TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Since the Falcon Wing Suppliers Suck, Give me Regular Doors and Roof Rack Hook Ups!!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cbin97, Jan 27, 2016.

1. cbin97

cbin97 Member

If they released a regular door version with roof rack hook ups I would confirm today. I could careless about "billionaire doors." I could put my Thule up there and then I won't care about the middle row folding flat and I am good to go.

Don't get me wrong I love how cool they are and I like the attention they get for the company, but I need my SUV to be practical and I'd rather have racks and no hassle.

2. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Since the antecedent clause of your thread-head is, at best, provocative, it deserves a demonstration of its accuracy before any of your other statements are addressed. It is, however, worse than provocative - I'd call it an actionable falsehood until proven otherwise.

3. dwebb66

dwebb66 Member

Do you even know who is suppling the Falcon Wing doors that are in the shipping cars?

4. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

Better cancel and get your deposit back then.

5. Xpress

Xpress Member

Agree 100%!!

6. equinox1981

equinox1981 Member

Assuming Tesla is still supply (battery) constrained, I wouldn't change a thing if I were them, until they start to become demand constrained.

As soon as they're NOT selling everything they can make, then start cranking out the crowd-pleasing options... normal doors, removable seating, cup-holders, suit hangers on the S, etc...

7. ankitmishra

ankitmishra Member

You are buying the product that Tesla is making. If you don't like, please feel free to skip it. And those doors serve a lot of function and will be a major selling point of X in my opinion.

8. AudubonB

OP's comment wasn't that the doors were a problem, but that their suppliers deserved a four-letter description. That's what I'm challenging.

9. ankitmishra

ankitmishra Member

Nope, he doesn't want them. He thinks they are impractical. I disagree with that point of view. It is a premium feature of X that Tesla hopes will attract a lot of buyers.

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Who is supplying the doors? I thought Tesla made the doors themselves???

11. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#11 hockeythug, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    It is unknown who the supplier is for the electromechanical component design change that made last May.

12. ElectricTundra

At one point a company (in Europe?) was to supply the entire mechanism for the door, both design and manufacture. They failed to deliver. I believe that the result was that Tesla engineers then designed it themselves and sub'd out the manufacture of a few specific components with assembly by Tesla. If so then I'd think the doors would be considered manufactured by Tesla. As to Tesla sucking, I've not seen much indication of that thus far unless you're measuring electrons.

13. nick_083

nick_083 Member

Initially, it was Hoerbiger - the company they are now suing. IDK who is a current supplier
    Tesla sues Model X falcon wing door supplier

But personally, I would also prefer a version with regular doors and without a panorama windshield...

14. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

The Model X has to be a slave to aerodynamics first. Given the shape and the requirement to access the 3rd row from the 2nd row entry, a Model X with conventional doors might not be what you want after all.

15. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I can confidently say that is never going to happen with the Model-X. The whole vehicle frame is designed around the Falcon doors and panorama windshield. They would need to re-design the whole thing to remove one or both of those features (not trivial). You want the Model-S or the up and coming Model-3. The Model-X will always have this windshield and doors.

16. AMN

AMN Member

We don't have any issues with these doors. A little flashy but they work as advertised.

17. roblab

roblab Active Member

PLUS TEN. If you want vanilla CRVs, there are a lot to choose from. I keep thinking out loud to all these people who can't stand change, even GOOD change, "Buy a Honda, Buy a Toyota. If you gotta have eletric, buy a Kia. But don't complain about the X."

18. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

Well the OP is radio silent now. Using his vernacular, I could "careless" [sic] if he ever gets an X with that attitude and false analogy. Perhaps an Astrovan is more his speed. Why would you even purchase this SUV if you wanted to put your stuff on the roof? It had to be the "cool" factor. But now you think the cool factor is lame? Me thinks your $5000 deposit would be better spent elsewhere. What an odd thread to even put out there. #sourgrapes

19. AudubonB

Aah: you are correct. Even the OP's thread head is at odds with the initial post. What a mess.

20. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

#20 CHG-ON, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
    Agree with?

- - - Updated - - -

My opinion is that the MX is not a utility vehicle. It is a luxury people hauler with balls. If we want the utility, then we need to look toward vehicles such as Tahoes, "burbs", 4-Runners, etc. Not the same mission as the MX, in my observation. They certainly play a very valuable and important role for those who need to cart alot around and they seem to be good vehicles. The MX is not that vehicle and never will be.

Re: suppliers that suck: the German supplier is not building the doors. That was brought in house, which is easily verifiable through multiple articles on the topic. I do not know if it is entirely done in house at Tesla. But that is what I have read so far.

Please do more research before claiming that the the product sucks. Reviews so far have been very positive.