Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single to Double DIN upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update on this. Some Elise owners managed to get the parts.

199829_10150158968826183_614181182_8893389_5740588_n.jpg

lotus1.jpg

according to jake joseph at menlo park tesla "As regards to the DDin radio, sadly that retrofit is not available."

i'd be curious to understand how your friend got this done.

in discussions with tesla menlo park today, they said they did not see a part listing for this bracket:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3863&d=1326443320.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=3864&d=1326443324.jpg

there was also some uncertainty (without a lot of research into it) about the extent of the rest of the necessary parts to be replaced... for example whether it would be necessary to install the whole new dash top in order to do the upgrade cleanly.

does anyone have a photo of the dash with the radio and vent binnacle covers/cowl removed? (preferably for both a 2.0 single DIN and a 2.5 double DIN for comparison purposes)

at least one owner i spoke with got the parts for the double DIN upgrade from tesla and had a third party installer perform the installation work. i wonder if they put in a new dash-top or if they just cut the existing dash top to clear. also, i wonder how they fabricated or otherwise worked around the bracket which apparently does not have its own order-able part number at the moment.

CIMG0028 copy.jpg
CIMG0015.jpg

Last edited:
in further discussion with menlo park on the DDIN upgrade, the following parts were identified as being necessary:

• Double Din (DDin) Dash
  • DDin face plate (Plastic or Carbon Fiber)
  • Upper cowl (Plastic or Carbon Fiber)
  • DDin Support Bracket (unavailable)
  • DDin AC Vents (2)
  • DD AC Baffle
Along with the following to bring the package to stock 2.5 DDIN state:

• Alpine DDin radio
  • Alpine Harness
  • Bluetooth Pack
  • HD Radio Pack
The above parts "come out to $7500 [in CF] ... not including labor."

"I touched base with our shop foreman, he mentioned the most difficult part is modifying the AC baffle (pic attached). Not having ever performed this, the time involved is unknown."

attachment.php?attachmentid=3915&d=1326990228.jpg

for the AC baffle... from the picture it looks to me like you'd need to drill out the rivets holding the single DIN AC baffle and break the caulk seal, remove the old extant caulk/sealant and then rivet in the replacement double DIN AC baffle and re-caulk/seal. actually, probably you'd put in a bead of the sealant before riveting.

Dash Baffle.JPG

can anyone help me find an image of a stripped single DIN dash?

i was pretty certain i'd seen it in a discussion of the double DIN upgrade potential when i first read through the forum a few months ago but i cannot find it now.

i am mostly curious to see how difficult it looks to install the currently unavailable "DDIN support bracket" starting from a single DIN dash (e.g., do you have to cut/grind a continuous metal frame and drill new holes or just drill out rivets that attach an analogous bracket and rerivet, etc.)

thanks!

[update with helpful reference from smoothoperator]

3405404642_fdb1c406be_b.jpg

Last edited:
can anyone help me find an image of a stripped single DIN dash?

i was pretty certain i'd seen it in a discussion of the double DIN upgrade potential when i first read through the forum a few months ago but i cannot find it now.

i am mostly curious to see how difficult it looks to install the currently unavailable "DDIN support bracket" starting from a single DIN dash (e.g., do you have to cut/grind a continuous metal frame and drill new holes or just drill out rivets that attach an analogous bracket and rerivet, etc.)

thanks!

Here is a partial picture of a single din dash from this thread:

2.5 Double Din Radio Bezel/surround for the NAV option.

3405404642_fdb1c406be_b.jpg

Clearly the original opening was cut through and that top bracket was added. What car was this again? Was this done by Tesla or a third party?

this was a car at the tesla menlo park service center. the folks at the service center indicated that this was the design of the DDIN 2.5 roadsters. if i understand correctly, this particular car was an "engineering" car used in the testing/development of the 2.5 model update that had recently been raffled off to a tesla employee and that was now undergoing a bunch of necessary repair/service for the new tesla-employee owner. (i regret not noting the VIN.)

notwithstanding the unusual provenance of this particular roadster, i came away thinking that this was the shipping 2.5 double DIN design (presumably with a change in dash frame tooling to more cleanly "cut" the older single-DIN integral bracket/frame area.)

in part i believed this to be the case since the tesla service folks seemed to think that top bracket was a potentially gettable part as opposed to an unobtanium one off (though they could not find a discrete part number for it.)

maybe i misunderstood and this just represents an interim/unreleased rework DDIN solution (of a riveted in DDIN top bracket) that menlo park tesla thought they could possibly offer if they got some of that early/prototype bracket... in which case some or all of the 2.5 models might have a dash with an integrally formed top bracket.

does anyone have a photo of this area in a known release 2.5 model?

Last edited:
Hi I just found this thread, I was referred over here from LotusTalk and have heard nothing but good things.

I own a Carbon Fiber fabrication company here in Cincinnati, Concept:Carbon. Currently we do high end automotive custom CF work, our main client is a sister company of D.U.B. I own a 240 Exige and have started to develop custom parts for a lotus line we are releasing. We are looking to bring the double din to our line up.

After scanning through this thread it seems like you guys are having a more of a engineering issue with the retro fit and from a Lotus standpoint we have the same issues. After a lot of sleepless nights looking into these issues (1am here atm :biggrin: ) I am confident that we can make a dummy proof conversion kit, brackets and all. Given the similar DNA the kit would solve both our problems. The only hiccup we have is finding the double din pieces to mold from, because we are starting with a Lotus. I hope I am not stepping on anyone's toes in asking if anyone here is willing to work with us to order the plastic version of the set up so we can put a prototype together. We will definitely make it worth it, either money for your time, or dibs on our first batch of kits, we'll work something out. :smile: Just send me a PM here or shoot me an email.

Any help you can offer us we greatly appreciate. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Chris Hundley
Concept:Carbon
[email protected]

PS- I'll fix any errors in the morning, I need some sleep :scared: