Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a long time Sirius/XM user and was disappointed that the 3 did not include this.

Two months later and I am very happy with the Slacker radio. I have my favorites set up and my song lists within the favorites. I am listening to the same music as S/XM.

I have drive from one end of NC to the other and have yet to lose cellular coverage, even in areas that were notorious for dead spots in the past.

I was a long time Sirius/XM user and was disappointed that the 3 did not include this.

Two months later and I am very happy with the Slacker radio. I have my favorites set up and my song lists within the favorites. I am listening to the same music as S/XM.

I have drive from one end of NC to the other and have yet to lose cellular coverage, even in areas that were notorious for dead spots in the past.

A guy in the service center told me it's a hardware issue; Sirius requires an antenna and they couldn't find room for it.

Reactions: jdcollins5
Got my car back from installer today, my plan for the sirius xm touch commander failed. The cars antenna ended up being the black 3 prong connector that is circled, not the lower one that I thought would have been it. Had the antenna plug been the traditional type the touch commander should have worked. The other option I tried was ordering a bluetooth transmitter from amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5KKUR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )that would plug into the touch commanders aux jack and convert the signal to bluetooth. The transmitter would eventually pair with the model 3 after several tried and I could play music from an iPads headphone jack through the transmitter and to the model 3 stereo. This method was not reliable it would have a hard time reconnecting after I'd turn the car off and come back, so I returned the transmitter. Only other option would be for an aux to fm transmitter but I've heard that none of the ones today are very powerful due to FCC regulations. I did however get my Valentine One radar detector hard wired. He tapped the light blue gray wire in the kick panel that powers the 12v outlet. Am currently using the stock suction cup mount to hold it on the windshield until my blend mount arrives next week (product was supposed to be shipping today) Can post photos when completed.

so i did my own experimenting today since i finally gave in and picked up an onyx plus (i had some best buy reward certs and a GC, so it ended up being like a dollar after all said and done). it does not seem that the top (black) connector here is the antenna connection...at least not by itself. i turned the radio on and then went back to pull the connectors...first i pulled the black one - the radio stayed on. then i pulled the white one, and as expected (with both disconnected) the radio shut off. then, i plugged the black one back in...radio came back on.

it seems that the two connections somehow work in tandem. it's not one or the other...the radio signal is only cut when both are disconnected. if either one is connected by itself, it still works (although the stations list disappears on the display). my guess is that the white one comes from the amplifier, while the black one is the direct connection to the antenna (seems fairly obvious since the ribbon cable goes directly to the antenna on the glass).

i have an open email thread with metra about seeing if they can figure out and develop an antenna adapter for the model 3. in the interim though, i was pleasantly surprised with how well the power connect worked. it's not perfect sound, but it's good enough.