Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM on Refresh S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, four XM Radio stories:
1. I own a 2014 Model S. It had XM. I upgraded to MCU2 last week (real goal was to fix a delaminating driver's display). I lost AM, FM and XM. I expected to lose AM/FM, but not the XM. Tesla Customer Service has no solution, other than an extra $500 module that returns XM to the car. I declined, because....
2. ....I have a Model S LR on order. BUT....the same Customer Service person warned me that the new S does not have XM, either.
3. So, we see stories on the Web this week, and learn that XM is being restored to new S Plaid and S LR models via a software update.
4. When I called XM to drop my account until the new vehicle arrives, they offered some kind of free radio to put on the dash to connect XM to the car via Bluetooth. I declined and canceled that account....until the new S LR shows up. We will drive the X on trips, so not a big issue...and I am learning more about what is available on streaming services.
5. If XM is shifting to a streaming format, there will be many places where a cellular connection is not available here in Western USA>
Put me down as disappointed that Tesla has been so incomplete in their communications on the XM matter.

Took me 30 minutes on the phone with siriusxm to get it to work in my car... they had problems activating. Finally they were able to send a signal and told me to wait 3-5 minutes then power off the car then back on. After that it worked.

Reactions: golferguy
I had the update. I had to call Sirius to set up my account, give them the VIN and Radio ID. I turned the car off and went back an hour later and the subscription was activated,. So with any new Tesla S you get a 3 month trial and it is not automatically set up, so you have to call in

Like others, my XM is now working after problems with finding the radio ID and failure with the refresh signal. Had to spend time on the phone with XM to get it to work. But, compared to my other car with XM, I loose signal in the Tesla, much more often. In certain areas, the other car has momentary signal loss - with the Tesla, signal loss is too frequent.

My plaid had XM from the start. However, took some time with Sirius to get it activated. My issue is that the XM/Sirius Icon appears and disappears at will. Never know when is will in the list. Even when the icon is not there, I can still use it as the stations that I have listened to appear in the “history” list. I.e. it works all the time in reality.