Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single piston rear caliper retraction method?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the correct method to retract the rear caliper piston on the single piston rear calipers (with integrated parking brake)? Because the caliper itself doesn't have a way to access the piston from the front due to the "Tesla" cover, wasn't sure if its just a pressure or rotation method to pull that piston back into the caliper. Any help, guidance or links would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know the correct method to retract the rear caliper piston on the single piston rear calipers (with integrated parking brake)? Because the caliper itself doesn't have a way to access the piston from the front due to the "Tesla" cover, wasn't sure if its just a pressure or rotation method to pull that piston back into the caliper. Any help, guidance or links would be greatly appreciated.
On my car (2020, single piston, integrated parking brake) the rear caliper has to be rotated to compress. Pressure will not work. I have a kit with various "disks" to fit screw down pistons. The cover you reference made it impossible to use it as designed but it is possible to lock onto the piston and compress it. A right angle pliers would be slow but should work. Pay attention to the orientation of the pistons. The pistons and pads have to "lock" into one another.

Reactions: Mwy23
On my car (2020, single piston, integrated parking brake) the rear caliper has to be rotated to compress. Pressure will not work. I have a kit with various "disks" to fit screw down pistons. The cover you reference made it impossible to use it as designed but it is possible to lock onto the piston and compress it. A right angle pliers would be slow but should work. Pay attention to the orientation of the pistons. The pistons and pads have to "lock" into one another.
Thank for sharing! I have a similar kit with discs as well. How did you manage to use those discs to compress the piston?

I recently came across a model 3 video where they removed the e-brake motor to gain access to a 6mm hex to turn the piston from the back of the caliper.

Thank for sharing! I have a similar kit with discs as well. How did you manage to use those discs to compress the piston?

I recently came across a model 3 video where they removed the e-brake motor to gain access to a 6mm hex to turn the piston from the back of the caliper.
I turned the disk with a channel lock pliers. A little awkward but probably less involved than removing the e-brake motor. Maybe not, and I'll certainly investigate that option next time the brakes are due to be cleaned and lubed.

Reactions: Mwy23