Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the app, as the original poster said, and filter it via Bluetooth. My only problem, unless I haven't figured this out, is that I have to select what I want to hear manually on the phone--the Sirius menu doesn't appear on the screen, unless I'm overlooking something. Makes it less than perfect, all right! I did look over their menu and save my favorites.

I wouldn’t expect menu of channels to appear on Tesla infotainment screen, but do you not have play/pause controls?

Yes, those I have.

I really wish they weren’t in that agreement with Slacker. It’s also a shame they can’t incororate some custom Spotify app because Slacker and Spotify aren’t really comparable in my opinion as the latter is more music on demand while Slacker seems to be a Pandora clone. And Sirius is in another league entirely when it comes to quality and on-air talent. It would be great if Tesla created an App Store and allowed developers to make lightweight “widgets” to run apps - even if they required mobile phone to pair. I really enjoyed the Spotify app BMW created for their iDrive system, which was actually part of the Spotify mobile app - it was quite robust and user interface closely mimicked the mobile app.

I’ve had CarPlay for past year and while it’s not without its quirks, I’ll likely miss it since SiriusXM app was recently updated to support it and Waze CarPlay app is supposedly launching soon...

Get the app, as the original poster said, and filter it via Bluetooth. My only problem, unless I haven't figured this out, is that I have to select what I want to hear manually on the phone--the Sirius menu doesn't appear on the screen, unless I'm overlooking something. Makes it less than perfect, all right! I did look over their menu and save my favorites.

the "just use the app" nonsense is getting a little frustrating at this point. how well does that work when there's no cell service?

I agree that the Achilles Heal of my M3 has been the poor LTE modem/antennas and Slacker Radio app. I really miss Sirius.

It's embarrassing to take someone for a ride, have music drop, and have to listen to FM radio until LTE signal gets strong enough to stream again. It's even more embarassing when the car says it has 4-5 LTE signal bars, but you've skipped too many songs too quickly and the Slacker app refuses to load songs until you reboot the screen.

i've never had this happen...i can skip as many songs as i want and it seems to work fine.

At 4-5 LTE bars mine will let me skip 5-10 songs before it starts having loading issues.
At 3 LTE bars, it'll allow one skip about 50% of the time, and you can see the new song buffer extremely slowly.
At 1-2 LTE bars streaming is completely non-functional once the buffered song ends.

In most cases I have to do the dual-wheel reboot to clear the loading issue. I'm on v2018.32.6.

At 4-5 LTE bars mine will let me skip 5-10 songs before it starts having loading issues.
At 3 LTE bars, it'll allow one skip about 50% of the time, and you can see the new song buffer extremely slowly.
At 1-2 LTE bars streaming is completely non-functional once the buffered song ends.

In most cases I have to do the dual-wheel reboot to clear the loading issue. I'm on v2018.32.6.
Have you submitted a bug report about it?

Touche. Love Sirius/XM, got it in 2 Prius (Priui?). But not being ankle to control the phone app thru the Tesla screen is an issue. Might look at Tunein Pro like some have said. It's got pro football and news I think!

Ken

sad news for anyone (like me) who was hoping vais tech was going to eventually come up with something...they sent me an e-mail this morning saying they're not even working on it because "Tesla is not currently allowing anyone to access their radios."

seems they're not even attempting to reverse engineer it.

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
I have no complaints about Slacker (13 year user of Sirius) after 2+ months. I use it in the car and on my phone offline when taking the train/subway. I like being able to skip songs I don’t like. I pay $10/mo for the Premium service.

I prefer the stations compared to creating my own channel.

Reactions: Dana1
When I got the car (March) there were some places that I would go that I would lose service, so I did once think that satellite would be a good option. Over time Elon has turned out to be correct, as more and more cellular has rolled out I haven't dropped coverage in months. I was super happy as I explored TuneIn, every station I could want and more. Sure some won't load, like the feeds for the Fire Department. But all my music was there and I could even listen to my old LA radio stations.

Suddenly I am discovering my stations going away from TuneIn, when I am listening over-the-air locally those stations now identify as Radio.com "exclusives". Someone is buying up all the good stations. It's becoming like the streaming TV services. You need to have more than one to get everything you want. Perhaps Elon was right about creating his own music service (or buying one). Though having all the money in the world doesn't guarantee good streaming offerings, after owning AppleTVs for a decade they're always relegated to the second HDMI input on the TV.

If there is a way to get KROQ and KITS back in the car, let me know.

-Randy

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JES2