Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Charger = 40A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Doug_G

Lead Moderator
Global Moderator
Apr 2, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
The single charger is rated at 10 kW. This led to a question on the forums about whether it might be able to draw more than 40A if it were available. For example, would it draw 50A from a 200V source?

Well, the not-terribly-surprising answer is no. We have a visiting Model S out back right now, plugged into our CS-90. The car has a single charger, and the voltage being delivered is 204V (we have three phase source here, nominally 208V). Despite the lower voltage, the maximum current you can dial in is 40A. So it is getting 8 kW.

I made the single charger choise based on the fact that most of the charging station "were" 30 A and that the supercharger network will come in a near futur. I was not expeting Suncountry to put 90A AC station.
However going with a single charger is not that bad. We did a roundtrip Montreal/Ottawa and a total of almost 450 Km, leaving home without the max range charge as I was coming back from work and didn't spend enough time to fully charge. So we use a total of 97 Kw to cover the 450 kms.
Thanks to Doug we had 2 hours a 40 A 200 V (8 kW), and thanks to Ottawa city Hall we added a 2 hours at 30 A 240 (7 Kw).
During the night the car was outside in cold weather, and plugged on a 12A 110V outlet. (This was just enough to keep the charge: 10 hours and rated range going from 178km to 201km includiong the warm up of the car before leaving. Outside temp was below 0 celsius.
So with double charger, I may have saved 1 hour of charging in my trip. Considering that i left the car unplugged for 4 hours during some activities in Ottawa, I may have even more if needed.

The rule that I apply for the ranges was to have all the time:
rated range = 1,5 distance to destination (+ 50 %)
Projected range = 1,3 distance to destination (+30%)

When range were over the requested number I drove without any restrictions, when range were under, I drove a little bit more carfully and very quickly get back in the numbers.

I arrive home with 35 km on rated range which was perfect to see the limitations that appears on max instant energy under 70km rated range left, and under 60 km left the gauge turn brown.

When i parked the car with 35 km left, I got a message explaining the risk of battery damage if I left the car unplug in cold weather, so i plugged it at home.
And my model S now have 1,000 KM !!!!
Here are some pictures.

tesla012.jpg

tesla013.jpg

tesla014.jpg

tesla015.jpg

Mods, feel free to move it as it covers various topics in it.

I made the single charger choise based on the fact that most of the charging station "were" 30 A and that the supercharger network will come in a near futur. I was not expeting Suncountry to put 90A AC station.
I arrive home with 35 km on rated range which was perfect to see the limitations that appears on max instant energy under 70km rated range left, and under 60 km left the gauge turn brown.

When i parked the car with 35 km left, I got a message explaining the risk of battery damage if I left the car unplug in cold weather, so i plugged it at home.

This was a great trip! My point is only that the biggest "disadvantage" of an electric car is slow charging (when no supercharger). So, I think the upfront twin-charger cost compared to adding it later is a super deal. In true cold weather, your trip would have been way different. I had challenges doing Montreal-Quebec when I got my car at the end of December. However, now I can stop in Trois-Rivieres for a coffee for 30-45 min., and thanks to a CS-90 charger get the safety buffer needed without waiting too much.

Might be a second advantage to having 2 chargers. Hopefully if one dies the other will continue to operate so that your car is still useable while waiting for the dead one to be replaced. Obviously if you have only one and it dies, you certainly can't charge the car any longer.