Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single outlet meter recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar to the Energy Monitor thread does anyone have recommendations for just a single outlet meter? Kill-a-watt seems to be the common one but there are a few other brands.

My use case is simply for outage planning and during an outage. We had really widespread outages last night due to wind, luckily we weren't affected, but I got to wondering what in my house I'd look to turn off to conserve the Powerwall. I also have a harness and inverter for my Volt that can provide 120v power from the traction battery and while the Volt keeps track of battery state and power consumed from it's perspective I'd want a meter post inverter to compare consumed vs provided for planning during an outage.

Similar to the Energy Monitor thread does anyone have recommendations for just a single outlet meter?
Kill-a-watt seems to be the common one but there are a few other brands.

My use case is simply for outage planning and during an outage.
We had really widespread outages last night due to wind, luckily we weren't affected,
but I got to wondering what in my house I'd look to turn off to conserve the Powerwall.
If you want to monitor your consumption, there are some devices like Sense that could be helpful.

This could help you selecting which device should be connected to your emergency power outage.

Last edited:
Perhaps I should have clarified better that I'm specifically not looking for a multi outlet or whole home consumption system because I don't care about what uses what when at all times and aren't looking to optimize my home usage during non-outage scenarios. Systems like sense and IotaWatt are way overkill for what I'm looking to do.

A single 120v in line meter recommendations is what I'm looking for. :)

I also have a harness and inverter for my Volt that can provide 120v power from the traction battery
and while the Volt keeps track of battery state and power consumed from it's perspective
I'd want a meter post inverter to compare consumed vs provided for planning during an outage.

Perhaps I should have clarified better that I'm specifically not looking for a multi outlet or whole home consumption system because I don't care about what uses what when at all times and aren't looking to optimize my home usage during non-outage scenarios. Systems like sense and IotaWatt are way overkill for what I'm looking to do.

A single 120v in line meter recommendations is what I'm looking for. :)

I use separate Wattmeters to specific circuits, this allows me to have a good idea of the consumption
used to charge my car, run the air conditioning, cooking...

You could put a Wattmeter before and after your inverter to estimate its efficiency.
I noticed that the inboard car charger of my car from energy delivered to energy stored in the battery
is about 88% efficient or has 12% loss. I wonder if this can answer your request?

61TUWENGu8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

i purchased one on amazon mainly for the hz reading to see how powerwalls / panels behaved off grid when batteries approached full capacity. It has a lot of additional useful functions and was under $20 when I purchased it. Works great !
(Poniie PN1500)
A kilowatt alternative I suppose