Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Sioux City, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This distance with 2 adults and a dog can be iffy in winter temps, and could get real dicey with VERY low temp and/or a headwind. Best to carefully watch your Projected Range (open the Energy graph and select Consumption and 30 mi. Average Range settings). Keep comparing this Range to the Miles to Destination shown by the Nav system. I call this my 'cushion' and I'm good when it's at least 20, or 10 once I get close. Faster driving shrinks it, slower makes it grow. You'll know as you near Sioux City if you need to stop for a few miles of charging. (I've limped the last 60 miles into Lincoln at 35 mph on the shoulder of US 77 when a 100 degree F. headwind shot my Wh/mi avg. from 380 to nearly 600!) A chademo in Sioux City is very welcomed! Welcome to the Tesla crowd. You'll love it without a doubt!
I've found that the percent remaining on arrival at the bottom of the turning popup is just as effective as the trip graph and doesn't take up screen space the way the trip graph does. It also warns you if you need to slow down to make your destination. Because it's dynamic, it recalculates continually. A good plan is that if there is bad weather, start slow and speed up once you have built up a reserve. Example: charge to 20% remaining, drive slower until the reserve reaches, say, 25% or 30%, then speed up so that you reach the destination with the original 20%. This method allows for errors (like taking a wrong turn).

Can anyone confirm whether the Chademo at HyVee is turned on or not? I'm going NE to MN soon and it'd be nice to have available. Neither ChargePoint nor Plugshare seem to say, that I could find anyway. (they do show a Chademo 'coming soon' to a Kum & Go.)

I've found that the percent remaining on arrival at the bottom of the turning popup is just as effective as the trip graph and doesn't take up screen space the way the trip graph does. It also warns you if you need to slow down to make your destination. Because it's dynamic, it recalculates continually. A good plan is that if there is bad weather, start slow and speed up once you have built up a reserve. Example: charge to 20% remaining, drive slower until the reserve reaches, say, 25% or 30%, then speed up so that you reach the destination with the original 20%. This method allows for errors (like taking a wrong turn).[/QUOT

The Projected Range is also dynamic and continuously recalculated.

The Tesla list still shows coming in 2020...but I’m starting to doubt that.
I’m new to Tesla’s, have a Model Y LR. Looks like 185 miles from where I live in Omaha to the Sioux Falls supercharger - should I be concerned about making that, in the winter with 2 adults and a dog?

You should be fine as long as it is not snowing and rainy. If you are part of the Tesla Owners Club Nebraska there is a free CHAdeMO adapter that you can borrow for trips.

Does that need an app to activate? Or does just a credit card work?
You need the greenlots app in most cases, sometimes if they are in testing phase you can just activate it but
I wouldn't bank on that.

Actually i looked at greenlots, its' in payment testing phase and it costs .25 cents per hour so you do need the app. I doubt the card readers at the charger are working yet. I also would never count on them, problematic.

• Informative
Reactions: HyperionMark
So please report on what you find this weekend. Thnx.
I can now confirm that there is a working DC charger at Kum & Go in Sioux City. As advertised, it has 2 CCS and 2 CHAdeMO chargers. Since Teslas only work with CHAdeMO chargers right now (with the $450 adapter), that’s what I had to use. I charged from 54% to 90%. Got a max of 45 kW (CHAdeMO is limited to 50kW). On a Model 3 LR, that came out to 191 mi/hr. It costs $0.25/hr. It’s no supercharger, but it’s still way faster than an AC charger. If you’re lucky enough to be able to use CCS, you’ll be able to charge at 150 kW.
I used the Greenlots app to start the charge. I preloaded $10.00 on my account when I downloaded the app, which will last me a long time if they keep the price at $0.25/hr.
I added a few photos. I also updated PlugShare with the photos.

Attachments

• F4063E69-5196-4B4B-9FBF-05CC87AF71BE.jpeg
    F4063E69-5196-4B4B-9FBF-05CC87AF71BE.jpeg
    394.4 KB · Views: 93
  • D5109307-3262-431D-AC1E-E95994D9B520.jpeg
    D5109307-3262-431D-AC1E-E95994D9B520.jpeg
    398.4 KB · Views: 66
  • EED62944-4ED5-49F8-9F58-5FD947A3CA86.jpeg
    EED62944-4ED5-49F8-9F58-5FD947A3CA86.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 58
I can now confirm that there is a working DC charger at Kum & Go in Sioux City. As advertised, it has 2 CCS and 2 CHAdeMO chargers. Since Teslas only work with CHAdeMO chargers right now (with the $450 adapter), that’s what I had to use. I charged from 54% to 90%. Got a max of 45 kW (CHAdeMO is limited to 50kW). On a Model 3 LR, that came out to 191 mi/hr. It costs $0.25/hr. It’s no supercharger, but it’s still way faster than an AC charger. If you’re lucky enough to be able to use CCS, you’ll be able to charge at 150 kW.
I used the Greenlots app to start the charge. I preloaded $10.00 on my account when I downloaded the app, which will last me a long time if they keep the price at $0.25/hr.
Awesome! Just ordered the adapter as well. I thought someone said the .25 and hour was an introductory rate.

Well, dang! Good to know, thanks for the info. I hadn’t bought a Chademo but I guess if this is the best option for Sioux City right now, might as well

It has a card reader. But I don’t know if that’s for some sort of Greenlots card or if you can use a credit card. I used the Greenlots app, which was easy enough. I just opened the app and typed in the station ID. Then it started charging.
The only trouble I ran into was getting the CHAdeMO plug to fit into the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. It REALLY did not want to connect. I’m not sure if the issue is just that both adapters were new, if the Tesla adapter is made a bit tighter than it should be, or if I did something wrong. I got it connected eventually, but it was very difficult.
As for the PlugShare app, it’s on there, I promise! It’s probably an issue of your filter settings. Make sure CHAdeMO isn’t filtered out in your settings. There are probably a few other settings that could prevent you from seeing it as well.

It has a card reader. But I don’t know if that’s for some sort of Greenlots card or if you can use a credit card. I used the Greenlots app, which was easy enough. I just opened the app and typed in the station ID. Then it started charging.
The only trouble I ran into was getting the CHAdeMO plug to fit into the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter. It REALLY did not want to connect. I’m not sure if the issue is just that both adapters were new, if the Tesla adapter is made a bit tighter than it should be, or if I did something wrong. I got it connected eventually, but it was very difficult.
As for the PlugShare app, it’s on there, I promise! It’s probably an issue of your filter settings. Make sure CHAdeMO isn’t filtered out in your settings. There are probably a few other settings that could prevent you from seeing it as well.

aha, sure enough you were right, the app wasn’t set to show CHAdeMO. I changed that and now I see it!

Does anybody know if the new Charge Point DC charger is up and running at the South Sioux City Hy-Vee? Charge Point just started showing it the other day, but it says “No Status.” The weird thing is, it also says that the charger has been used multiple times since 10-29-2020.
I’d love for this one to be up and running. I’ll be going to Sioux City again soon, and having a second DC charger in the area so that I have a backup would be comforting!