Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Cover Art/Album Art

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this probably has been mentioned over the years, but want to relate my experience.

One week ago I proudly took delivery of my 2018 Tesla Model S 100d. It comes with SiriusXM capability but no free trial, unlike many other automobile brands. I’m an avid SiriusXM listener and have been for way over 10 years. This was my first Tesla experience having come from BMWs and MBs. When considering my Tesla purchase, I did ask if the SiriusXM radio displays cover art and album art, similar to same for the Tesla streaming channels as well as in other brand vehicles. I was told “most likely” as the sales people were unable to try it out since there was no trial installed in the showroom cars.

I got home with my new Tesla, and one of the first things I did was transfer my paid subscription from my previous MB to the new Tesla. I immediately observed that cover art and album art were not displaying. On the dash, just the music symbol. In addition, when setting favorites for SiriusXM, most of the time it would title a channel incorrectly, picking up the name from the station above.

Next day, day two of Tesla ownership, I called Tesla tech support explaining what I was experiencing. I went through the various reset options to no avail and was told to call SiriusXM tech support, which I did, and they were just as baffled. So no resolution on day two of ownership and a considerable amount of time on the phone with two tech support organizations.

Not having time to deal with this during the week, I once again contacted Tesla tech support on day 8 of Tesla ownership. Finally after the Tesla tech support rep reviewed notes of my previous call and doing research of his own, his comment was “I found something”. Tesla has to pay SiriusXM for the ability to use cover art/album art and has chosen not to do so.

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Spending 6 figures for a high end car and Tesla can’t pay for the right for it’s software to pass on cover art/album art from SiriusXM for which I, as a subscriber, pay a fee for. Totally absurd.

I was told that my complaint would be escalated to their development team and to expect a response. And yesterday, I did get a call back from someone in their development team who confirmed that cover art/album art is not available, currently, but will possibly be available with future software updates. Seems like they've not gotten many requests for this feature, which is a surprise to me.

Can anyone else corroborate my experience or offer any other comments?

• Informative
Reactions: BridgeMojo
I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Spending 6 figures for a high end car and Tesla can’t pay for the right for it’s software to pass on cover art/album art from SiriusXM for which I, as a subscriber, pay a fee for. Totally absurd.
Interesting. I don't have SiriusXM myself but FWIW Telsa seems to have a bad grasp of album art even if it is correctly embedded at the source, e.g when playing podcasts from Bluetooth-connected phone you get ridiculously incorrect results (... still, years after people first noticed the bug)

I wouldn't get your hopes up of a fix coming soon for XM album art - any sort of years-old audio player problem seems extremely low priority for Tesla (read: zero priority)

ps welcome to the forums and as a new MS owner!

It’s been that way every since we got our S in late 2016.
It’s annoying as we spent 4K at the time to be able to get Sirius XM. We had to order the sunroof and upgraded audio.
There have been many threads over the years. Tesla obviously doesn’t care about this issue
Not to mention the horrible XM interface. Slightly better with last update but still a joke

I get some weird album when I stream Sirius through the app,, which I have done daily since owning my car.
There's a thread about the odd Album Art that shows up somewhere around here.. It doesn't bother in the slightest bit though as I never have the music showing even when I use slacker which is rare.

cover art/album art is not available, currently, but will possibly be available with future software updates

Hi Ron - Welcome to Tesla. I hope you enjoy your ride as much as we have ours over the last 3+ years. There are s/w quirks that you'll find now and some more that have yet to show up. That's because Tesla updates software pretty regularly. In fact, you can look up media player here in the forums and see how various things have improved and some of us have complained about other items regressing for years now. That being said, I find the current SXM radio display better than the last iteration that you should be glad that you missed out on. Their "possibly be available" response means just that. Maybe yes, maybe no. HTH

I would personally vote for cover art as a 'nice to have' feature rather then a need. Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Don TLR