Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM doesn't work without cellular connection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swt2c

Jan 31, 2021
VA
Yesterday, I was driving in an area without cellular coverage. I went to switch the MCU to listen to SiriusXM and the display just hung there with the giant spinner. It started working again when I got back to cellular coverage. It sure seems like they are trying to load something over the data connection before enabling SiriusXM. Has anyone else observed this? This is with software 2022.4.5.3.

I haven't noticed that, and I am not sure why it would do this. The SXM radio should not need anything from Tesla if the interface programming has been successfully downloaded and installed during a system update. Were you switching from a streaming source, which would need a cellular connection?

Additional data point: in recent software builds (or possibly related to the ATT 3G shutdown?), I have observed that it now sometimes takes a long time for the car to connect to cellular after starting up - sometimes several minutes.

Tonight, I was in that situation when I got into the car. The car was already tuned to SiriusXM and it worked without cellular connectivity. Then I switched to FM - worked. Then I switched back to Sirius XM - stuck on spinner for several minutes until cellular connectivity established. So it seems that *switching* to SiriusXM while disconnected fails, but if the MCU is already switched to SiriusXM, it works.