Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why you can't play content from the web browser while you are driving: in park it could act like a normal web browser but if you are not in park, it could put the web browser in the background or black out the video portion while still playing audio only. That way, I could start a podcast like Joe Rogan and just listen while I drive. Or I could start streaming Sirius/XM through the web player and still hear the sound. Seems like it'd be a simple update to "minimize" the browser or just blank out any video while driving but still stream the audio portion.

Mike

I’ve seen online where people install an aftermarket radio in the center console and wire the antenna to the back of the car. The radio takes the place of an FM station then you use the remote to adjust the SXM radio stations. Is anyone else thinking of doing this? I’m a huge stern fan (ah baba booey to you all) so Sirius is really my only option.
I stream Stern all day long from the Sirius app via Bluetooth, works flawless - it's my favorite

Reactions: sa012
All I used in my previous car was SXM and AM radio. Totally bummed I lost both of those. However, TuneIn radio works really well. Found a few sweet podcasts and TuneIn has AM radio. Looks like it also streams all the NFL games. While I’d like to have SXM back, TuneIn radio does a great job.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
I stream Stern all day long from the Sirius app via Bluetooth, works flawless - it's my favorite

I tried that but taking the phone out of my pocket, opening the app, and starting it was a bit of a hassle as was changing stations via the phone. Then half the time I'd forget my phone and leave it in the car. I decided to just cancel it and use the car's streaming services.

Mike

I tried that but taking the phone out of my pocket, opening the app, and starting it was a bit of a hassle as was changing stations via the phone. Then half the time I'd forget my phone and leave it in the car. I decided to just cancel it and use the car's streaming services.

Mike
I’m thinking of just canceling as well. I like to change channels a lot. It isn’t very safe or convenient to use the phone for that while driving.

That's a idea... but NO WAY I'm doing that in my car... The allure of the car is "Simplistic" and clean... I just see this extra radio as non needed device and to be honest I seen those mods... looks cheap..

if done right, it looks far from "cheap." mine is tucked into the center console and if i close the lid it looks like nothing is even there. the wires and everything else is hidden, except for the portable unit that sits just below the phone dock.

the only other thing that's visible anywhere inside the car is the xm antenna which sits on the rear deck (without any glue needed because it's metallic so the magnet sticks to it). other than that, it keeps the exact same simplistic look the car has from the factory, which is why i did it this way.

console1-e1587411224905.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: danarcha
Really wish the Sirius xm app worked with Siri that would make it easy to switch channels in the app...

if you have an android phone, it does work via android auto ("hey google" will change the channels for you). i use this a lot when the mets are on the road and i want to listen to their broadcast team, since only the home feeds are on the actual satellite.

that's also one of the downsides of echo auto - for some reason, they refuse to update their bluetooth display to include the score and period of the game for sporting events. android auto copies all that information into the display, so that it shows up on the tesla main screen...all echo auto does it show you the channel number or the teams that are playing, but no additional information. i (and many others) have reported this to amazon multiple times, but they seem completely uninterested in fixing it.

Reactions: THXULTRA
if you have an android phone, it does work via android auto ("hey google" will change the channels for you). i use this a lot when the mets are on the road and i want to listen to their broadcast team, since only the home feeds are on the actual satellite.

that's also one of the downsides of echo auto - for some reason, they refuse to update their bluetooth display to include the score and period of the game for sporting events. android auto copies all that information into the display, so that it shows up on the tesla main screen...all echo auto does it show you the channel number or the teams that are playing, but no additional information. i (and many others) have reported this to amazon multiple times, but they seem completely uninterested in fixing it.
I really believe sirius XM wants you to use a sat radio in the car so they don't add these features. I don't change the channel much so I end up setting the channel on my phone when I go. Amazon auto sounds like a good compromise for me though may have to look into one. Just hate to have another device in the car. Really like the clean look of the Model 3 so adding more devices takes away from that... First world problems :)

Reactions: hcdavis3
I really believe sirius XM wants you to use a sat radio in the car so they don't add these features. I don't change the channel much so I end up setting the channel on my phone when I go. Amazon auto sounds like a good compromise for me though may have to look into one. Just hate to have another device in the car. Really like the clean look of the Model 3 so adding more devices takes away from that... First world problems :)

this has nothing to do with siriusXM, it's amazon that hasn't added it. if you open android auto on your phone and listen to siriusXM through there, the extra data is transferred via bluetooth to the tesla screen...amazon does not.

as for the clean look of the model 3, as i've said numerous times, it's pretty easy to install a portable sat radio inside the center console. when i close the lid, literally nothing is visible except the antenna and the tiny wire where it comes out from behind the C-pillar and onto the back deck. no joke, literally everything else looks stock...and i have a true satellite radio connection available to me and am not screwed when i drive through an area with no cell service.

this has nothing to do with siriusXM, it's amazon that hasn't added it. if you open android auto on your phone and listen to siriusXM through there, the extra data is transferred via bluetooth to the tesla screen...amazon does not.

as for the clean look of the model 3, as i've said numerous times, it's pretty easy to install a portable sat radio inside the center console. when i close the lid, literally nothing is visible except the antenna and the tiny wire where it comes out from behind the C-pillar and onto the back deck. no joke, literally everything else looks stock...and i have a true satellite radio connection available to me and am not screwed when i drive through an area with no cell service.
I should have been clearer I meant that the iphone app doesn't have siri control to change stations. I think sirius Xm doesn't add siri support so people get radios.

Do you have the refresh interior or the original interior? I have seen setups with the radio below the phone charger in the non refresh interior.

I should have been clearer I meant that the iphone app doesn't have siri control to change stations. I think sirius Xm doesn't add siri support so people get radios.

Do you have the refresh interior or the original interior? I have seen setups with the radio below the phone charger in the non refresh interior.

original interior. i was the first one (i'm pretty sure anyway) to detail how to do it exactly as you just said (the radio below the phone charger). i posted a picture and a link to the blog post with details on how to do it above.

it may be more complicated to make it happen with the refreshed interior and console, that's true. i have no idea on that...but i would imagine it's somewhat similar.

original interior. i was the first one (i'm pretty sure anyway) to detail how to do it exactly as you just said (the radio below the phone charger). i posted a picture and a link to the blog post with details on how to do it above.

it may be more complicated to make it happen with the refreshed interior and console, that's true. i have no idea on that...but i would imagine it's somewhat similar.
Saw your post above and looks great with your setup. I will have to see when I get my model 3. Will most likely just run the app from the charging pad though doesn't seem like it will be too much of a issue to control it from there.

Reactions: crackers8199
Saw your post above and looks great with your setup. I will have to see when I get my model 3. Will most likely just run the app from the charging pad though doesn't seem like it will be too much of a issue to control it from there.

it's not a huge issue to control it from there, my issue was that i wanted something not beholden to where there is cell service (which, contrary to popular belief on this forum, is not every square inch of this planet). i drive through plenty of places here in so cal and the SW USA that have no service, and my phone is useless in those locations. my portable sat radio, however, keeps on working.

if you decide you want to install one and need help with the refreshed interior, i'm more than willing to help in any way i can (short of lack of expertise, since i obviously don't have the refreshed console to experiment on)...

it's not a huge issue to control it from there, my issue was that i wanted something not beholden to where there is cell service (which, contrary to popular belief on this forum, is not every square inch of this planet). i drive through plenty of places here in so cal and the SW USA that have no service, and my phone is useless in those locations. my portable sat radio, however, keeps on working.

if you decide you want to install one and need help with the refreshed interior, i'm more than willing to help in any way i can (short of lack of expertise, since i obviously don't have the refreshed console to experiment on)...
I go back and forth because like you said the signal is much more solid with the sat radio then cell signal. Are you using the fm modulator then to get the signal to the car stereo? I wish Tesla would put in a aux input but they don't have one on any of their cars.

Reactions: crackers8199
I go back and forth because like you said the signal is much more solid with the sat radio then cell signal. Are you using the fm modulator then to get the signal to the car stereo? I wish Tesla would put in a aux input but they don't have one on any of their cars.

yep, i use antenna adapters (also not sure if the FM radio is in the same spot in the refresh but i would imagine it probably is). i actually completely disconnected the antenna and antenna amplifier because i almost never use FM at this point. if you don't use the antenna adapters it's tough to find an empty FM frequency, especially in saturated areas like we have here in so cal. even with the antenna and antenna amp disconnected, i sometimes still have to switch to a different FM frequency...but not often and it's much easier to find an empty one than with the antenna amplifier connected.

the FM radio still works for extremely strong stations anyway even with everything disconnected, just obviously with decreased range. the instructions and links to the antenna adapters are in my blog post.

there's also a bluetooth dock available now if you want to go that route, but i didn't because A) it wasn't available yet when i did this and B) you can only have one bluetooth device connected at a time. if the chip supports it and tesla ever enabled two bluetooth devices to connect at the same time in the software so i could have the dock and my phone both connected, i'd probably take the FM adapters out and switch to BT...but alas, that's still not possible.

No Sirus XM is REDICULOUS!!! I noticed this when I test drove the car and discussed with the rep. I went ahead and ordered and take delivery next week but even though I already have a check in hand from the bank to give Tesla, I am considereing cancelling! Not just over this stupid cheap-out on Tesla's part but also because there are no tax credits for Teslas either. The rep played dumb when asked that question so I asked my accountant after ordering, only for him to respond "sure they have tax credits". After doing a little research, I found out quickly that my account didn't know what he was talking about either. After paying $60k or more for a car that already has certain incovenieces ie..(charging), it is really insulting that Tesla wants to nickle and dime you for radio service!

No Sirus XM is REDICULOUS!!! I noticed this when I test drove the car and discussed with the rep. I went ahead and ordered and take delivery next week but even though I already have a check in hand from the bank to give Tesla, I am considereing cancelling! Not just over this stupid cheap-out on Tesla's part but also because there are no tax credits for Teslas either. The rep played dumb when asked that question so I asked my accountant after ordering, only for him to respond "sure they have tax credits". After doing a little research, I found out quickly that my account didn't know what he was talking about either. After paying $60k or more for a car that already has certain incovenieces ie..(charging), it is really insulting that Tesla wants to nickle and dime you for radio service!
Sirius Xm is hardly a reason to not get the car. You can always use the app/ get a external radio or use a Alexia auto. I just use the app right now in my S. Tax credits aren't Tesla's fault. I really think that congress should change the EV tax credit and make it only for cars produced in America. Help with jobs here. Right now GM and Tesla are the only companies that don't get it. Blame the govt for that one though. Not sure what inconvenience you are talking about with charging the car also kind of had to know your situation with that when you ordered the car. I find it much more convenient then a gas car because I never have to go to the gas station. Plug in at night and it is good to go. Sounds like the car isn't a good fit for you so you should find a car that you will be happy with.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte