TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sion Power

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by dpeilow, Jul 14, 2008.

Tags:
  1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Anyone know what is going on with these guys?

Sion Power

Their website hasn't been updated since 2006.

Is the technology being taken forward?

Dave

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#3 dpeilow, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    Good finds - thanks. I first read about these guys a couple of years back and was worried that the website had stagnated.

Let's hope they can mass produce it soon. 350Wh/kg is roughly double current Li ion capability which means the Roadster could get me from home to Le Mans in one go (my longest journey in a typical year :smile: ).

There is also Oxis Energy (link 2, link 3) in the UK working on a similar battery. I know they have been looking for investment (hint, Mr Musk).

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

bump - for some reason the above never registered in the database.

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#5 dpeilow, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
    BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Solar plane makes record flight

It will be interesting to see if they choose Li-S for this larger plane and if it can give good performance after 1800 cycles.

5. graham

graham Active Member

They have been promising for years these unmanned solar planes as a regional wireless data hub which should have much less latency than bouncing off a satellite and much cheaper to run. I would love this to become a reality.

6. Serge

Serge Member

According to a presentation by Linda Nazar (University of Waterloo) at the recently concluded IBM Almaden Conference Sion is nowhere near that mark.
    I guess that explains the absence of a commercial offering. Hopefully their new partnership with BASF will be more fruitful.

7. Serge

Serge Member

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator