Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single wipe switches on the headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent this to Tesla as a bug but haven't heard back anything else than they would look into whether or not it's on purpose or not.

I find it very annoying that my headlights turn on every now and then when driving on the motorway. I've seen more than once that the car in front of me quickly pulles to the right because he must have felt I blinked at him, to indicate I want to pass. Which was not my intention. This "feature" makes my appear more aggressive in the traffic, so now I'm reluctant to apply windshield fluid or remove mist from the windshield whenever there's a car just in front of me.

I have discovered that if you turn the headlights off that they will not come on for a single wipe. An extra step, and annoying, but at least an option to lights going on and off repeatedly.

What bugs me much more is that the headlights come on when you drive into your own garage. So they come on and turn off immediately when you turn of the car which is unnecessary cycling of the lights. They could easily put a geofence around your home location and not turn on the lights automatically when driving in the garage.

What bugs me much more is that the headlights come on when you drive into your own garage. So they come on and turn off immediately when you turn of the car which is unnecessary cycling of the lights. They could easily put a geofence around your home location and not turn on the lights automatically when driving in the garage.
the lights come on because you have them on auto, I am certain that your garage is much more dark than it is outside in daylight, such a change activates the light to come on. if this really disturbs you the easy fix is to disable the auto on function.

the lights come on because you have them on auto, I am certain that your garage is much more dark than it is outside in daylight, such a change activates the light to come on. if this really disturbs you the easy fix is to disable the auto on function.

I know why it comes on and I do want them to come on automatically when I drive but I wish I could disable it via a geofence option in my garage.

While this works when arriving, it doesn't for leaving. I can sit in the car, slide to off, press the brakes, and the car goes back to auto and turn on the headlights.

its amazing that headlights turning on bothers people so much. Canadians have to drive with daytime running lights 24/7 anyways, even in broad daylight.

Daytime running lights are not the headlights, they're the "eyebrows", plus it's more the on-off-on-off-on-off that is bothering me. I'd be OK if they stayed on or off, just wish they would stop going back and forth.

Reactions: mrElbe
jdw, exactly! The on-off-on-off :(
And thanks for the "turn off"-tip, I'll do that next time I'm cruising behind other cars on the motorway and need to wipe, without having to appear as if I blink at the car in front of me.

jdw, exactly! The on-off-on-off :(
And thanks for the "turn off"-tip, I'll do that next time I'm cruising behind other cars on the motorway and need to wipe, without having to appear as if I blink at the car in front of me.

Totally happened to me last week. The driver in front of me was happy to show me his rage thinking that I was flashing at him to speed up or something (was on AP and wanted to clear the windshield).

its amazing that headlights turning on bothers people so much. Canadians have to drive with daytime running lights 24/7 anyways, even in broad daylight.

It doesn't bother me that they are coming on when driving outside, it is just not necessary for them to come on when parking in the garage as they are turned off again within seconds when putting the car in park. That short cycling can't be good for them either and most likely shortens their life for no reason at all.

It's not the coming on part that bugs me. It's the turning on and off constantly with no memory of what it did 2 minutes ago.

It's the fact that I can't simply go and turn them on, and now get beeped at when I leave the car. The beep is actually a bug since the lights do turn off when you turn off the car, and exit.

It shouldn't bother me, but I find the headlights coming on after a single manual sweep really annoying. I'm now in the habit of manually turning off the headlights before sweeping the wipers. Just one more unnecessary distraction while driving (the others involve dealing with the half-baked audio system, the map that obscures icons, etc.).