Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Single Women Tesla Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
single woman owner

Well, I'm married altho I might as well be single re car stuff. My husband does not care at all about cars, he's 68 and is on his second car (' 92 MBZ) before that a paleolithic Volvo. I, on the other hand, have had more cars than I can count, 356 bath tub '63 Porsche, turbos, carreras, pick up trucks, prius amongst the few I can still remember. I was super excited to go EV with a sporty air too. So, I ordered the S after a wonderful test drive in santa Barbara early this spring. My pearl white baby arrived a month ago (85kw, tan leathr,pano, tech, 19" upgrades, winter pkg, park assist, parcel shelf). I love love love it. My husband hasn't even asked to drive it (haha and he won't) BUT he's happy to ride shotgun while I drive it. This has been my best toy ever. So, married or not, we all need to have fun and be self actualized! Have fun with your car!!!

:love:

Just wondering as to appropriateness for a car forum. I can't seem to find a thread where guys are introducing themselves by marital status.
hmmm ... there's gotta be a joke somewhere in this train of thought about single women, and guys wanting to "plug in", but I'm not touching that one without clearing it first with the woman in Human Resources who handles the sexual harassment claims ...

Last edited:
I think I qualify... I'm not married, i'm a woman, and my Model S purchase was my deal. I do have a boyfriend, for the last 24 years. We own our home together, but all other finances are separate. He has never dared to say a word about any of my car indulgences, and he's only driven my Tesla twice. He certainly seems fine being a passenger!

I guess I don't technically qualify since I am married and put my husband's name on the registration along with mine. He wasn't at the delivery and I had to forge his signature. I have driven at least 14,000 of the 14,270 miles on the car. Here is my "girly" Model S.

lashes on tessa.JPG

Em,
check out the TM forum thread.

http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/any-women-tesla-owners-out-there

I don't think marital status really matters for the sake of this discussion. Either it's your car or it's your spouse's car or it's the shared family car.

I think the real issue that people are purporting to get at is 'who made the decision to buy a Tesla?' (whether it be a Roadster, S, or X).

I think the real issue that people are purporting to get at is 'who made the decision to buy a Tesla?' (whether it be a Roadster, S, or X).

This might be the time for a poll (if not yet done) on who made the decision to buy: completely unilateral-male, completely unilateral-female, unilateral with support, and joint. Anybody care to start? Or modify the categories?

Yes.

What makes a car “manly”?

And what makes a car “girly”?
I don't think there's a universal set of attributes but it seems that high-powered and/or fairly expensive sports cars tend to be popular w/men.

Some "cute" cars tend to popular w/women or viewed as "girly" cars (e.g. Miata). Seems like the VW Bug and its convertible along w/the former VW Cabrio were popular amongst women. A male former coworker bought a Cabrio and another co-worker referred to it being a "total sorority girl car", to which the buyer acknowledged and knew going into it. The Cabrio driver also loved and had a Ford Econoline van...

Guy Cars vs. Gal's Cars - MSN Autos has a very old list. I'm trying to find a more recent one. Nissan Altimas tend to be popular amongst women. Even before my mom had one, I knew a ton of female Altima drivers.

My dad had a Rav4 for over 12 years ago. Ages ago, I forwarded him a list about the Rav4 being popular amongst women. Neither he nor I were aware of that before that list...

Interesting. I've just never heard people talk that way. But I've almost always had performance cars. (Though an argument could be made that 'fairly expensive' cars are out of the reach of many women due to other factors - after I left my husband, I was a single parent putting myself through engineering school. He kept my Porsche. I was happy to keep the Peugeot diesel running. Buying an expensive car just wasn't on the list of priorities for many years.)

I don't think there's a universal set of attributes but it seems that high-powered and/or fairly expensive sports cars tend to be popular w/men.

The Mazda Miata (aka MX5) has a reputation as a "girly car", perhaps because it's sporty but not terribly powerful. Ironically it's an excellent autocross car, and actually quite good on the race track especially with a few mods. It's perfect for the beginner in motorsports who has a limited budget - and that means a lot of guys in the local motorsports club have them. In other words, labeling cars as "girly" or "manly" is often wrong and misleading.

I don't think marital status really matters for the sake of this discussion. Either it's your car or it's your spouse's car or it's the shared family car.

Multiple choice:
a) I made the decision
b) I made the decision, and my wife gave me her blessing
c) I made the decision, but my wife gave me permission
d) I made the decision, after wearing my wife down with so much Tesla talk she finally gave me permission
e) all of the above

IMHO I don't believe a family expense of the Model S's value should be decided by only one of the partners, unless there's some kind of shared home expenses plus separate bank account thing or money is absolutely no object.

And welcome all to the Tesla family!!

The Mazda Miata (aka MX5) has a reputation as a "girly car", perhaps because it's sporty but not terribly powerful. Ironically it's an excellent autocross car, and actually quite good on the race track especially with a few mods. It's perfect for the beginner in motorsports who has a limited budget - and that means a lot of guys in the local motorsports club have them. In other words, labeling cars as "girly" or "manly" is often wrong and misleading.

Thanks for the much needed point of clarification, Doug. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic of my "M3" (aka "Manly Mazda Miata")

I brought it to a driving event at Buttonwillow Raceway, along with about 40 other Miata owners.

It was truly a blast, and I've tried to find similar events for the Model S.

miataopen3.jpg

Be careful, he BITES!

Multiple choice:
a) I made the decision
b) I made the decision, and my wife gave me her blessing
c) I made the decision, but my wife gave me permission
d) I made the decision, after wearing my wife down with so much Tesla talk she finally gave me permission
e) all of the above

f) My wife and I made the decision together, without seeing a need to involve any men in the process.

Just because economic factors tend to favor men when it comes to expensive automobiles, don't think it's safe to assume anything about who finds Tesla irresistible. I suspect Leilani didn't wait for her husband to make a decision in the matter, either.