Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first two are features nobody else offers. They already also offer several music apps. No matter how many they offer (until at least the open the full app store) there's gonna be somebody upset they don't offer the one THEY want.
I view your response as perhaps a bit disingenuous, since just about every new car for the last several years has offered SXM; when it comes to auto audio that’s not bog-standard AM/FM, SXM is probably the most widely available, not a niche choice as you imply.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
I view your response as perhaps a bit disingenuous, since just about every new car for the last several years has offered SXM; when it comes to auto audio that’s not bog-standard AM/FM, SXM is probably the most widely available, not a niche choice as you imply.

To be fair, those cars come with gas engines too; doesn’t mean it’s the right choice.

I view your response as perhaps a bit disingenuous

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means.

As an example of there's always gonna be people unhappy there's threads on here from when they added Spotify- a quite popular service- with lots of people complaining they didn't add INSERTWHATEVERONETHEYLIKEHERE.

Including some I'd never heard of.

since just about every new car for the last several years has offered SXM; when it comes to auto audio that’s not bog-standard AM/FM, SXM is probably the most widely available, not a niche choice as you imply.

I didn't imply it was a niche at all.

Since you mention it though SXM has about 34 million users.... Tunein (available on Tesla!) has 2-3 times that many users. Spotify has over 400 million users.

So comparatively, SXM IS kinda niche :)

Anyway- I wasn't really implying anything- instead I outright stated there's always going to be SOME service someone wishes they'd add, and until they go app store it doesn't make sense for them to offer a bunch of them through their own internal development efforts.

Not to mention most peoples complaint when you point out you can just stream SXM from your phone is to whine BUT WHAT IF I DO NOT HAVE SIGNAL.

Which of course would mean simply adding an app won't help them.

Tesla would need to add actual SXM hardware. Which costs money. Not just the single cost in a single car- but cost in manufacturing complexity, supply chain complexity, service and engineering complexity, support cost, licensing deals with SXM, etc...

If you know anything about how Tesla thinks and operates, that's the opposite of something they'd be interested in for their mass market models they're gonna be making millions of a year.

So brings us back to your choices today are:

Use the phone app and stream over BT
Use some aftermarket kludge to add an input for a tuner and control it somehow
Wait for a native app- which may require waiting for an official app store to launch

Note only the middle one has any chance of helping if you're in the "I want it so I can listen in places without cell signal" camp.

• Disagree
Reactions: mycroftxxx
Note only the middle one has any chance of helping if you're in the "I want it so I can listen in places without cell signal" camp.

Truly, how many places in the USA are still honest-to-goodness dead zones? Sure, intermittent spots between towers and such, but SXM does buffer, so intermittent shouldn't be an issue at all.

But actual dead zones? Must be years since I've found one -- and that includes the x-country road trip we did last summer.

To be fair, those cars come with gas engines too; doesn’t mean it’s the right choice.
That's a nonsensical comparison. The lack of satellite radio and proper cell phone integration has absolutely nothing to do with the advancement of vehicles or technology. It's nickel and dime cost cutting as for the money these vehicles offer less features than a mid level compact car like a Civic. Removing homelink is just another example as even value brands like Subaru include it.

That's a nonsensical comparison. The lack of satellite radio and proper cell phone integration has absolutely nothing to do with the advancement of vehicles or technology. It's nickel and dime cost cutting as for the money these vehicles offer less features than a mid level compact car like a Civic. Removing homelink is just another example as even value brands like Subaru include it.

Hmm, if Subaru includes it, what's that $365.00 for? This is off a 2021 Forester. Even more than Tesla charges for Homelink, isn't it?

I'm all for removing the sat radio receiver; Tesla has to pay Sirius for those, whether they're subscribed or not. I'm sure they know from their S & X fleet exactly which percentage are subscribed, and decided it wasn't worth it. Tesla has the benefit of data on damn near everything in the car, that the other mfr's don't. See: Passenger lumbar supports that nobody uses.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.14.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 11.14.05 PM.png
    111 KB · Views: 83
Sorry but the point about having sat radio available as an option being too cost prohibitive or challenging for Tesla ignores the fact that it has been available for model S for many years.
Where I live …cellular internet based (tune in, etc) with Tesla just plain sucks with regard to drop areas and buffering (occurs multiple times daily). Do not have these issues with Sat radio. Maybe it is related to location for different peoples experiences.
This is biggest draw back for media options in model 3, and it is an easy fix to put in production (and not the “just use the phone BT).
Just my 2 cents…

Sorry but the point about having sat radio available as an option being too cost prohibitive or challenging for Tesla ignores the fact that it has been available for model S for many years.

You know the Model S costs 2-3x what the 3/Y do right? Also they're built in much much lower volume.

And they're physically different cars in a bunch of ways, built on different production lines, so it's not like a drop-in part either, even ignoring the cost and complexity differences.

You know the Model S costs 2-3x what the 3/Y do right? Also they're built in much much lower volume.

And they're physically different cars in a bunch of ways, built on different production lines, so it's not like a drop-in part either, even ignoring the cost and complexity differences.
I will say that exclusions at the original $35k announced price point were maybe expected but the reality is that the base cars are now $45k so I don’t think it’s asking much to include an option available in cheap economy cars given how the price of entry has been jacked up considerably. It seems Tesla is adverse to adding any value inclusions to these cars or investing in improving the experience.

Every month I waffle on putting my money down on one of these out of fear of having to dick around with USB audio and losing a lot of convenience features I’ve been accustomed to in modern vehicles. I already drive a vehicle that’s nearly as fast or faster in a straight line as a M3P so I know the straight line acceleration novelty will wear off fast. If Elon would just throw a bone to these cars it would make it much easier for people to make the jump.

Of course - because BMW puts exactly the same features in a Mini as a 7-series, right?

C’mon. That’s a weak argument. Just because the flagship car has it, doesn’t mean the everyday car will.

And yes - Model 3 is an everyday car. I love mine, but no false pretenses.

SXM is standard in all kinds of lower end cars. It’s not a cost thing, at least not hardware. My suspicion is there’s some kind of licensing that Tesla doesn’t want to do, or maybe Elon doesn’t like Martine Rothblatt o_O

SXM is standard in all kinds of lower end cars. It’s not a cost thing, at least not hardware. My suspicion is there’s some kind of licensing that Tesla doesn’t want to do, or maybe Elon doesn’t like Martine Rothblatt o_O
It is always about licensing or Elon's likes/dislikes. He also didn't like aux in ports which would solve a whole host of audio issues by offloading them from the console.

Cost isn't just hardware.

It'd also require engineering cost and complexity since the current entertainment system physically has no place, or connection, for the hardware or antenna, plus additional wiring between everything.

it'd also require manufacturing cost and complexity to add that to the vehicle builds.... especially if you want it to be optional.... remember Tesla is the company who ended up giving SR owners the same nicer interior because it was less complex than offering cheaper seats but having to change between configs based on the order.

It'd also require supply chain cost and complexity to source millions of new parts (again they couldn't use identical ones to the S/X, different designs, different screens, etc)- and not just source them, but also keep them in proper stock, and also supply them for repairs.

All of that is entirely antiethical to Teslas design philosophy which generally finds clever ways to remove parts and reduce complexity wherever possible.

Check out Sandy Munros video where he compares the cooling system on the Model Y to the Mach E for example.... Teslas system uses vastly less parts, tons less tubing and fluid, saves considerable weight... AND is more efficient at its actual job.

Fords system, despite the Mach E being a "new" car, is just a bunch of old parts-bin stuff slapped together because it was already on hand.

• Disagree
Reactions: mycroftxxx
Really, seriously???....yes, I am personally very aware of the cost of the Tesla model S.
I would agree with others, its probably all about licensing agreement by Tesla as opposed to design constraints, hardware compatibility or production costs

Current cars including Sat radio standard or option (not all inclusive list):
-Chevy Bolt EV
-Ford Mach E
-Volkswagen ID4
-Nissen Leaf
-Toyota Pruis
-Toyota Corolla
...etc

These are not the "high end" competitors to a model 3 that Tesla should want to ignore comparisons

Tesla's decision to not include Sat radio for model 3/Y and maintain an inferior audio source with regard to connectivity is just, simply a misguided design & production choice.

Have had major Tesla products for several years...this is a relatively minor but significant deficit that should be just fixed.

Really, seriously???....yes, I am personally very aware of the cost of the Tesla model S.
I would agree with others, its probably all about licensing agreement by Tesla as opposed to design constraints, hardware compatibility or production costs

Current cars including Sat radio standard or option (not all inclusive list):
-Chevy Bolt EV

These aren't even for sale currently FYI.

-Ford Mach E
-Volkswagen ID4
-Nissen Leaf

All of which sell in tiny volumes compared to Tesla... (and in the case of the leaf is still using a dead charging technology)

-Toyota Pruis
-Toyota Corolla
...etc

And those are commodity vehicles using the same parts-bin stuff already in the supply chain, already engineering into the vehicles and production lines, and shared with other models for years and years.

Adding it to the 3/Y would not be that simple, or cheap.

These are not the "high end" competitors to a model 3 that Tesla should want to ignore comparisons

Tesla's decision to not include Sat radio for model 3/Y and maintain an inferior audio source with regard to connectivity is just, simply a misguided design & production choice.

Tesla is nearly sold out of cars through the end of 2022 despite planning for year another year where production increases >50%. They literally can't build cars fast enough to meet demand and expect that to remain true for years to come.

Seems the market is pretty ok with their design and production choices.

I give up….
You forget the other reason why all those other other cars with Sat radio option listed (btw- it was not an exhaustive or all inclusive list) are not comparable …none of them rhyme with “Mesla” and end in number or letter that is further in the alphabet after “X”

You have several people here complain about the lack of Sat radio as a major downside to the media experience.
The vast majority of automakers can incorporate Sat radio into their model productions without major model design change, even Tesla (happened with model S). I am not an electrical engineer but assumed that the engine type (ICE, hybrid, EV) or even body style or production, and NTSA crash stats would not impact the ability for Sat radio incorporation…but I admit I may be wrong in that.

So what is it specifically about the elaborate design of the model 3/Y that makes it so challenging to incorporate it into production and how much would that change cost per vehicle produced in the future (assuming that Tesla would just transfer cost to the customer as cost of the option plus a premium) ?