Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM Upgrades with last software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received 2020.28.6 the other day. The big change was adding Sirius XM station icons and album art. That’s great, and a long awaited update, however the software upgrade removed the ability to direct tune a station. Have any other Sirius XM subscribers noticed this? Hopefully it will be fixed with the next update.

I still have the direct tune feature. It took about a week after the update was downloaded for my SiriusXM radio to show these changes like the cover art for the stations and other features. Perhaps it waited until SiriusXM refreshed the radio? Hopefully this option will appear for you shortly. Try rebooting the system and see if that helps.

Is Direct Tune on the vertical menu along with favorites and categories? What software version do you have? I got another update yesterday, and still no direct tune. Reboot does not help. Still no direct tune since the update.
You are correct! Since the update moved Sirius from the Radio tab into its own tab, Direct Tune is not included anymore. It still remains under the radio section. The fastest way now is to go to all channels, and you can scroll 30 - 40 stations listed by station number at a time to get to your station. I just have all the stations I listen to in Favorites. Sorry for the misinformation. I had initially used that feature, but don't find it really necessary with the current layout. Maybe they will add it back in a future update?

You are correct! Since the update moved Sirius from the Radio tab into its own tab, Direct Tune is not included anymore. It still remains under the radio section. The fastest way now is to go to all channels, and you can scroll 30 - 40 stations listed by station number at a time to get to your station. I just have all the stations I listen to in Favorites. Sorry for the misinformation. I had initially used that feature, but don't find it really necessary with the current layout. Maybe they will add it back in a future update?

Thanks for the confirmation, DerbyDave. What I mostly direct tune for is to listening to sporting events. I look at the guide for an event I want to listen to, and previously would direct tune. I’m guessing that eventually, they’ll bring direct tune back for Sirius XM. But very thankful for the cover art and album art, where applicable.

It took about a week after the update for me to see the changes in my SiriusXM. I think it may have waited for a refresh from Sirius. You can do a SiriusXM radio refresh at: SiriusXM . It wold be interesting if this activates your SiriusXM updates in 2020.32.2, Serpico007

Has anyone noticed that the cover art does not necessarily appear in the songs that are playing? Mostly it’s just a channel cover art for certain stations such as 80s on eight. However, when I change channels you see the cover art flash for a split second before going back to the cover art for the channel rather than the song playing. Anyone else have seen this?

Two things I've noticed, The cover art appears randomly- ie only 1 in maybe 10 songs does it appear, and then it may or may not stay there. Otherwise it's just the Station logo Second, there is now a little signal strength meter in the lower left corner of the station Logo/Cover art Finally, 2 of my Model S's got the update and the other didn't- All three have good wifi connections. I actually subscribe to Sirrus/XM on 2 cars- one got it one didn't.

Reactions: Msolomi
Since the SIriusXM update to our 2017 S MCU1/HW3, the XM app has been excruciatingly S L O W...

After the update first installed, we lost our subscription and only received the preview channel - which is surprising since everyone is getting a free 90 day trial - so we should have at least had the free trial. But since we were already paying for XM, it looks like the upgrade wiped our subscription, didn't provide us the free trial, and we had to force a refresh to get things back.

Lost the favorite channels - and have to set those again. It looks like hitting the favorite star in the XM status window (with the forward/backward channel icons) doesn't work - I had to go down below into the channel list and hit the star there to add the channel into favorites.

Getting XM to start playing after returning to the car seems to be hit-and-miss - sometimes it starts playing fairly soon after starting, other times, it can take several minutes to start up.

There's a long delay when changing channels.

And whether it was this release or another recent release, have noticed that the MCU1 takes F O R E V E R to reboot. Starting a reboot using the steering wheel buttons, once the console display goes to black, it takes a very long time to get the Tesla logo displayed. And then it takes a very long time after the logo is displayed before the reboot is completed and the display and climate control start running again.

Compared to how the system worked a month ago - the latest software releases is a step backward in usability of the XM app, plus something is causing the reboot process to take much, much longer.

This release is yet another example of how Tesla's strategy for testing new software releases fails to identify obvious design flaws and bugs.

Tesla really needs to open their beta testing program, and allow more owners to opt in and help Tesla test new software better before distributing to the rest of the owners.

And when they release a clunker release like this, it would be very helpful if owners could "rollback" to the previous (stable) release...

Since the SIriusXM update to our 2017 S MCU1/HW3, the XM app has been excruciatingly S L O W...

After the update first installed, we lost our subscription and only received the preview channel - which is surprising since everyone is getting a free 90 day trial - so we should have at least had the free trial. But since we were already paying for XM, it looks like the upgrade wiped our subscription, didn't provide us the free trial, and we had to force a refresh to get things back.

Lost the favorite channels - and have to set those again. It looks like hitting the favorite star in the XM status window (with the forward/backward channel icons) doesn't work - I had to go down below into the channel list and hit the star there to add the channel into favorites.

Getting XM to start playing after returning to the car seems to be hit-and-miss - sometimes it starts playing fairly soon after starting, other times, it can take several minutes to start up.

There's a long delay when changing channels.

And whether it was this release or another recent release, have noticed that the MCU1 takes F O R E V E R to reboot. Starting a reboot using the steering wheel buttons, once the console display goes to black, it takes a very long time to get the Tesla logo displayed. And then it takes a very long time after the logo is displayed before the reboot is completed and the display and climate control start running again.

Compared to how the system worked a month ago - the latest software releases is a step backward in usability of the XM app, plus something is causing the reboot process to take much, much longer.

This release is yet another example of how Tesla's strategy for testing new software releases fails to identify obvious design flaws and bugs.

Tesla really needs to open their beta testing program, and allow more owners to opt in and help Tesla test new software better before distributing to the rest of the owners.

And when they release a clunker release like this, it would be very helpful if owners could "rollback" to the previous (stable) release...

Bob_p, sorry you are having so many issues. Besides taking days to see the upgrades after I upgraded, mine is working fine in my 2020 Model S. I believe the refresh of the XM radio is what activates the new features. Any old features you may have had may not be valid under the new upgrade (favorites, position in lineup, etc.) I couldn't tell by your post if you have rebooted, but if not, try resetting your car by holding down the two steering wheel buttons now that your radio has refreshed and see if things don't get better. It may all just need to get synced up again after the update. Perhaps there are some issues with the MCU1 and the upgrade?

If you have the right options on your car, and the latest software upgrades, it should appear as an icon across the bottom when you press the music symbol tab. (Radio, Phone, Streaming, Caraoke, SiriusXM, TuneIn, Spotify, USB are the other choices along the bottom). The Model S/X used to require buying the $5,000 Premium upgrades to get XM but now included in all new S/X vehicles.