Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single-DIN non-flip-out CarPlay headunit for Roadster 1.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know one of these exists, but I don't remember the model number or brand and can't find it for the life of me. There's a single DIN headunit out there which doesn't have a flip out screen (flip out screens apparently hit the wiper switch on Roadsters), and has CarPlay. I don't know why I can't find the thread because I'm pretty sure it was posted about on here. Can anyone possibly remind me of which unit I'm thinking of?

Just installed a Sony XAV-AX8000 8.95" yesterday for CarPlay usage in my Roadster. It's a little big and mounted high but that gives a Model 3/Y style. Like it very much so far. Very responsive.

Attachments

• IMG_3048.JPG
    IMG_3048.JPG
    491.2 KB · Views: 121
Here are (finally) some photos of the Sony XAV-AX7000 installed in VIN 55. The guy who did the installation produced a laser-cut Lexan surround, which really makes everything look like it was made to be there.

In a 1.5, the screen hangs down a bit over the trinket tray, and I find it’s the perfect spot to store my iPhone after plugging in for CarPlay. Very happy with this unit.

586E48E5-F9E4-4087-94FC-53F6495753B4.jpeg
AACB2CC2-D71F-4C32-8D48-34AF9A78BFA0.jpeg
789621B5-088B-433F-9C8C-5CEDF802CDF4.jpeg
DDE9339B-6E30-4C21-8A0D-95441003A002.jpeg

Interesting, wonder how it would look without the lexan. Nice to see that it all fits quite well though!
Without the Lexan, it looked OK, but there were gaps all around. Not ugly, but visible.

The installer saved the files for laser cutting, and will sell the Lexan surround to anyone who wants it. Contact Ata at Absolute Electronix in Rockville, MD.

I know one of these exists, but I don't remember the model number or brand and can't find it for the life of me. There's a single DIN headunit out there which doesn't have a flip out screen (flip out screens apparently hit the wiper switch on Roadsters), and has CarPlay. I don't know why I can't find the thread because I'm pretty sure it was posted about on here. Can anyone possibly remind me of which unit I'm thinking of?
Did you ever pick anything?

The joying 6.2" you were looking for in the prior thread isn't available anymore.

Hoping to find something that fits nicer than the Sony XAV-AX7000.

Any other recommendations?

I have the Pioneer AVH-3500NEX single din unit with the flip out screen. I used my trusty Dreml to cut off 1/8" from the outer end of the wiper stalk and glued the end cap back on. You cannot see the modification and the screen opens and closes with no conflict. Works great. Only drawback is that in very hot weather I close the screen so I can open the center ac vents. Love the unit. My roadster came with the upgraded sound system (amp and sub) and this head unit sounds great! Does not have wireless car play so you have to plug your phone in. But I understand that Amazon has a wireless carplay adapter for $99. I've had the unit for about 2 years and it's been flawless. Plus it plays CD's as well, and the BluTooth is error free.