updates ago (2021.12.25.7 or 2021.24.2) I was finally able to log into YouTube in my Tesla's entertainment system.

So *somebody* on Tesla's engineering team seems to be fixing these ancient issues...

• Informative
Reactions: gearchruncher
In case anybody is still monitoring this thread, it seems that my Model X is now (finally) aggressively sleeping since the 2021.24.5 update.

I mean it's night and day. Where it was sleeping pretty well before, often alternating 16 minutes sleep, 45 minutes idle for much of the day, ever since the 2021.24.5 update it sleeps for literally HOURS at a time regardless of whether it's plugged in or not!
It even sleeps when it's not at home (Sentry mode off, of course) which was a rarity before. But now it appears to be the norm.
I imagine this does not affect a lot of people, but I'm pretty pleased with this update.

Oh, and as a sidenote, as of about 3 software updates ago (2021.12.25.7 or 2021.24.2) I was finally able to log into YouTube in my Tesla's entertainment system.

So *somebody* on Tesla's engineering team seems to be fixing these ancient issues...
Wish if fixed mine. My car still wakes up periodically and I constantly see it connected to my Wifi. Maybe I'll try support again to see if they find anything wrong.

I am also experiencing this issue (I have posted about it there). The car has not been able to sleep for more than an hour (EDIT: actually a little more than on hour, 3941 seconds to be precise) since the MCU2 upgrade (confirmed through the "dynotest" menu bug from a few firmware versions ago).

I have contacted Tesla and advised me to turn off all third party apps (of course) and turn off Mobile Access in the car. I did for 48 hours, and it got rid of the excessive phantom loss/vampire drain the car has been exhibiting. But then again, it seems a little excessive as a permanent solution... :/.
They also sent me a report of my energy usage over one week, which shows it was almost on spec (but the numbers I have from TeslaFi for the same period are vastly different, especially in regard to idle time).

So right now my choices seem to be:
- Turn off mobile access completely and limit the phantom loss/vampire drain (I cannot confirm that the car is actually sleeping)
- Turn the mobile access on and experience about 100-125W of power use while idle. That's about 3% of power loss a day on my S 75D; and about 4 times what the draw was while idle on MCU1.