Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sirius XM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like the Siruis XM service and honestly hate their billing policies so its been a love hate relation for me. That said I was surprised when I bought my new Model Y it lacked the hardware for Sirius XM-- perhaps they did me a favor? But I still long for the satellite radio service I've become accustomed to using. I've made several upgrades to my new model Y -- Mini display, Mud splash guards, replacement of rear reflectors for working lights and more but everything added looks like it could be stock. I've searched the internet seeking a method to install satellite radio with the caveat it should look stock -- Sirius onyx module with magnetic antenna is not acceptable in my book-- That said --has anyone installed the hardware from a model X for satellite radio in a model Y? is it possible? can it be made functional?

Interestingly enough, the Tesla Semi seems to have SXM….. picture from Motor Trend.

8DAE1DF5-D527-42CE-A93C-2EC5E4D6481F.jpeg

Reactions: Icehedgehog88
Yes, I did it over the weekend and it works. From what I've read, you must have an Intel Atom system and not one of the newer AMD Ryzen systems. You can either use a Model X or S radio that's the same dimensions as the Model Y radio. (See comparison picture below.) The Model Y radio has a rectangular white connector on one side and a "double barrel" round white connector on the other side. The compatible Model X/S radios will look almost the same, but with an additional "single barrel" round "curry" colored connector on the same side as the double barrel white one. The "curry" colored connector is a Fakra K "Curry" male connector for the SiriusXM antenna (circled in the picture below).

Everything works but I'm not getting great reception when driving around, possibly due to where I placed the antenna, possible due to using an off-brand antenna that has a Fakra connector. The color of the Fakra connector matters--I found out the hard way. I've now ordered an SiriusXM brand antenna and a Fakra Curry adapter. I'll play around with mounting locations and antenna brands. Once everything is satisfactory, I'll post a full write-up. The install was very easy because the connectors between Model S/X radios and the Model Y are identical except for the extra SiriusXM antenna.

1696365283607.jpeg

Yes, I did it over the weekend and it works. From what I've read, you must have an Intel Atom system and not one of the newer AMD Ryzen systems. You can either use a Model X or S radio that's the same dimensions as the Model Y radio. (See comparison picture below.) The Model Y radio has a rectangular white connector on one side and a "double barrel" round white connector on the other side. The compatible Model X/S radios will look almost the same, but with an additional "single barrel" round "curry" colored connector on the same side as the double barrel white one. The "curry" colored connector is a Fakra K "Curry" male connector for the SiriusXM antenna (circled in the picture below).

Everything works but I'm not getting great reception when driving around, possibly due to where I placed the antenna, possible due to using an off-brand antenna that has a Fakra connector. The color of the Fakra connector matters--I found out the hard way. I've now ordered an SiriusXM brand antenna and a Fakra Curry adapter. I'll play around with mounting locations and antenna brands. Once everything is satisfactory, I'll post a full write-up. The install was very easy because the connectors between Model S/X radios and the Model Y are identical except for the extra SiriusXM antenna.

View attachment 979346
so most model y's with hw4 won't be able to do this swap? even with the swap does the app just magically show up or how are you playing sxm?

Yes, SiriusXM shows up on the Infotainment system screen and I'm playing it similar to FM radio.

My best guess is that they used the same Intel Atom hardware for Model S/X retrofits, so they wrote the SiriusXM software for Intel Atom with a flag to turn the feature on if the SiriusXM antenna is detected. They aren't offering HW4 retrofits to anyone, so there's no need to write the SiriusXM software for Ryzen. This is my best educated guess, but I don't know for sure.

1696455478003.png

Reactions: crackers8199
Yes, SiriusXM shows up on the Infotainment system screen and I'm playing it similar to FM radio.

My best guess is that they used the same Intel Atom hardware for Model S/X retrofits, so they wrote the SiriusXM software for Intel Atom with a flag to turn the feature on if the SiriusXM antenna is detected. They aren't offering HW4 retrofits to anyone, so there's no need to write the SiriusXM software for Ryzen. This is my best educated guess, but I don't know for sure.

View attachment 979673
that's awesome . . and that also bites. oh well. . I love SXM and would love to get it back (and no I don't want to stream it over my phone or through a browser) but I'll have to wait to see if Tesla will offer it in the long run.

thanks for your response.

View attachment 979673

it'll show up on the screen in ryzen cars, just won't play the audio.