Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SIRIUS XM PROBLEMS (AGAIN), THIS TIME WITH FAVORITES

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'll say it again: everyone needs to report this to tesla as a safety issue (having to look at the screen to change channels rather than keeping your eyes on the road). the only way they're going to fix it is if they hear from enough people that it's an issue.

Reactions: DBV1
I had requested service on this problem (ability to pin favorite channels to recent/favorites bar or to scroll through favorites using steering wheel controls) but they closed it remotely (cancelling my scheduled service). "This is going to be apart [sic] of the update that is unchangeable. There is no concern at this time, no appointment is necessary." Regardless, I have to take my 2020 Model S in for service on an unrelated issue and will try to engage their service personnel on this loss of functionality.

I am beginning to think Tesla is trying to discourage subscribing to Sirius XM entirely. Most auto companies like Sirius because it gives them a way to make more money but maybe Tesla wants to sell you its own similar streaming service.

Reactions: maxibenson
I had requested service on this problem (ability to pin favorite channels to recent/favorites bar or to scroll through favorites using steering wheel controls) but they closed it remotely (cancelling my scheduled service). "This is going to be apart [sic] of the update that is unchangeable. There is no concern at this time, no appointment is necessary." Regardless, I have to take my 2020 Model S in for service on an unrelated issue and will try to engage their service personnel on this loss of functionality.

I am beginning to think Tesla is trying to discourage subscribing to Sirius XM entirely. Most auto companies like Sirius because it gives them a way to make more money but maybe Tesla wants to sell you its own similar streaming service.

I still find it hard to believe this, considering you can still cycle thru favorites added on the current drive.

Just installed 2022.28.1. Sirius doesn't work at all now. No sound... nothing.

did you get this to work with a reboot or anything? I've got a 1000 mile or so road trip coming up next weekend and need to make sure I don't bork my SXM before or during that trip...

I don't have 28.1 yet (just got 24.8 yesterday), but will make sure not to install it if there's a chance it's going to blow up SXM.

Just checked my 2021 MSP, and Sirius is working perfectly. Favorites are fine. On 2022.20.15, and all prior have been fine.
When you say favorites are "fine," maybe you don't notice what Tesla is apparently calling a change of operations. In the past, there was a menu bar for recent/favorites. When you tagged a sirius channel as a favorite, it would remain locked on that bar. You could keep the bar visible but the rest of the audio screen minimized and change station by selecting the icons on the recents/favorites bar. Also, you could use the up or down arrows to move from one favorite to the next.

That's the way it used to work. Apparently there was some sort of update and now this does not work anymore. The recents/favorites bar is still there, but making a sirius channel a favorite does not lock it onto the bar anymore. A recent channel will be there briefly but it is not locked into position. The arrows do not work either since no favorites are locked.

I have reported this but Tesla claim it was a change of function not a bug, although I could not get a straight answer on this point. I have an appointment in a few weeks and will press them about this again.

So when you say your favorites are working "fine," what exactly do you mean?

I have reported this but Tesla claim it was a change of function not a bug, although I could not get a straight answer on this point. I have an appointment in a few weeks and will press them about this again.

i would just keep annoying the hell out of them until they admit that this is an issue. i don't buy the idea that it's a change in functionality, because if you add more than two new favorites on any given drive, it changes back to the way it should work (which is that it will cycle through those new favorites)...although at some point it will still eventually reset and go back to sequential.

i wish those of us who have retrofitted this into our 3 and Y could join you in reporting these issues.

its seems to me everything got intercoursed up with the addition of the newest FSD revision.......I had 3 stations as favorites so all I had to do was selected the button for them.....they would stay in the order selected and worked fine....now I have to keep fumbling around.....had trouble deleted one favorite and it finally worked......still will not hold stations.....what a pain in the butt....really takes the Tesla experience down a notch or two

Somewhat annoying. Tesla tells me the buttons are faulty, and they've scheduled a home visit to replace them. But the buttons work - they just stopped cycling through my XM favorites and just go up/down the dial now.

this is why I said that the response of "we changed it just for XM" is nonsense...they have no clue what they're doing. we need to keep reporting it so they fix it.

if anyone has any ideas on how those of us who retrofitted this into a model 3 or model Y can help report these bugs, I'm all ears.

Even more annoying. Tech only came out to verify it wasn't a hardware problem (which I already knew) and to tell me that since I'm on beta software (FSD), this is to be expected.

To. his credit, I get that none of this is in his control and that he only learns about issues like this same as I do.

But for a $100k car, do better?

Even more annoying. Tech only came out to verify it wasn't a hardware problem (which I already knew) and to tell me that since I'm on beta software (FSD), this is to be expected.

To. his credit, I get that none of this is in his control and that he only learns about issues like this same as I do.

But for a $100k car, do better?

that's a BS answer because it is the same for those of us who don't have FSD.

My car was in for a windshield replacement (crack) and I had them look at the broken favorites feature. I can't even get confirmation whether this is a bug or an intended change of functionality (eliminating the ability to pin Sirius XM channels to the recent favorites/bar). The tech said "they reinstalled the firmware and it is working now," but it is still broken. I have requested escalation.

In addition, I am sending this email to [email protected]. I recommend everyone with this issue send a similar email. Tesla has an arbitration requirement and it is required to pay all arbitration costs (which can be over $3,000). This is one way to get their attention:

Hello,

I am leasing a 2020 Model S long range, VIN XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

There is an unresolved defect in my audio system functioning and I am considering arbitration. A picture is attached.

For the last two years, I had the ability to pin SiriusXM channels as favorites to the recent/favorites bar that is visible when the audio screen is minimized. Once pinned, Sirius channel (like radio channels, streaming channels, etc.) would remain on the bar. There was a small vertical line separating the recent channels and the favorited channels. So a favorited channel would appear as “recent” but it would eventually get pushed off the recent section but remain as a pinned favorite on the bar.

A few months ago, this changed and I reported the problem to Tesla customer service in August and again in September. Now, it is no longer possible to pin favorited Sirius channels to the recent/favorites bar and the vertical line separating recent and favorites is gone. You can still pin radio channels, streaming channels, etc., to the bar but just not Sirius channels. If you listen to a Sirius channel, it might be visible for a while as a “recent,” but it will get pushed off that bar once there are other recent channels selected; it does not remain as a pinned favorite although it should. You can still mark Sirius channels as “favorite” and they will show in the expanded audio screen as favorites, but if you select one channel, you then have to touch the back button to return to the page of favorite channels in order to switch to another channel. This is not very safe to require the driver to do it.

Also the up and down buttons on the left side of the steering wheel cannot move among favorite SiriusXM channels, they just increase or decrease the channel number by one.

My car was last serviced for this issue on October 4, 2022 at the Walnut, California service center. At that time, the technician reinstalled the firmware and claimed it was fixed, but it is not. I have requested further review.

I still cannot get a straight answer whether this change of function was intended or is a bug. If it is intended, then it does not appear to be a documented change as none of the patch notes discuss SiriusXM and the favorites bar. Moreover, if it was intended, then you have seriously crippled the value of SiriusXM subscription, which I have paid for and I believe I should be compensated for. This would be an intentional effort to steer customers away from SiriusXM.

On the other hand, if it is a bug, it has not been fixed in at least 60 days from when reported. I am not the only one to report this. Your technicians seem confused, to say the least, about the proper functioning of the recent/favorites bar.

I look forward to your prompt attention to this matter.

i like that but i would stress the part about it being unsafe, and maybe mention that you're also reporting it to the NHTSA (and do so). it's a huge safety issue to have to keep looking down at the screen to change stations rather than being able to go through your favorites via the wheel.

i'd love to help and report this but since i've only retrofitted into my model 3, i can't be of much help. good idea, though, IMO...anyone who has an S or an X should totally jump on board with this.

Reactions: yodakramer