TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Singapore worlds first country to launch autonomous vehicles (8-25-16)

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by RubberToe, Aug 25, 2016.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

• Informative x 1
  2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Those articles don't give much detail, but it sounds like the autonomous EV trial is being conducted in a very limited area, I suspect the cars are limited to quite low speeds.

I lived in Singapore for almost 4 years in the 90's. I am not surprised to see that sort of advanced technology be tested there.

3. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

First? What about Masdar City's autonomous pod system?

Oh, "commercial". Yeah. Qualifiers.

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Maybe if they release sufficient manual takeover data then they can say that they've launched

5. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Over the past several years, I've taken Big Data classes at MIT, They've been working on this project for quite awhile. Most of the data we used in class was collected by taxis installed with sensors, as well as sensors installed in consistent frequencies through the city/state for the past several years. The data was ours to analyse, map, challenge etc. - very consistent data sets allowed for predictable paths to be calculated and 'manually' implemented to control congestion & flow. The implementation of autonomous taxis was the end game when the project began 6 years ago. It was/is the perfect pilot......fascinating stuff.

• Informative x 2
  6. voyager

voyager Member

Car sharing, ride services, carpooling on demand, self-driving taxi's... Where will Tesla fit in?

[​IMG]

7. DAMON FELKER

DAMON FELKER Member

NICE,
    I WISH CALIFORNIA POLITICIANS WOULD STEP TO THE PLATE