Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Singapore worlds first country to launch autonomous vehicles (8-25-16)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RubberToe

Supporting the greater good
Jun 28, 2012
El Lay
  • Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Those articles don't give much detail, but it sounds like the autonomous EV trial is being conducted in a very limited area, I suspect the cars are limited to quite low speeds.

I lived in Singapore for almost 4 years in the 90's. I am not surprised to see that sort of advanced technology be tested there.

Singapore today became the first country in the world to launch commercial autonomous vehicle service:

All-electric self-driving cars are hitting the streets of Singapore for nuTonomy’s robotaxi project

Singapore rolls out world’s first self-driving taxis

As you would expect: drivers ready to still take over, limited service area, limited pickup/dropoff areas, slowly expanding service area, and slowly expanding fleet.

Say what you will, nevertheless, the first step has been taken ;)

RT

Over the past several years, I've taken Big Data classes at MIT, They've been working on this project for quite awhile. Most of the data we used in class was collected by taxis installed with sensors, as well as sensors installed in consistent frequencies through the city/state for the past several years. The data was ours to analyse, map, challenge etc. - very consistent data sets allowed for predictable paths to be calculated and 'manually' implemented to control congestion & flow. The implementation of autonomous taxis was the end game when the project began 6 years ago. It was/is the perfect pilot......fascinating stuff.

Car sharing, ride services, carpooling on demand, self-driving taxi's... Where will Tesla fit in?

Coming%2Bfull%2Bcircle%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Singapore today became the first country in the world to launch commercial autonomous vehicle service:

All-electric self-driving cars are hitting the streets of Singapore for nuTonomy’s robotaxi project

Singapore rolls out world’s first self-driving taxis

As you would expect: drivers ready to still take over, limited service area, limited pickup/dropoff areas, slowly expanding service area, and slowly expanding fleet.

Say what you will, nevertheless, the first step has been taken ;)

RT
NICE,
I WISH CALIFORNIA POLITICIANS WOULD STEP TO THE PLATE