Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sion Power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good finds - thanks. I first read about these guys a couple of years back and was worried that the website had stagnated.

Let's hope they can mass produce it soon. 350Wh/kg is roughly double current Li ion capability which means the Roadster could get me from home to Le Mans in one go (my longest journey in a typical year :smile: ).

There is also Oxis Energy (link 2, link 3) in the UK working on a similar battery. I know they have been looking for investment (hint, Mr Musk).

Last edited:
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Solar plane makes record flight

To get through the night, the propellers are powered from lithium-sulphur batteries which are topped up during the day.

"A lot of effort has gone into power storage and light-weighting the systems," explained Mr Kelleher. "Lithium sulphur is more than double the energy density of the best alternative technology which is lithium polymer batteries.

"They are an exceptional performer. We've worked with the Sion Corporation. They've had them in development for years. We're actually the first application in the world for them."

This would see the biggest plane in history take to the sky, powered by the sun and capable of carrying a 450-kilo (1,000lb) payload.

US commanders say the design must be able to maintain its position over a particular spot on the Earth's surface uninterrupted for five years.

It will be interesting to see if they choose Li-S for this larger plane and if it can give good performance after 1800 cycles.

Last edited:
BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Solar plane makes record flight

It will be interesting to see if they choose Li-S for this larger plane and if it can give good performance after 1800 cycles.

According to a presentation by Linda Nazar (University of Waterloo) at the recently concluded IBM Almaden Conference Sion is nowhere near that mark.
Sion Power: guarantees 350 Wh/kg for 50 cycles for Li‐S cell

I guess that explains the absence of a commercial offering. Hopefully their new partnership with BASF will be more fruitful.

Green Car Congress: Sion Power Receives $800K DOE Grant to Enhance Lithium Sulfur Batteries

Interestingly, LiS chemisty offers both high energy and high power density.

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef012875890cb7970c-800wi.png

Biggest problem, again, is cycle life.

6a00d8341c4fbe53ef012875890f1b970c-800wi.png

With this in mind, I wonder if they should rather focus on cheap high-capacity high-power standardized primary batteries that could be effectively used for "range-extension" or as emergency source of power.