Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Bluetooth Docking Station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see that the Bluetooth docking station for SiriusXM is finally available

Bluetooth SiriusXM Satellite Radio Vehicle Dock SXBTD1V1

Has anyone used this device for using a SiriusXM receiver to have SiriusXM play through a Bluetooth connection?

I’m interested in the idea, but I would have to buy a compatible SiriusXM receiver (my current receiver is not compatible with the Bluetooth dock), then pay to change my lifetime Sirius subscription to XM. I’m a bit hesitant to take those step if I would discover that the setup didn’t work with my Model 3 for some reason.

just download the sirusxm app to your phone and stream from it to your car, why buy an extra part?
I drive about 5,000 km/month and I listen to music a lot of that time. Where I live data is expensive. In addition, I drive places where there is spotty, or no, cel phone reception. I am likely to have a clear satellite signal in those locations.

I have a lifetime Sirius radio subscription. It makes sense to me to use that rather than to incur data costs as the radio signal purchase cost has already been incurred.

Where I live, touching a cel phone is a moving violation with a first offence fine of $200+. Changing a station on a radio is not an offence.

I'm trying to checkout with one on SiriusXM's website and it's not working. Bummer.

The usefulness of this is less since Spötify came around, but it'll still please my wife... which is good for all of us. Now I have to figure out how to mount it to the base of the display somehow. Challenge accepted.

Where does the antenna go? I read the glass on the roof will block the signal.
just download the sirusxm app to your phone and stream from it to your car, why buy an extra part?

What works for some people doesnt work for others.

Ties up your phone
Uses data
Data costs money for some people
Data not available everywhere

Some people enjoy sirius/xm and I am one of them. Yes audio quality is lower than other sources, but it offers a lot of channels I like. Its available everywhere. It costs $5-6 a month when you call to negotiate every 6 months so its cheap. I will be interested in getting something to work in the model 3.

I see that the Bluetooth docking station for SiriusXM is finally available

Bluetooth SiriusXM Satellite Radio Vehicle Dock SXBTD1V1

Has anyone used this device for using a SiriusXM receiver to have SiriusXM play through a Bluetooth connection?

I’m interested in the idea, but I would have to buy a compatible SiriusXM receiver (my current receiver is not compatible with the Bluetooth dock), then pay to change my lifetime Sirius subscription to XM. I’m a bit hesitant to take those step if I would discover that the setup didn’t work with my Model 3 for some reason.
$40! are they just selling the dock? are there radio options that already have BT built in? does this just exist because of the antenna requirements?

Where does the antenna go? I read the glass on the roof will block the signal.

the glass absolutely will not block the signal (source: me, i've been driving around with the antenna on the rear deck without any issues for nearly a year now). the antenna works just fine inside the car.

https://i.imgur.com/ATuowTI.jpg

you can see here where i have the antenna in the back passenger-side corner.

also, you can install using the regular fm direct adapter and not worry about the hassle of bluetooth and not being able to have your phone and the radio connected at the same time (again, source: me). it's really not a difficult install at all, just somewhat time consuming. the hardest part is pulling the console and drilling a hole for the power and antenna to pass through, and even that is literally only six bolts and a few clips to release and slide it out.

in reality, you don't even need to do that if you want to mount the dock somewhere else (i only did because i wanted it out of sight inside the console to keep the clean look of the interior and for theft deterrence purposes).

installing satellite radio (or other aux input) via FM direct adapter

Or Tesla can finally create their own app store and add SiriusXM app into a user friendly (unlimited favorite station) built-in interface. :)

YES! Short of true hardware integration (which we know isn't happening), adding it as an App is a close second. I am hopeful that this is on the 2020 roadmap (somewhere between games I could care less about i'm sure)

Or Tesla can finally create their own app store and add SiriusXM app into a user friendly (unlimited favorite station) built-in interface. :)

YES! Short of true hardware integration (which we know isn't happening), adding it as an App is a close second. I am hopeful that this is on the 2020 roadmap (somewhere between games I could care less about i'm sure)

the problem with that is that you'd still be subject to cell phone data restrictions. no cell service, no audio. that's part of what a traditional satellite install accomplishes.

True, but that isn't much of an issue for me at least. I don't want another device in my car (so the bluetooth or FM dock is out), but an App that uses Tesla Premium data and is thoughtfully integrated to my screen/voice comments would be very welcome.

Really? I think that they have heard loud and clear that the infotainment area has been a weak spot in the M3. and finally responded by bringing Spotify to US cars, and added video entertainment with Netflix, Hulu, YouTube. I was particularly heartened to see Twitch added in a recent update, as that is a possible signal that they aren't going to stop with the initial batch of partners (or that Twitch was just late to the initial party). They also have made meaningful improvements to the USB player (though it still has a ways to go)

I have to think that short of the dream of CarPlay, which I don't believe will happen, Tesla is going to be looking for more reasons to get people to pay the $10/month premium data charge, and audio is a lot easier than video and Sirius is a huge hole in the offering now. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a future update, but that is 100% speculation.

I think that they have heard loud and clear that the infotainment area has been a weak spot in the M3. and finally responded by bringing Spotify to US cars,

they likely did this because their exclusivity with slacker expired, not because they simply decided the infotainment needed an upgrade. without slacker exclusivity i would imagine spotify would have been a part of US cars much sooner...but either way you're comparing apples to oranges.

Yes, I know for certain that at least some of the appropriate people at Tesla are aware that their infotainment offering for the M3 was lacking in the US. Audio is FAR and away the biggest form of media consumption in a vehicle, so while the video efforts are nice, audio support is key. Spotify was the no-brainer since as you said, they had it baked into their code and it was a matter of the Slacker contract expiring (and combined with the packaging of premium connectivity).

I don't think this is apples to oranges. There is a world of streaming audio support that will benefit their ability to both sell vehicles and premium subs. The biggest missing piece is Sirius XM which is available in essentially every other car (including MS and MX) manufactured today. For any number of reasons (cost, antenna location, etc...) it was a clear miss for the M3, offering it as a App based solution for upsold customers seems like an ideal solution. I hope Tesla agrees.

Yes, I know for certain that at least some of the appropriate people at Tesla are aware that their infotainment offering for the M3 was lacking in the US. Audio is FAR and away the biggest form of media consumption in a vehicle, so while the video efforts are nice, audio support is key. Spotify was the no-brainer since as you said, they had it baked into their code and it was a matter of the Slacker contract expiring (and combined with the packaging of premium connectivity).

I don't think this is apples to oranges. There is a world of streaming audio support that will benefit their ability to both sell vehicles and premium subs. The biggest missing piece is Sirius XM which is available in essentially every other car (including MS and MX) manufactured today. For any number of reasons (cost, antenna location, etc...) it was a clear miss for the M3, offering it as a App based solution for upsold customers seems like an ideal solution. I hope Tesla agrees.

i hope you're right...i guess we'll find out.