Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM Model Y Inquiry in MY with AMD Ryzen Processor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks to those that referred me to the long thread about the possible OEM "like" installation of Siruis XM using a model X or model S tuner. I read it from beginning to end but did not find a conclusion about new Model Ys with Ryzen processor. The discussion was mostly by those owning a Model 3 Tesla. The consensus was the Intel version of model 3 is doable with a tuner exchange and some antenna upgrades but new Ryzen model 3s were not producing sound. As I look at the images of tuners for Model Y and Model S -- these tuners appear almost identical except model Y lacking only one additional brown antenna jack. -- I assume that is the XM radio antenna jack? Has anyone successfully swapped the Model S plaid tuner into a Ryzen Model Y and achieved a working Sirius XM -- working sound and all?

Thanks to those that referred me to the long thread about the possible OEM "like" installation of Siruis XM using a model X or model S tuner. I read it from beginning to end but did not find a conclusion about new Model Ys with Ryzen processor. The discussion was mostly by those owning a Model 3 Tesla. The consensus was the Intel version of model 3 is doable with a tuner exchange and some antenna upgrades but new Ryzen model 3s were not producing sound. As I look at the images of tuners for Model Y and Model S -- these tuners appear almost identical except model Y lacking only one additional brown antenna jack. -- I assume that is the XM radio antenna jack? Has anyone successfully swapped the Model S plaid tuner into a Ryzen Model Y and achieved a working Sirius XM -- working sound and all?
What I also meant to say is the Model 3 seems to be the most different -- one antenna lead while model y is nearly identical with two antenna leads and missing a third brown antenna lead which is presumably for a satellite radio antenna connection?

Reactions: ArtK

it does not work on a Ryzen car (neither 3 nor Y), as far as I know. there have been people who have tried it for both, and it doesn't work.

I have not purchased or installed this tuner but looking externally the Model Y 2022 tuner looks more like the Model S 2022 tuner than the model 3 --- it has same two antenna sockets and S has an extra socket obviously for the satellite antenna. Model S also has a satellite antenna that can be used to complete the needed components. Examine the attached PDF. Has anyone installed these exact components on Ryzen Model Y Tesla?

Attachments

• Model Y 2021 Tuner Module FM.pdf
    227.6 KB · Views: 134
I have not purchased or installed this tuner but looking externally the Model Y 2022 tuner looks more like the Model S 2022 tuner than the model 3 --- it has same two antenna sockets and S has an extra socket obviously for the satellite antenna. Model S also has a satellite antenna that can be used to complete the needed components. Examine the attached PDF. Has anyone installed these exact components on Ryzen Model Y Tesla?

it does not work on a Ryzen car. we don't know why, but it does not work.

as you mentioned, the tan colored jack is the SXM antenna jack. you are also correct in that the model Y comes with the dual fakra for the radio antenna rather than the single fakra and ribbon combination of the 3.

that being said, I don't see why or how it would work on a Y when we have confirmed it doesn't work on a 3. the FM radio already works on the 3, so it wouldn't make sense that the FM connections being the same (which seems to be the leap you're trying to make) would somehow suddenly make SXM work as well.

of course, you're welcome to try it and report back. the one thing I haven't seen is if anyone has tried it since this year's holiday update. perhaps something has changed there that would finally unlock it for Ryzen cars.

No need to get defensive. geez.. I have XM in my current ice car and Bluetooth and use both, so just asking a question, if there is a difference with Tesla..

he is clearly looking for a way to do this and have it built into the car, not stream it from his phone. condescendingly telling him to just stream it from his phone doesn't help anyone.

every time anyone asks this question, the thread is littered with a bunch of these idiotic "just use your phone" replies which clutter the thread and make it harder for the original poster and anyone interested in a potential solution to actually discuss such a solution.

sorry if this offends you, but after four years of this crap, I'm beyond tired of it.

he is clearly looking for a way to do this and have it built into the car, not stream it from his phone. condescendingly telling him to just stream it from his phone doesn't help anyone.

every time anyone asks this question, the thread is littered with a bunch of these idiotic "just use your phone" replies which clutter the thread and make it harder for the original poster and anyone interested in a potential solution to actually discuss such a solution.

sorry if this offends you, but after four years of this crap, I'm beyond tired of it.
I am not offended. Just a question to understand better, that's all! sorry that you feel that way.

As a disclaimer, I have two other non-Tesla cars equipped with SiriusXM. It's an expensive option when compared with streaming. It's appropriate when one does at least some driving where LTE is weak or not available at all. SXM is not noted for high quality music steams. It has a lot of nice channels, but most can be simulated with either the Tesla built-in streaming, Apple Music, Spotify or Tidal. If someone with Tesla M3 or MY absolutely needs SXM, then they should buy an add-on sat receiver that rebroadcasts on the FM band. Get Best Buy to do the install if you aren't sure how to do it. Cobbing the receiver from a MS might work or it might not. It's a tinkerer's delight.

BTW, SXM streaming works nicely with the Tesla browser, so one doesn't need a phone to listen.

Reactions: r1200gs4ok
Cobbing the receiver from a MS might work or it might not. It's a tinkerer's delight.

saying it "might work or it might not" is nonsense. there is a definitive scenario as to when it works vs when it doesn't.

it absolutely works, if you have an Intel car. if you have a Ryzen car, it does not.

BTW, SXM streaming works nicely with the Tesla browser, so one doesn't need a phone to listen.

like clockwork. every single time.

I am not offended. Just a question to understand better, that's all! sorry that you feel that way.

my apologies for blowing up at you...it is just frustrating. even in that long thread we kept getting derailed with those replies until the mods could move them out of the thread to keep the discussion coherent.

I mean, just look at the reply right below yours. all the damn time, without fail.

no worries. I will be a new EV owner next week and still nervous making the switch from an ICE car and is trying to absorb as much information as possible and understanding others concerns they have so I don't miss anything.. yea, I just read that post and it's a board and people have various opinions and it happens.. no worries! :)
my apologies for blowing up at you...it is just frustrating. even in that long thread we kept getting derailed with those replies until the mods could move them out of the thread to keep the discussion coherent.

I mean, just look at the reply right below yours. all the damn time, without fail.

I think the point is that people with Sirius/XM don't want to stream. They want satellite radio service. I don't have or need unlimited minutes on my phone to I'd prefer to simply have satellite radio like I do on 3 or my other 4 cars.
I actually prefer the XM mobile app to any factory or aftermarket satellite receiver I’ve owned (six). Streaming works great straight from my iPhone. I’m guessing since the Sat signal is already compressed, it can’t be much better than Bluetooth streaming from the phone. Of course if there were CarPlay or Android Auto in a Tesla, streaming would be even easier/safer; but that topic has been discussed on this forum plenty already. If you have limited data to stream on your phone, I can see why you’d rather pick up a signal.

Reactions: RedSupraT
Some additional background information about the development of Tesla Sound systems -- How to Upgrade Your Tesla Model Y Sound System | GetJerry.com