TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Siri in Tesla? Honda already has it.

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by evmile, Dec 4, 2013.

1. evmile

evmile Member

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

It would be quite easy to add to the scroll wheel.

3. dsmith2189

dsmith2189 Active Member

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

This is even cooler: iOS in the car. This could totally revolutionize how smartphones and cars interact. It lets the smartphone do the heavy lifting with apps and updates and the in-car screen is basically a mirror.

Honda integrates iPhone w/ 2014 Civic touchscreen in first steps towards iOS in the Car | 9to5Mac

I wonder if this is something that could be added as a software update? Obviously, the cost of licensing the technology might make Tesla not interested, but that giant touch screen and built in browser have SO much more potential. Sure hoping Tesla has an intern or something working hard on some new UI and infotainment enhancements.

(I'm guessing these sorts of improvements are on the back burner while they continue to dedicate engineering time and talent to the basics of battery management and range improvements).

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My expectation would be that these kinds of things will happen after the SDK comes out. Maybe in another year to year and a half.

6. liuping

liuping Active Member

I'm willing to bet at least 50% Model S owners are iPhone owners, so I'm not sure "Low Priority" would be the correct categorization.

Plus, I believe there is something similar to activate Android's voice recognition input, so implementing those two covers 95% of the smart phone users.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It could also make customers like me sell their cars (or not buy them in the first place).

I don't want an Apple car.

8. highfalutintodd

This would make you sell your Model S? That seems like quite an overreaction.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Perhaps an overreaction, perhaps not. I want a Tesla car. The day they start changing it to an Apple car, or a Google car, or a GM car is the day the whole thing goes downhill. (Stock included.)

I have no faith almost any other company to do what Tesla has done and is doing with this car.

And to answer your next question:
    I'd probably replace it with a Roadster.

10. liuping

liuping Active Member

That's a little like saying you will sell your car if they add suppose for pandora in addition to Slacker for music.

You don't have to use iOS integration, just because it's there.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Perhaps I misunderstood the proposal.

I thought the proposal was to have the car run on iOS not integrate with it.

12. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF –> '13 RAV4 EV

What's this all about?? They already use lots of components made by other companies (Panasonic and Mercedes being the most visible) and will no doubt integrate future components from other companies. It'll still have a Tesla badge on the outside – even if they should (gasp!) add further interactivity or deeper integration with technology from other companies. (Like smartphones.)

So yeah, I don't understand the sentiment. But hey, what do I know? My Tesla looks like a Toyota... oh wait, it is a Toyota! :cool:

Awww... don't have an iPhone? That can be fixed... :biggrin: (Just teasing! But hey, they are popular devices!)

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Read the post immediately preceding yours. There's a huge difference between integration and base platform.

14. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF –> '13 RAV4 EV

#14 Incredulocious, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    Indeed. And I still don't understand your concern, but that's okay.

(I mean it's not like the entire software stack is theirs already. And their engineers/designers are able to make both good and not-so-good choices, just as they do at other companies. And other groups of people do come up with awesome tech/designs too!)

15. liuping

liuping Active Member

I don't think running IOS is necessary or a good idea.

I like the dash, and don't want a bunch of app and stuff running on it. But it really needs to fill in the missing features. A navigation system (at bare minimum add favorites/home), better media player (rearrange favorites, support play lists, shuffle, correct album art, iOS/Andriod integration) and a better browser (at a bare minimum add location support) would be great.

- - - Updated - - -

"iOS in the car." does not mean the car is controlled by or running iOS. Just the the car can control an IOS device via there touch screen and data from the phone can be displayed on the car's touch screen. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_in_the_Car)

In the Model S, one of the two windows could control the iOS Device and play music, read texts/email to you, look up a date in your calendar, display navigation data, etc.

16. strider

strider Active Member

Oh yes, that would be a great idea. Next thing you know Tesla will change the power plug for no reason other than to make everyone buy new HPC's and UMC's. And then when an aftermarket springs up providing them for a fraction of the price they will push a software update to the car which will cause the aftermarket chargers to stop working. Oh yes, please, can I live in that world?

17. Argelius

Argelius Member

Lots of (unnecessary) paranoia here about the idea of handing over parts of in-car infotainment to smartphones.

Whether you are talking about iOS or Android (we'll ignore Blackberry and Windows...), they do apps far better than any car manufacturer ever will, since that's their platform's primary focus. For any car manufacturer (including Tesla) enhancing the LCD screen infotainment experience will likely always be a low priority. Disagree? Check out BMW or Lexus' "apps" they are so proud of. They are horrible and feel like they were designed in 1995.

The advantage of opening up the display in cars (Tesla or otherwise) is allowing for integration with apps that you are already familiar with. If I want to see my calendar on my car's screen, why should it look completely different from the one I see on my phone? And smart phones have a huge established app ecosystem (obviously which would need to be modified for in-car use/safety).

My (admittedly rambling point) is that opening up car infotainment to Android or iOS integration (which would always be optional to actually use) would be a leap forward. Tesla's got the vision and hardware to be a leader in this. Hopefully the rumored SDK will do something along these lines.

Let's not be shown up by a Honda Civic!

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It can mean either. The language isn't crisp. Familiar with the "Intel Inside" logo on a large number of computers on the planet?

19. liuping

liuping Active Member

"iOS in the Car" is a feature of iOS7 for controlling the phone/tablet from the cars touch screen. Apple does not license iOS to anyone. It is only for Apple Products, so it will never be part of the car, unless Apple make a car :)

From Apple's iOS7 feature page:

20. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Ah, so it's another branding game with terminology. I hadn't been following it. Thanks for the info!