Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since Tesla Wall Connectors are out of stock...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the typo correction. It is a 14-50 plug. I measured the temperature at the 14-50 plug, I left ON the stainless steel cover over the outlet.

While there, I also measured the temperature of WC, WC cable to charging handle and charging handle to the car connection. Temperature rise was below 10F above garage ambient temperature. The charge current was 40A.

I'd like to know more information about the ferrule install. I read over the Gen2 install manual and I didn't see anything about that part. If I end up going this route, I'd like to make it as safe as possible but preserving the 14-50 outlet for flexibility.

I had some leftover ferrules of the right size. If you need some ferrules, here is an example of a kit with larger size. You will need a crimping tool.
https://www.amazon.com/RockDIG-Conn...hild=1&keywords=ferrule&qid=1598465503&sr=8-3

A pigtail flexible cable is made of a lot of small copper wire. To have a good connection and keeping the cable secure, it is a good practice to use ferrules.

In my WC Gen2 manual, there is a mention of ferrule.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilot1226
I'd like to know more information about the ferrule install. I read over the Gen2 install manual and I didn't see anything about that part. If I end up going this route, I'd like to make it as safe as possible but preserving the 14-50 outlet for flexibility.
Interestingly, I just read the Gen3 manual carefully, and they strangely do not mention ferrules, whereas the Gen1 and Gen2 manuals did.
Mentions in the Gen2 manual:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439
Page 15 on Tools and Materials Required:
"Ferrules (the diameter of the ferrule depends on the diameter of the power wiring and the
construction)"
Page 19 showing how to attach the wires:
"Strip the service wires going to the
terminal block on the top entry bracket
3/4" (18 mm). Ferrules are recommended."

Wall connector 18" back in stock. Just bought one.

I checked probably 2 hours after you posted. Gone . Never even got a back in stock notification. Been trying to get one of these stupid things for over a month now. Why can't tesla work like every other sensible company and let you backorder one instead of playing this silly jump on the in stock notification game??? Sigh...

Reactions: Rocky_H
It's not unfounded. There are several threads of people having issues with a recent (post May?) batch of Gen 3's indicating an overheat condition and dropping current even when it doesn't appear to be real. A few people have gotten replacement units, but the problem reoccurs. It is likely that Tesla doesn't have enough to support replacements and new purchases. I have one of the affected units, but personally, I'd buy a Gen 2 at this point to avoid the potential hassle. The Gen 3 doesn't really give you anything special unless you have multiple chargers in your future.

What is my other best option? I had an electrician look in my garage and all the electrical is right there, he said its a simple install. His idea was to mount a Nema 1450 wall connector and he said I can use an adapter with that. If and when I can get my hands on the Tesla Wall Charger, would that just plug into the Nema 1450 wall connector that will be installed?

Yes. You can take out the 14-50 outlet and put the wall connector on top of it. Just make sure your electrician rates everything at 60 amps for the 14-50 install (it will be 50 amps until wall connector).

I got this info direct from Tesla home charging and am having my electrician do this on Friday.

Just make sure your electrician rates everything at 60 amps for the 14-50 install (it will be 50 amps until wall connector).
Not everything. You can't use a 60A breaker on it while it has a 50A rated outlet type. But you are allowed to have oversized wire at this point to prepare for making it a larger circuit later.
To be clear, this is two electrician visits ... one for the 14-50 (for mobile charger with $35 14-50 adapter) and two, remove 14-50 outlet and replace with wall connector.
So that second visit would also need to change the breaker from a 50A up to a 60A.

I didn’t read the whole thread, but I just had Tesla out to install the 18’ Wall Connector. They scheduled the install within a week of me accepting the install estimate ($1,500 including wall connector and permits). I was surprised they s he ducked it so soon with the item out of stock online, but the guy coordinating noted that they don’t have stock externally but they do have stock for Tesla installs. He may have known that my MY was within 2 weeks of delivery as well.

I understand at home we are dealing with AC and that AC must be converted to DC to charge the Tesla batteries. So, where does the conversion happen: in the car or at the wall connector?
My guess is that the wall connector converts from AC to DC and the onboard charger uses the DC power to charge the car. Do I have that right? I read that the onboard charger can only handle 32amp. If that is true, even getting a 14-50 line would be limited to 32amp. Looks like the wall connector (when it becomes available) needs to be hard wired. Going from my electrical panel to the garage is over 40’. The install instruction show the wires contained in a conduit. Does code required conduit for the entire run?

I understand at home we are dealing with AC and that AC must be converted to DC to charge the Tesla batteries. So, where does the conversion happen: in the car or at the wall connector?
My guess is that the wall connector converts from AC to DC and the onboard charger uses the DC power to charge the car. Do I have that right? I read that the onboard charger can only handle 32amp. If that is true, even getting a 14-50 line would be limited to 32amp. Looks like the wall connector (when it becomes available) needs to be hard wired. Going from my electrical panel to the garage is over 40’. The install instruction show the wires contained in a conduit. Does code required conduit for the entire run?

The wall connector is basically just an expensive / pretty extension cord. It is meant to be hard wired but it will work fine with a plug as well. The AC to DC conversion happens in the car, and some models are able to AC charge faster than others. Regarding installation, if the wire will be run where it is accessible to people, it must be in conduit. Do your research to determine what kind of conduit and what the ground requirements are for your application.

• Helpful
Since you don’t indicate what kind of car you have, perhaps this will help you answer your own questions:
Onboard Charger

Some kind of sheathing is required, whether that be NM (Romex) or actual metal conduit. There are several charging options available to you and each of those have components of various capabilities depending on your specific needs. People here can certainly help, but unless you are comfortable with electrical circuit lingo, it may be better for you to engage a professional electrician to help you understand your options.

Wow, thanks for the input. A very expensive extension cord but doesn't connect by blue tooth for setting time and length of charge or can that be happen by using the touch screen. I'm one of many waiting for the LR/RWD MY. Seems like I might be able to just have a 14-50 plug installed unless i'm missing extra functions contained in the $500 wall connector.

You manage the charging session from the car or the app...Bluetooth is not required.

You're not missing extra functions. The Wall Connector is only "required" for people with long commutes that would benefit from the maximum possible charging rate and/or people that intend on having multiple chargers as the Wall Connectors can talk to each other (theoretically). You can certainly put in a 14-50 and get a more than adequate charging rate for most applications. You'll still have to answer the question as to whether you want to use the mobile connector that comes with the car or get a second unit you can leave at home plugged in all the time. There are pros and cons to both approaches and you can learn about them by searching the threads on home charging. Here is one to get you started, but there are LOTS of them.
High Power Wall Charger (HPWC) vs NEMA 14-50 Direct Plug

• Helpful