Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single wipe switches on the headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the latest software (17.11.10), whenever I press the button for a single wipe of the windshield wiper, the headlights go on, even in bright daylight. I e-mailed to [email protected] and they say it's a wanted feature, but for me this is a bug. Why would I want to switch on the headlights if I just want to remove some dirt or dead insect from the windshield? I'm sure it's not good for the xenon lights and probably confusing for the other drivers.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this also the case for American cars or is it only a European thing?

Reactions: youlikeadajuice
I do wish Tesla would stop screwing around with the headlights … last firmware version, I couldn’t turn the lights off in park. I had to put the car in drive, switch the lights off and then go back to park. If the lights were already off in park (due to opening the door) then switching them from auto to off turned them on.

I’m all in favour of lights being on when wipers are engaged, but not turning on the lights for a single wipe. They come on for about 2 minutes, which can mean switching the lights on and off 10-20 times some days.

Can’t be good for the bulb life and wouldn’t be such an issue if the rain sensors actually worked as you could just leave the wipers in auto-sense.

We are talking about headlights turning on without any rain. You might want to remove some dust or wash the glass on a sunny day. No need for headlights then. Headlights on when raining is both a legal requirment in Europe in addition to being an important safety precaution.

I noticed this today, washed the windshield and the headlights came on for awhile, after a few minutes they shut off. to me while the car should not do this it really isn't that big of a deal. tesla will probably fix it with the next update providing that enough people make them aware of the glitch.

This kind of thing reveals the California bias that's in this car.

Apparently a single wipe means it's raining.

I find the entire auto headlight implementation bizarre. I do want the headlights to turn on when it's raining, but it has to be actually RAINING. I also don't want them to turn on and off 30 times during a 20 minute drive. This is what drives me bonkers.

If you're going to turn them on then leave them on for a while.

This is a bigger problem in the Seattle area where it to be grey. This greyness seems to cause the auto headlight system all sorts of confusion.

I think we can call this a BUG when it's a sunny day, no cloud, and the headlights turn on when I need to use washer fluid and wipe windshield!! Why would I want my headlights on? Maybe they should always be on! 100% of the time. No need for DRL then!

If the headlights need to be ON when it's raining, it should NOT be tied to the wipers being on (or auto)... Can the rain sensor be active without having the wipers on (or auto)???

Tons of manufactures are adding this onto their cars now. It's supposed to be a safety feature. But can get pretty annoying we have a 2016 Chevy Tahoe LT as rental. And on our 800 Mile road trip and I used the washer fluid to clean all the dead bugs and bird poop off the windshield and the headlights turned on after they wiped about 3 times. And they turned off about 5 seconds after the wipers turned off. Now we have a "Low Washer Fluid" warning message on the dash:). One other thing is the wiper stalk if pretty confusing.... And after about 1 hour of driving in the rain I had finally figured out how to use the auto wipers. The Auto wipers also work way better than the ones on my P85D and better than my wife's 85D. The least I can say is this is an ICE vehicle that I actually like.....Pretty optioned out too. These 22'inch wheels also look really good!! Ok that's it I'm done praising and ICE car :D Lets get back on topic:p

1. Personally, I don't want tesla engineers wasting their time on this. Reversing the function is just throwing good money after bad money.

2. It's illegal in many states to operate wipers without headlights. Calling it a California thing shows unnecessary bias and a substandard grasp of the situation.

3. Short of real time connectivity to the weather, how does a vehicle know actually know the weather situation? That's the only way a car could remain legal while satisfying the grievance in this thread.

4. As has been proven time and again, you can't please all the people all the time.

1. Personally, I don't want tesla engineers wasting their time on this. Reversing the function is just throwing good money after bad money.

2. It's illegal in many states to operate wipers without headlights. Calling it a California thing shows unnecessary bias and a substandard grasp of the situation.

3. Short of real time connectivity to the weather, how does a vehicle know actually know the weather situation? That's the only way a car could remain legal while satisfying the grievance in this thread.

4. As has been proven time and again, you can't please all the people all the time.
I'm still unclear how a single wipe or two is legally 'operating' the wipers. Yes, if the wipers are actually turned to 'on', then perhaps you want the headlights on. Good grief. I'm not even sure intermittent (drizzle?) qualifies as 'raining' and 'wipers operating'. In most states with those requirements, DRL satisfy the requirement.

Not sure what problem this was supposed to solve that it didn't actually do, correctly.