Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a different antenna or mounting location?

I live in a very wooded area and can't get a constantly good signal in my driveway and most of my neighborhood. I had it mounted per White-on-White-MY under the trim. and I've 3d printed a mount Dude7 and still get very sketchy reception. I've finally moved the antenna to the roof, until I find a better solution. This has worked better than other internally, but it still cuts out often.

I believe if I had a larger surface area antenna it may work better with lots of trees, Maybe a wire antenna I could mount between the across the glass?
Unfortunately even my Model X will lose signal under heavy trees on occasion.

Any internal antenna will perform worse than an external antenna, provided its attached to a magnetic surface. External is your best bet to solve/reduce it.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a different antenna or mounting location?

I live in a very wooded area and can't get a constantly good signal in my driveway and most of my neighborhood. I had it mounted per White-on-White-MY under the trim. and I've 3d printed a mount Dude7 and still get very sketchy reception. I've finally moved the antenna to the roof, until I find a better solution. This has worked better than other internally, but it still cuts out often.

I believe if I had a larger surface area antenna it may work better with lots of trees, Maybe a wire antenna I could mount between the across the glass?
If I had to mount an additional antenna to receive Sirius it would be a no go. Especially since Spotify works great with no additional equipment needed.

A restart could take the radio offline as the refresh signal of the RADIO ID with subscription info is only there for about a second or two in the data stream.

My radio's including a Model X came to life while refreshing the radio from my phone at the SXM website, and it came to life within a minute or two later. Also verified by a VP at SXM.
I’m sure YMMV, but I also sat on customer support for 30 minutes waiting for a refresh signal to be processed. It only came to life after restarting the MCU.

I’m sure YMMV, but I also sat on customer support for 30 minutes waiting for a refresh signal to be processed. It only came to life after restarting the MCU.
Let me try to help you. I worked at SXM. The car radio's whether they be a Tesla model or GM model or Ford model, use common SXM receivers and chipsets. Tesla's volume is so low, being only on S and X models, its not a custom design. Tesla can reboot a car infotainment system with a 2 wheel reset. What about a Cadillac, a Mustang etc. They cannot do this. So the refresh signal design is the same across the car OEMs. The radio must process the refresh signal without a power down and power up. You change your package, users are not asked to power down and power up receivers. Try it.

Additional additional reboots decreases the chances of "catching" the reset signal from the Sat as the radio has to do a cold restart and can take a few minutes for the receivers to lock on to signals. It could be powered down during the refresh signal push from the Sats. What you are promoting decreases the chance of success. This is where I will leave it hoping the technical comparisons somehow make sense to you.

Let me try to help you. I worked at SXM. The car radio's whether they be a Tesla model or GM model or Ford model, use common SXM receivers and chipsets. Tesla's volume is so low, being only on S and X models, its not a custom design. Tesla can reboot a car infotainment system with a 2 wheel reset. What about a Cadillac, a Mustang etc. They cannot do this. So the refresh signal design is the same across the car OEMs. The radio must process the refresh signal without a power down and power up. You change your package, users are not asked to power down and power up receivers. Try it.

Additional additional reboots decreases the chances of "catching" the reset signal from the Sat as the radio has to do a cold restart and can take a few minutes for the receivers to lock on to signals. It could be powered down during the refresh signal push from the Sats. What you are promoting decreases the chance of success. This is where I will leave it hoping the technical comparisons somehow make sense to you.
All I’m telling the dude is this button does not appear to work.

image.jpg

Honestly, I’m glad you work at SXM. This is a post about adding an unsupported functionality to a car that doesn’t have it by default. I don’t know why you feel the need to write it in a way that you think I don’t understand technology. In my experience after waiting 30 minutes for a refresh signal to propagate, again, IN MY EXPERIENCE; The refresh signal sent by SXM does not immediately get reflected in the TESLA OPERATING SYSTEM without a MCU RESTART. I am not blaming SXM for anything, I believe the car IS getting the refresh signal. I am saying it appears a bug in teslas operating system does not apply the refreshed data and channel selection until after the restart, likely something to do with caching. I don’t know why you think I’m saying you’re wrong, because I believe you know what you’re talking about, I’m just letting the guy know that on our unsupported platform (Model 3 and Y), he may need to do this step. This process likely works flawlessly in S and X, but for whatever reason, when I waited for refresh signals to be sent down from the mothership, nothing propagated on the car until the double button restart. If you’re experience on the manner is for you X only, that’s great, but I think it’s important to consider that this app isn’t even supposed to exist on the 3/Y platform and there is a solid chance that it isn’t going to function the same.

Last edited:
If I had to mount an additional antenna to receive Sirius it would be a no go. Especially since Spotify works great with no additional equipment needed.

I mounted mine on a printed mount attached to the glass on the inside directly below the trim on the lift gate. Unless you are looking for it, you would never see it.

I have 2 lifetime accounts, it costs me nothing to have SXM, just the parts for the install. Spotify costs money (since the free accounts don't work in the car's interface). I will eventually add SXM to my TM3, but my wife doesn't really spend much time in the car, and I let my brother use my 2nd lifetime account in his truck.

Also, there are spots on my daily commute that AT&T (Tesla's cell carrier) has drop zones. My SXM works beautifully through these areas. Even my cell phone (T-Mobile) has a couple dropzones so when I was streaming SXM from my phone, it would cut out.

Adding another data point. Just finished my install yesterday using dude7's guide on my 2024 MYLR using a receiver from a 2016-2020 Model X (PN: 1143716-00-B). The install was relatively easy, but I had to reboot again after reinstalling the software for SXM to show up.

For anyone else looking for a reciever right now, there is 1 more on ebay with that part number and is reasonably priced.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
To add onto this, this issue I’m informing him about could be outdated information and fixed in an update. I’ve not needed a refresh signal sent since 2023.44.1. So it could easily be patched now.
I just confirmed on 2024.3.10 that this issue is still present. My free trial expired, and I opted not to renew (as I wanted to take advantage of the 3-month for $1 offer). I activated the subscription after my tuner appeared inactive on the subscription tab. I waited the 15 minutes suggested by SXM for the refresh signal, but no dice. I clicked the refresh signal button and waited the recommended time again, but no dice. I rebooted the MCU, and the vehicle now shows the active subscription and is allowed access to the channels again. So, if you run into this and the subscription tab is not automatically reflecting the subscription, wait a bit (I recommend the full 15 minutes plus some extra), then reboot the MCU for the subscription to display. Not sure if this is an issue for all, but on my HW3 MY with the -A tuner, this is consistent.

Unsure how this is handled if the car is in deep sleep when you send this refresh signal.

Reactions: crackers8199
You stated : "how well does it work when there's no cell service?"

How do I interpret "no cell service"? When would not I not have cell service?

In your rural area, do you have AT&T drop areas. If you do, you will lose your connection to Spotify (there might be a buffer that has to run out that might fool one into thinking you are still connected with a short drop zone).

The cellular service is with AT&T (at least that's what shows on my replacement service when they replaced my cellular module a couple weeks ago).

Last edited by a moderator:
You stated : "how well does it work when there's no cell service?"

How do I interpret "no cell service"? When would not I not have cell service?

congrats on being the one singular person on the planet who has never encountered a cell dead zone in your entire life. your parents should be proud.

i'll play along, though. go on a road trip in the northern rockies and tell me how well spotify works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: tradosaurus