Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single click/knock noise when accelerating or slowing to a stop - MYP

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
I have a brand new MYP, and ever since pick up, I've noticed that when accelerating even just very lightly to say, 10mph, there will be a small short clicking noise coming from what sounds like the driver's side rear axle.

When I slow down to a stop, it also seems to be triggered. It's quite frustrating to have this on a new car... I did a search and all I could find was what sounds like a similar issue for an older MX.

Any MYP owners having this issue?

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
Are you using the “Hold” stop mode? If so, the clicking sound is the solenoid deactivating/activating the brake for you.
I am using Hold mode, but it's when the car is accelerating, and it can be clearly heard from the rear. It's not regen itself that's causing this sound.

AlexHung

Mar 13, 2021
Santa Cruz, CA
I am using Hold mode, but it's when the car is accelerating, and it can be clearly heard from the rear. It's not regen itself that's causing this sound.
I wasn’t referring to regen, I was talking about the actual disc brakes.

But what you described sound like something else. Could be a loose item rolling back and forth in the trunk/sub-trunk.

Watuwant320

Orderd 6/12 SoCal MYP MSM Blk Int No Tow/FSD
Jun 27, 2021
Los Angles
I recently took delivery of a MYP a few weeks ago and I noticed the sound today. I found it was the seat making the clicking sound. I was able to reproduce the sound by leaning in the seat in different directions and moving it with my hand when I was out of the car. I sent a message to the service advisor and I'm waiting on a response. its loud and very aggravating.

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
What ended up being the cause of the clicking?
They greased the axle and it’s mostly dissipated. I might bring it in again later to see if they can look at any other causes.
I recently took delivery of a MYP a few weeks ago and I noticed the sound today. I found it was the seat making the clicking sound. I was able to reproduce the sound by leaning in the seat in different directions and moving it with my hand when I was out of the car. I sent a message to the service advisor and I'm waiting on a response. its loud and very aggravating.
I will try to see if it’s also my seat too.
because as you know sound can be difficult to find the location of and sometimes it sounds like it’s coming from the back of the car when they’re actually underneath you

powaking

Feb 1, 2018
Massachusetts
I am hearing a clicking noise in the same scenario; slight acceleration to about 10mph and also regen from same speed. I hear 2 clicks. SC recently (about a month ago) replaced both front shafts but since I don’t normally have my windows down I’ve only heard this recently.

MatildaModel3

Apr 15, 2017
Chicago
Mine has seemingly gone away - SC said they greased the rear axle or something like that. AT first when I received it back after service it still happened sometimes, but now maybe after it's been broken in, I think it maybe happens only 5% of the time anymore.

powaking

Feb 1, 2018
Massachusetts
Mine has seemingly gone away - SC said they greased the rear axle or something like that. AT first when I received it back after service it still happened sometimes, but now maybe after it's been broken in, I think it maybe happens only 5% of the time anymore.
Interesting. Found another thread where it was mentioned that the axel nut may be slightly loose. And quick tightening of the nut fixes the issue. Makes me wonder if they didn’t properly torque down the nut when my axels were replaced(??). Will try that but need to get torque specs first.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
I just noticed this when my wife was backing into the garage. I was standing outside and heard the axle click every time she inched back. The service tech seemed to know what the issue was right away- "greased and retorqued axles"

1631314091881.jpeg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC