TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Siri from the steering wheel???

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Silenus136, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Silenus136

Silenus136 Member

Per the Apple conference today, a much improved Siri is coming to cars very soon, accessible from the steering wheel. I would sure love this feature in the Tesla, but I note they were not mentioned today: "Apple's working with car manufactures to let you use Siri from the steering wheel. Does not light up the screen, just uses spoken alerts. That includes Toyota, GM, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Audi, etc. All say they'll integrate Siri in the next 12 months ." Lord, I hope that Tesla is an "etc," that would be a tremendously convenient/fun feature!

2. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Yes, Tesla, if you're listening could you please put this on your "To-Do" list? I mean, get the car out first, but this would be really cool.

3. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I had that impression that Tesla was working with Google for those kind of features.

(I have a hard time seeing Siri and not thinking Siry.)

4. Silenus136

Silenus136 Member

They also just announced a new maps app, with unbelievably gorgeous, fast 3D fly-over rendering that works with Siri and gives superb turn-by-turn navigation... Tesla, please be listening! That 17" screen was made for this type of functionality.

5. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

This would likely all only run on the iOS though which Tesla doesn't use. It is cool stuff though, I agree.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Right. Apple and Google apparently weren't getting along so Apple went and made their own thing.

7. Silenus136

Silenus136 Member

So no way for Tesla to make it possible to plug my iphone into an adapter, run siri and the maps app on the ios on my phone, and have some portion of the touchscreen in the car simply acting as a "second screen" to my iphone? Forgive me if this is a naive question, I am in no way a tech expert, obviously.

8. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Google did announce 3D maps last week.

dsm363 is right. Apple's stuff only runs on iOS. Our chances are much better with Google's services (which are just as good if not better). And Elon's got a good relationship with Larry and Sergey.

9. NielsChr

NielsChr Member

Model S have already its own OS with lots of GREAT features - voice control, map and other stuff, no need to integrate these with other products.

I believe Tesla should stay on track and develop/mature their own apps so they perform even better :) - no reason to spend value development time.
    if Tesla decide to integrate other products, what should they do in the future ? - what if the other application change in e.g. 5 years....what if the integration require suport time due to instability/bad reputation

No better focus on the Model S own OS and own APPS

10. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

I think Tesla needs to focus on building great cars, not become a software company. They can't home-grow something to compete with Google Maps and at the same time home-grow a car company to compete with GM and Honda.

When software is available that meets the need, they should use it, not reinvent the wheel. That way their available resources can be used for designing and building things that don't exist.

11. Silenus136

Silenus136 Member

Apple is a $530B company, with unbelievably vast resources and the ability to create extraordinary apps, which I suspect are way beyond what a start-up like Tesla can develop internally. I am a huge Tesla fan and this is no knock on Tesla. I just think that Apple is way, way more focused on mobile app utility than Google, since Google make the vast majority of its revenue from search, while Apple has many more resources dedicated to software development. Both make terrific products (I use Google Maps everyday, but suspect this new maps app will persuade me to switch), but for what it is worth, I think tapping into the development resources of an Apple would be a benefit, not a distraction to Tesla.

12. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well lets be fair here:

Google makes all of its money from ADS! Google uses software to help display its ads.
    Apple makes its money from SONGS and HARDWARE! Apple uses software to help sell songs, and hardware.

Neither company is in the software business. That is Microsoft!

13. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter. Both have a huge software team (just on mobile alone they have Android and iOS; there's also OSX and ChromeOS). Actually since Apple sells OSX that would make them in the software business.

14. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Google makes a huge amount of it's revenue from people using Google services on their phones and tablets, not just on their desktops. Google is every bit as focused on building the best mobile apps in the world as Apple is. As a software engineer, that has owned both iPhones and Android phones, I can tell you that I am far more impressed by Google's software.

But the question of who's software is better is unimportant. Apple doesn't share their software, Google does. So Tesla doesn't really have a choice.

15. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Nicely put! I've been trying to convince people of that distinction for eons! Granted, they have world class software developers, their bread is not buttered by the profits of that hard work.

16. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Bingo. I think the Siri integration will likely be only be there if you connect an Apple device (not built into the car). Apple doesn't want others to customize their software, so it's unlikely we'll see something similar to the Sync system (by Microsoft).

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I fight this all the time too! Glad someone else sees it this way.

18. richkae

richkae VIN587

Software is necessary to run a modern car. I would rather see Tesla err on the side of developing too much in house than too little.
    Fisker developed too little of their software in house and look what it did for them.

19. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

I'm not sure about that. Siri is cloud based, so there is only a need to connect to the apple cloud. Not much software customization needed. What is needed, however, is a way for these vehicles to access the cloud...

20. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

The Siri car feature is (my guess) intended to be usable by cars that dont have anything to do with iOS. It is intended to be a way for the car to communicate to Siri on iOS devices to access the capabilities of the device. So, iOS doesn't need to be part of the car's OS to do this. In a way, it would be like a dedicated bluetooth button that just communicates with your iPhone and initiates its listening for a command through the existing audio bluetooth integration (mic) and plays back the results through the existing audio bluetooth integration (speakers). But I'm sure its meant to be a "more elegant" solution based on those principles.

There may be an added feature/API for integration of the graphical results to the screen of a car, but that would be over and above the basic function described above. After all, the new feature is called "Eyes Free" by Apple.