Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to get Sirius/XM in a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I know that you can't get satellite radio directly to a Tesla. To me that's a huge downside.
Tesla told me to just use the App.
That being said, is it just me, or can you BARELY control the App from the touchscreen? Only the current channel shows on the screen and you can hit pause, but there doesn't seem to be much else you can do. I thought we'd be able to control it just like on the phone.
For now I hit autosteer when I fumble around with the App on my phone. I don't like it.

Is there a better way to do it? I feel like I must be missing something.

I’ve installed SiriusXM in the Tesla, the kit was $60.00 with 3 free months on Amazon, plus you get the app service as well. It came in handy because there was a LTE signal dead zone heading into Las Vegas and that’s when I used this device. The Antenna is located inside on the back shelf between the rear speakers. Unfortunately you can not manage this from the front screen, but I mainly use it for when I have no signal in the desert.

SiriusXM
4.0 out of 5 stars 1,677Reviews
SiriusXM SXPL1V1 Onyx Plus Satellite Radio with Vehicle Kit with Free 3 Months Satellite and Streaming Service

Reactions: gt2690b
69CA1F47-69A4-44E1-8963-24DF912E955E.jpeg
BB88CCC1-B8A0-45B6-BFE8-10D31ED8DBB2.jpeg

Reactions: lUtriaNt
Yes I know that you can't get satellite radio directly to a Tesla. To me that's a huge downside.
Tesla told me to just use the App.
That being said, is it just me, or can you BARELY control the App from the touchscreen? Only the current channel shows on the screen and you can hit pause, but there doesn't seem to be much else you can do. I thought we'd be able to control it just like on the phone.
For now I hit autosteer when I fumble around with the App on my phone. I don't like it.

Is there a better way to do it? I feel like I must be missing something.

here's the link to my install thread here:
installing satellite radio (or other aux input) via FM direct adapter

and here's the link to another forum where the steps are laid out a bit better (because i was able to edit the post for longer than 15 seconds after posting it):
installing satellite radio (or other aux input) via FM direct adapter - Tesla Owners Online

TLDR: antenna adapters to tie the sound into the factory system (via FM), and then drill a small hole in the back of the console (bottom right, under the USB ports) to pass the wires in. portable XM unit goes in the front part of the center console and is mounted to the wall via adhesive disc and suction cup.

if you can find a better spot to mount the unit, you can potentially avoid drilling the hole to get the wires into the console...but i wanted something where i can easily hide everything without having to disconnect anything. with it mounted inside the console it's easy: just close the lid.

7M39BUl.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Torque Monster
I’m very happy with SiriusXM streaming subscription. Works great even in rural areas. It’s not very expensive. I don’t channel surf so it’s perfect for me. I have unlimited data with Verizon.

Reactions: guggie1
Yes I agree that it's dirt cheap and I don't channel surf very often, but it's frightening to do so on my phone.
I really miss the controls that I had with my previous car(and all cars that have it).

install the portable unit and you can surf just as you would on the head unit of any other car, you're just doing it on a smaller unit rather than the tesla screen.

also, i really wish the "just use your phone" crew would give it a rest every time one of these threads pops up. there are valid reasons for not wanting (or being able to) use your phone, just because it works for you doesn't mean nobody else should have any other options.

install the portable unit and you can surf just as you would on the head unit of any other car, you're just doing it on a smaller unit rather than the tesla screen.

also, i really wish the "just use your phone" crew would give it a rest every time one of these threads pops up. there are valid reasons for not wanting (or being able to) use your phone, just because it works for you doesn't mean nobody else should have any other options.
Nobody is saying nobody else should have any other options. If a question is asked we just give our experience as an option.

If you’re bothered by the replies don’t follow the thread. Just my 2 cents.

i literally said the entirety of the forum every time this question is asked, but sure.

also, saying "if you're bothered don't follow" sounds a hell of a lot like not wanting anyone to have any other options, considering you're telling someone who has done it to not bother showing anyone else how to do it. just my 2 cents.

• Disagree
Reactions: tangible1 and colea
There are "literally" 3 (three) replies that indicate that they use their phones. Not one of them suggests that it should be an option that you should use, they just say they use them. That's a really small subset of the "entirety of the forum", and not really enough responses to get upset about. Easily ignorable. If you really want to see arrogant suggestions to just use your phone, try posting this on facebook in one of the model 3 groups - the ignorati are alive and well there, in great numbers.