Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Since we can not purchase extended warranty directly from Tesla can we do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my understanding is that if you purchase used Model S directly from Tesla you can NOT add extended warranty from Tesla service center.

But if you purchase your car from private party then you can.

What will happen if i sell my Model S (2018 purchased used this year from Tesla) to my wife, or relative and then THEY apply for extended warranty ?

Is that possible?

I still dont understand why we are not allowed to purchase extended warranty
How many miles on your car when you bought it, and when in 2018 was it produced?

Edit: just found this in your other thread. Since the car is still subject to the original new car warranty, I’d show Tesla their own ESA web page that says you’re eligible to buy and keep fighting them on it if you really want to spend the extra money.

Ask another service center. You might get a different answer.

Last edited:
Maybe sounds suspect, yes, but not illegal.

I still dont understand why we are not allowed to purchase extended warranty
What is suspect is whether it’s actually true that you can’t buy an extended warranty for a used Tesla that you purchase from Tesla, but you can if you buy privately. That doesn’t make sense. The previous reply from @Cheburashka makes more sense, if it’s true.

I think what needs to be better understood here, and what I don't think has been clearly stated, is what warranty the OP got when they purchased the car used from Tesla.

The current used vehicle warranty is:
1 yr, 10,000 miles additional coverage beyond the original 4 yr, 50k mile warranty.
or for car where the original 4 yr/50k mile warranty has expired, then 1 yr/10k miles from date of purchase.

I do not recall when this change in used warranty terms occurred, before or after OP purchased their car used. Used purchases originally had even more warranty attractive additional warranty than now. Given they imply the original 4 yr/50k is still active, then I would suspect they have an additional 1 yr/10k miles warranty after the 4y/50k ends per the current terms.

Now, if they wanted to try and negotiate with Tesla to give up the added 1 yr/10k miles of used car full warranty coverage in order to purchase the ESA, at an added cost and with it's $200 per service visit deductible, I'm not sure what Tesla would say. But you'd actually be paying to have worse coverage for the first 1 yr/10k miles after your original 4yr/50k expired.

It's this interaction with the used car warranty, which extends beyond the original 4yr/50k warranty which I think is behind the statement that you cannot buy the ESA on a used car purchased from Tesla, versus you purchased the same car from a private party but without the added used car warranty.

For reference, here's the current used car warranty document from Tesla website.

This is what Tesla site says ' a subsequent private retail purchaser of that used vehicle who purchased or transferred title directly from a private retail purchaser with this Used Vehicle Limited Warranty in effect ".

My understanding is that if i sell my vehicle to other person he CAN purchase extended warranty because he purchased it from private party.

But i can not do it because i purchased it from Tesla.

Does not have sense at all.

Im just going to sell it to my relative before warranty expire and then let him get warranty from tesla.

After that im going to re-purchase my car from him.

I dont think im braking any law doing this

You have yet to explain why you think you can't purchase the ESA, what Tesla told you in this regard, and why you think an additional private party sale will change anything. Your excerpt from the used vehicle limited warranty doc doesn't seem to have any relevance to this discussion at all.

You have yet to explain why you think you can't purchase the ESA, what Tesla told you in this regard, and why you think an additional private party sale will change anything. Your excerpt from the used vehicle limited warranty doc doesn't seem to have any relevance to this discussion at all.
Tesla website is very clear - Used cars purchased directly from Tesla are not qualified for extended warranty

This is what Tesla site says ' a subsequent private retail purchaser of that used vehicle who purchased or transferred title directly from a private retail purchaser with this Used Vehicle Limited Warranty in effect ".

My understanding is that if i sell my vehicle to other person he CAN purchase extended warranty because he purchased it from private party.

But i can not do it because i purchased it from Tesla.

Does not have sense at all.

Im just going to sell it to my relative before warranty expire and then let him get warranty from tesla.

After that im going to re-purchase my car from him.

I dont think im braking any law doing this
Wouldn’t your plan to sell and then repurchase the car require both you and your relative to pay sales tax and registration fees? That could cost you more than what the warranty would save you. Better think that through.

Wouldn’t your plan to sell and then repurchase the car require both you and your relative to pay sales tax and registration fees? That could cost you more than what the warranty would save you. Better think that through.
If a car has passed through a dealership at any time, it no longer qualifies for the ESA. XCare can help. Click HERE for a no hassle quote.