Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM unpredictably fails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving along yesterday and touching an XM station yielded nothing. Icon did not budge and no sound. Later the same day everything worked fine. Took my car to car wash today. XM working fine on the way. No XM radio after emerging from car wash. FM works fine. Any ideas?

Driving along yesterday and touching an XM station yielded nothing. Icon did not budge and no sound. Later the same day everything worked fine. Took my car to car wash today. XM working fine on the way. No XM radio after emerging from car wash. FM works fine. Any ideas?
This is a known issue with XM on the newer Model Xs. Take a look at this thread where your problem (along with other problems) has been discussed by other people: Sirius XM radio static

I found that powering off the car using the screen will reset the XM radio to start working.

I have the same issue on my Model S. I notice it happens most when I turn on the car and I’m already playing FM or Spotify. Then when I try to switch to Sirius after some time, I can’t. So I have to stop the car. Turn it off. Wait 2 min, then turn it back on. This bug is very annoying.

Since 2013, Tesla has had problems with the media player properly restoring after the vehicle resumes from sleep mode. This has caused problems with USB and radio. For years, it was possible to disable sleep mode (which caused increased "phantom drain" on the batteries while the vehicle was parked).

Now, there isn't any way to disable sleep mode - and because Tesla still hasn't fixed these issues, they continue to cause problems when returning to the vehicle.

We periodically lose our XM radio - and have to reboot the console processor, often while the vehicle is moving.

It's disappointing Tesla hasn't fixed these bugs - that have existed for 7 years...

Since 2013, Tesla has had problems with the media player properly restoring after the vehicle resumes from sleep mode. This has caused problems with USB and radio. For years, it was possible to disable sleep mode (which caused increased "phantom drain" on the batteries while the vehicle was parked).

Now, there isn't any way to disable sleep mode - and because Tesla still hasn't fixed these issues, they continue to cause problems when returning to the vehicle.

We periodically lose our XM radio - and have to reboot the console processor, often while the vehicle is moving.

It's disappointing Tesla hasn't fixed these bugs - that have existed for 7 years...

Thanks for the tip about rebooting while the vehicle is moving. While a little unnerving, that's probably the answer when you will be driving for any length of time.

Curiously, if this is a sleep induced problem, why does it always work for me when the car wakes up the next day?

Thanks for the tip about rebooting while the vehicle is moving. While a little unnerving, that's probably the answer when you will be driving for any length of time.

Although, rebooting (while driving or stationary) has worked in the past for me, currently the only method that has worked for me is to put the car in park and power off using the "Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off" sequence. Here is the excerpt from the Model X manual. They do claim the vehicle will power off after leaving or when parked for 15 minutes. This has been hit or miss for me many times. After ½ hour of exiting the vehicle, sometimes XM radio does not turn on. Doing a manual Power Off sequence works every time.

Powering Off
When you finish driving, shift into Park by pressing the button on the end of the gear selector. The parking brake automatically engages and all systems keep operating. When you leave Model X with the key, it powers off automatically, turning off the instrument panel and touchscreen.
Model X also powers off automatically after being in Park for 15 minutes, even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat.
Although usually not needed, you can power off Model X while sitting in the driver’s seat, provided the vehicle is not moving. Touch Controls > Safety & Security > Power Off. Model X automatically powers back on again if you press the brake pedal or touch the touchscreen.

Reactions: SDRick
The issue with sleep mode is random - sometimes the media player restores correctly - and sometimes it doesn't.

Losing the XM radio is a new problem that hasn't plagued the media player until recent software releases. Most of the time, if there is a failure to recover after sleep, the media player will forget what source it was using and for USB forget what file was being played.

This shouldn't be that difficult of a problem for Tesla to fix, especially since it has been present for 7 years...

I’m in my Sirius trial on my MX LR+ and can only get it to work after I’ve used the “power off” function for the car. Is there a fix for this or even worth reporting to service?
It seems that it has been reported many times, but you might as well add some fuel to the fire. I'm currently on version 2020.16.2.1 and haven't had to power cycle for XM since that update about a week ago.

It seems that it has been reported many times, but you might as well add some fuel to the fire. I'm currently on version 2020.16.2.1 and haven't had to power cycle for XM since that update about a week ago.

I’m on the same version, and still get the failure a couple times a week. With the last failure, corrected itself after a couple of drives.

I have a mobile service visit for this issue next week. In preparation for this, the service center asked for specific times of the failure so they can review logs. I did so, and the service center now claims they have sufficient information to fix the issue. I’ll know more next week.

• Informative
Reactions: davezforce
be nice if they just did sirius over LTE and be done with it.
I think that defeats the purpose of having a "Satellite" system: the ability do receive broadcasts in areas where there is no cell coverage. That is why I use it. But I do agree that Tesla should have SiriusXM available as an app or at least enable audio on web pages, to access the online version.