Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just went to my Model S and found I did not have channels 100&101. Then I checked my account and found that I have subscribed to “XM All Access” which is suppose to include all channels (and online access), including Howard Stern. Howard Stern is available while listening online, however, so I’m sure I’m suppose to get it. Now I feel cheated….

I just went to my Model S and found I did not have channels 100&101. Then I checked my account and found that I have subscribed to “XM All Access” which is suppose to include all channels (and online access), including Howard Stern. Howard Stern is available while listening online, however, so I’m sure I’m suppose to get it. Now I feel cheated….

Well, if you feel cheated by them, set a reminder in advance of your subscription end date to make sure that you call, turn down all the special offers and cancel.

Well, if you feel cheated by them, set a reminder in advance of your subscription end date to make sure that you call, turn down all the special offers and cancel.
I don't feel cheated by SiriusXM, but by Tesla for not providing a XM radio that can receive all channels (and don't get me started on the crappy XM UI). The subscription I have allows for internet streaming also, and was the main reason I got it.

Signed up for subscription to Sirius and was told that the radio that comes with the Tesla does not receive channels 100 and 101. Is this true?

Not true. I get 100 and 101 in my car. I did not initially when I transferred my Sirius account over as the Radio in the MS is an XM radio and the package was different. I had to change my package to one that included Howard Stern (and some other things) on XM. So I would call back and ask them to make sure your XM package includes those channels. It is not a problem with the radio.

Not true. I get 100 and 101 in my car. I did not initially when I transferred my Sirius account over as the Radio in the MS is an XM radio and the package was different. I had to change my package to one that included Howard Stern (and some other things) on XM. So I would call back and ask them to make sure your XM package includes those channels. It is not a problem with the radio.

Thanks for mentioning that. I did upgrade my subscription package about a year ago, but didn't send a refresh signal to the radio. I assumed it would do that periodically. I guess I was wrong.

I went into my SirusXM account and selected the "Send Refresh Signal" option for the radio and within 5 minutes I had channels 100&101 show up on the Tesla XM radio. Now I don't feel cheated any more. I'm sure I have the rest of the premium channels too, so need to go through them and see which I'll add to favorites.

Don't ever subscribe to Sirius XM!
You can get all of their content (or equivalent) on free streaming or the Slacker radio player... you just have to do a little searching.
The most important reason is that they make it very difficult to unsubscribe (I literally spent hours on the phone three different times repeating "I want to cancel my subscription"). After you cancel, you will be hounded with daily/weekly phone calls and you cannot get off their call list.

You can get all of their content (or equivalent) on free streaming or the Slacker radio player... you just have to do a little searching.
The most important reason is that they make it very difficult to unsubscribe (I literally spent hours on the phone three different times repeating "I want to cancel my subscription"). After you cancel, you will be hounded with daily/weekly phone calls and you cannot get off their call list.
The reason I subscribe to SirusXM is that, where I travel, there is no cell coverage. Even in town (and I have LTE on my Tesla), Slacker is OK, but TuneIn radio is very dependent on the "senders" internet connection and can be spotty.

I've canceled several XM radios in the past and it wasn't very hard. It's unfortunate that they make you call to cancel, but I've never been hounded with phone calls - probably, because I still had at least one radio with them.

How about posting a source list that everyone can put into their favorite channels?

How about posting a source list that everyone can put into their favorite channels?
That might be a good idea for a separate thread.
I'm sure my taste for channels are different than others but if enough people contribute, it could be a valuable thread.
My favorite channel is Jazz24 (Jazz24.org) which has a constant, commercial-free stream of the best jazz ever.
I also have all of the regional NPR stations... which work much better with Internet streaming than OTA.

Given the UI on the Tesla it sure seems like Sirius/XM was an afterthought by Tesla. I continued to use it for six months after I got my Tesla as I had that long left in my subscription from my old car. But I cancelled and I haven't missed it since.

This is a bit off topic, but I don't know how Sirius XM can survive in the future. Assuming that all cars become as connected as a Tesla Model S is today then why would anyone subscribe to SXM other than for some content that they REALLY want, like Stern. Why not subscribe to Spotify, Slacker, etc which is usually cheaper and is available on more platforms - Cars (via CarPlay, etc), phone, tablet, PC, Sonos, etc. The niche for SXM today is the car but that will be going away as all cars become connected.

The reason I subscribe to SirusXM is that, where I travel, there is no cell coverage. Even in town (and I have LTE on my Tesla), Slacker is OK, but TuneIn radio is very dependent on the "senders" internet connection and can be spotty.

I've canceled several XM radios in the past and it wasn't very hard. It's unfortunate that they make you call to cancel, but I've never been hounded with phone calls - probably, because I still had at least one radio with them.

Disagree about it being easy to cancel Sirius/XM. They held me and others I know on the phone for 45 min to an hour demanding to know your reason for cancelling and then making offers to keep me. They would not accept no for an answer. In the end we had to hang up and send a registered letter to them to cancel. I'll NEVER subscribe with them again even though I enjoy Howard Stern.

Last edited:

You won't find a live stream of current financial news. Bloomberg Surveillance is at least a day old, and parsed. It's found on Tune-in, not Slacker, and neither of those two come close to Pandora. Personally, SiriusXM is worth it for the national news, alone. But never pay SiriusXM with a credit card. I've heard over, and over, again how frequently they haven't stopped billing people, despite cancel requests. Ask to be billed, and pay by check. Then, if you forget and your link goes dead, you just have to get back on the phone to setup another year.

You won't find a live stream of current financial news. Bloomberg Surveillance is at least a day old, and parsed. It's found on Tune-in, not Slacker, and neither of those two come close to Pandora. Personally, SiriusXM is worth it for the national news, alone. But never pay SiriusXM with a credit card. I've heard over, and over, again how frequently they haven't stopped billing people, despite cancel requests. Ask to be billed, and pay by check. Then, if you forget and your link goes dead, you just have to get back on the phone to setup another year.
I don't follow financial news (my investment decisions tend to be long term... not subject to the latest news) but it looks like Bloomberg radio is available on iHeart as well as Sirius.
If you must have a particular program that is only available on Sirius, you are probably stuck with them.
Good advice to pay with a check. Before my subscription expired, I was able to get them to remove my credit card information from my account so they couldn't charge it "automatically".