Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single click/knock noise when accelerating or slowing to a stop - MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I have the same noise in my Jan 2021 built MYP. Started after several months in August 2021. First from one side. Then on both sides. It’s a metallic click sound that at first I thought I got something loose under the rear seats. But then we heard it from the outside too. It only happened under rapid acceleration and deceleration (so there is a toggled shift of something in suspension in both directions. Lately it happens when going over large bumps like entering a driveway curb. So vertical acceleration too.

When I finally took it to Tesla service in Nov 2021, they changed all rear brakes, rotors, pads, lubed all they could and retorqued every bolt. It did not solve problem.

Next day I was accepting that the whole car will have to be taken apart but got a message from service that they consulted with Tesla engineering and apparently it’s a known issue that Tesla knows and is working on a fix for. Message says “the noise is coming from where the subframe bolts up in the rear of the vehicle.” But is not a safety issue (wheels won’t come off).

I followed up just a few weeks ago in mid-Feb 2022 and there is still no fix for it.

I’m thankful Tesla was very forthcoming with the cause of the noise.

The noise to the best of my interpretation sounds like two large steel balls collide. It’s always a single click per each side. I got used to it by now but worries me a bit it started happening lately with vertical accelerations when going over large bumps.

Anyone else has this or knows more? Diagrams of where this is actually happening and potentially how?
Any update on this? I seem to be having a similar issue. At a stop if I lightly step on the foot pedal and release it feels like something is loose and I hear a sound under me on the drivers side.

Reactions: beachmiles
Keep us updated. They're sending a mobile tech to diagnose for me, but will most likely need to take it in to a service center.
I wish they would do this for me as I am 1.5 hrs from the SC. Even if it ends up not something the mobile tech can fix, at least having them diagnose the issue so that the SC has any necessary parts, etc, to quickly take care of it when I show up would be helpful.

I wish they would do this for me as I am 1.5 hrs from the SC. Even if it ends up not something the mobile tech can fix, at least having them diagnose the issue so that the SC has any necessary parts, etc, to quickly take care of it when I show up would be helpful.
Mobile tech was pointless. It sounds like it's at least under the carpet and even for that I need to take it to the service center.

• Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
My 2nd sc visit yesterday for the clicking and the sound is back already. Not as frequent but so frustrating for a new car with less than 1500 miles on it. Just sent a message to sc. 1st visit they lubed the hubs 2nd visit they re torqued the axle nuts. Not feeling hopeful.

My 2nd sc visit yesterday for the clicking and the sound is back already. Not as frequent but so frustrating for a new car with less than 1500 miles on it. Just sent a message to sc. 1st visit they lubed the hubs 2nd visit they re torqued the axle nuts. Not feeling hopeful.
Thanks for the detailed info. Hopefully they settle in and it stops….if thats the issue. Im going to live with it for now. For reference I have about 1000 miles

This was my 3rd visit and second SC. They also said an axle was a bit loose! so far so good! Tech. told me they have to use correct tool to get the lube behind the splines.

Concern: [REPEAT] Clicking noise
Verified click type noise when going from reverse to drive. Pressed in all 4 axles, lubricated axle
splines and retorqued axle nuts. Post repair road test, concern corrected.
Correction: Noise/Vibration: Verify And Inspect On-Site

Reactions: ROB_310
I have the same issue. Mine is almost always occurs during a hard acceleration. Sometimes at deceleration. I can only hear it with the window open. Taking it into the SC tomorrow.

Let us know what you find out.

After bringing mine to the SC the noise is back. They said nothing was loose and that they lubricated everything needed. Sound was gone for about a month before it came back. Unfortunately my SC is 1.5 hours away so I have been putting it off on bringing it back.