Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully installed a SiriusXM radio using the direct antenna kit?

I watched a video on the Model 3 and started looking for the FM Tuner on the Y. Apparently it is not in the C pillar like the 3, but in the middle of the liftgate. Seems like a weird area as all I see is 2 wires connected to a harness one 1 side, and 2 antenna cables on the other side being fed back into the car C pillar.

1630440051528.jpeg

However, it looks like the Model Y may have dual antennas? Not sure if it actually is 2 antennas or if one is for something like GPS.

1630440131410.jpeg

Does anyone know where exactly the antenna is or a good way to connect the direct FM adapter successfully?

I’m pretty sure that a satellite antenna needs to “see” the sky as opposed to being buried in the vehicle’s structure. It would be quite a challenge to mount a Sirius/XM antenna onto a glass roof (and if mounted inside, the IR/UV coatings on the roof might interfere with signal reception). And even if you can mount an antenna that pulls in decent reception, where would you run the wire without seeing it run along the glass?

I’m pretty sure that a satellite antenna needs to “see” the sky as opposed to being buried in the vehicle’s structure. It would be quite a challenge to mount a Sirius/XM antenna onto a glass roof (and if mounted inside, the IR/UV coatings on the roof might interfere with signal reception). And even if you can mount an antenna that pulls in decent reception, where would you run the wire without seeing it run along the glass?
The SiriusXM antenna included in the SiriusXM Onyx kit is magnetic. You can attach it to the hatch or the top rail of the Model Y (both of these parts of the Model Y are currently made of steel.) Another option is to use double sided 3M mounting tape (not sure if 3M mounting tape is weatherproof.)

Although it would take some time to run the antenna wire behind the trim or under the carpet you could install the SiriusXM Onyx kit, have it working in less than an hour. The audio signal would have to use BT streaming or FM broadcasting from the Onyx receiver as the Tesla Model Y vehicle does not have an input for an audio adapter plug.

Reactions: t-mo
Thawing an old thread: did you decide where to put the Sirius antenna? I just got a MYLR and working on getting Sirius going; took a moment to figure out why the magnet wasn't sticking to the roof. :)

Trying to find the best place to put it: rear hatch typically is good, but hard to figure out where to send the wire. I had it on the rail above the door as just a proof of concept, but not sure that will work well in the long run. Ideally, I think it want's to be on something big and flat. The hood isn't magnetic, so that won't work.

Otherwise, 3M tape like you said? Makes a bit more of a mess if/when I remove it, though.

For what it's worth, I figured out a pretty slick way to do the Sirius antenna on the MY. First issue is it's magnetic and the whole roof is glass, but the trunk is metal. I found I could stuff the wire down in the gap around the rear window and up to the edge of the tailgate. It was tight to get it in, but actually loose once it got in there so I could take up the slack.
Right now I just have it dropping in through the door way, but I'll eventually try to route it into one of the tailgate "tubes" that has the wires for the gate. Some pics:

IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG
IMG_0565.JPG
IMG_0566.JPG
IMG_0567.JPG

I was very pleased there was no SiriusXM in my Y. I recently got another vehicle which was equipped. After that, I was harassed for over a year with calls from Sirius. Blocked dozens of numbers. I've used Sirius before on a trial basis with another car and it was most unreliable, even on I5. Kept cutting out. Useless from my experience and love lack of harassment with my Y. Don't know if Sirius has some special deal with the dealers but Ford shared my information with Sirius without permission. The way they used that really pissed me off. I would never support that behavior with a subscription. I know some enjoy it but I just don't get it.

For what it's worth, I figured out a pretty slick way to do the Sirius antenna on the MY. First issue is it's magnetic and the whole roof is glass, but the trunk is metal. I found I could stuff the wire down in the gap around the rear window and up to the edge of the tailgate. It was tight to get it in, but actually loose once it got in there so I could take up the slack.
Right now I just have it dropping in through the door way, but I'll eventually try to route it into one of the tailgate "tubes" that has the wires for the gate. Some pics:

View attachment 885445View attachment 885447View attachment 885448View attachment 885449View attachment 885445View attachment 885447View attachment 885448View attachment 885449
Well done I guess but do question all the effort. In my previous car I simply set the small antenna on the front dash at the slope of the windshield and never once had an issue over the 10 years. Your solution will work just question if it was necessary.

Well done I guess but do question all the effort. In my previous car I simply set the small antenna on the front dash at the slope of the windshield and never once had an issue over the 10 years. Your solution will work just question if it was necessary.
Yes, when I had it in my old Audi, I did the same. Tucked the wire along the seam between dash and windshield. Mounting it on the trunk lid is really ugly (no offense). I just stream it through my phone now and haven't had a connectivity issue yet.

Reactions: Yelobird
I travel in places where the internet is very patchy and frequently non existent, so streaming wasn't really an option. I've never had Sirius cut out on me unless I'm in a tunnel or parking garage. Even then in major cities (like NYC), they have terrestrial signals that work in buildings and tunnels, so you stay up there too.

Running the antenna on the dash was a consideration, and was "plan B", but I prefer it to be outside, if possible. Ideally, antennas want to be sitting in the middle of a broad, flat, metal surface. Typically, you use the roof, but the closest thing in the Y was the trunk. The dash is probably fine in most cases, but the trunk should work just a bit better.

I don't find the aesthetics too offensive, especially since the wire is completely hidden. It's in the back, right by the window, and it's not a show car or anything.

Mainly, just posting this in case there's anyone else out there that really misses having Sirius in their Tesla, and giving them options.

Reactions: ArtK and JonB65
See this thread:

There is a lot of information including MY specific installation information. For me, the hardest part is acquiring the Model S/X radio. I have been unable to get one from a service center and I have not found one on eBay for a reasonable price. Thus I have not actually tried this yet. I would like to, though, mostly out of curiosity. When I had SXM in a previous car I would have to cancel the subscription every 6 months so that they would give me a "don't cancel" price of $5/month for 6 months. I got tired of making that call.

While you can get SXM working with the UI in the MY there are general issues as detailed in the thread above and also in various MS and MX threads. These appear to be Tesla UI issues and not MY specific ones.

See this thread:

There is a lot of information including MY specific installation information. For me, the hardest part is acquiring the Model S/X radio. I have been unable to get one from a service center and I have not found one on eBay for a reasonable price. Thus I have not actually tried this yet. I would like to, though, mostly out of curiosity. When I had SXM in a previous car I would have to cancel the subscription every 6 months so that they would give me a "don't cancel" price of $5/month for 6 months. I got tired of making that call.

While you can get SXM working with the UI in the MY there are general issues as detailed in the thread above and also in various MS and MX threads. These appear to be Tesla UI issues and not MY specific ones.
I did the same thing in previous vehicle, Cancel SiriusXM every 6 months before they could charge my card, and have to try to get another promotional subscription. What a PAIN that was.