Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM radio on Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearly 20 years ago, every OEM that sold cars in the USA/CA decided to just build Sat Radio into the car at their cost..almost every car and model. it was actually cheaper to just build for it to be included in every car than to make it an option that required a charge to the build of materials or inventory or manufacturing process. at the time, XM and Sirius gave them MONEY per car to do it. It wasn't much, but the hope was that XM / Sirius and the OEM could upsell the buyer on the MRR of sat radio. that was just the way it was. For a NEW OEM, like tesla, I guess they didn't want to play that game too long or the revenue incentive changed. But frankly, it would have been much better for the customer just to build it in. It really doesn't cost anything to RECEIVE sat radio (with a subscription, which at this point costs about 5$ a month), but for the car manufactuerer, other than a subsidized hardware inclusion, it doesn't have a variable cost. Why they wouldn't just put in a small flat hockey puck receiver and Sirius integration is beyond me. It must have been 1 part aesthetic, and 1 part not willing to part with ANY MRR. putting an AUX IN in would have been almost as good, but yeah there is some cost or aesthetic impact to that too.

I've seen OEM shoot themselves in the foot for not willing / wanting to up 1$ (literally ONE DOLLAR) of extra cost into the build, that could potentially yield 250-750$ in upsell (AT THE TIME OF SALE) to the customer.. and product dev/mgmt would say NO, NO WAY, NO HOW.

Last edited:
You have several people here complain about the lack of Sat radio as a major downside to the media experience.

You can find people to complain about just about anything though.

The fact Tesla has an increasingly long waiting list to buy new cars from them, all while they continue to scale up production massively, tells you the # of people for whom this is a dealbreaking issue is not significant.

The vast majority of automakers can incorporate Sat radio into their model productions without major model design change, even Tesla (happened with model S). I am not an electrical engineer but assumed that the engine type (ICE, hybrid, EV) or even body style or production, and NTSA crash stats would not impact the ability for Sat radio incorporation…but I admit I may be wrong in that.

Those companies aren't typically engineering anything new though.

They throw the same or similar electronics in 10 different models, often across multiple generations of those models, and just find someplace to bolt it down, and they run so much wiring adding a bit more isn't an issue.

And they're building them on slow, inefficient, production lines that usually don't run 24/7 anyway, so a few extra minutes to install it or not (for the cars where it's optional) doesn't really change their output....and besides they've got months of inventory sitting on lots (outside the recent supply shortages) so again no issue.

Tesla on the other hand is an exceedingly lean manufacturing company. They frequently REMOVE parts whenever possible to streamline everything.

Unlike the miles of wires legacy just keeps running in model after model Tesla has vastly streamlined that too-

That's from 2019 about their wiring reduction efforts.

The Model S originally had 3 kilometers of wiring.

They cut that in half with the Model 3.

The patents discussed in the story aspired to cut that down another 90+ percent.

And they've got months-long backlogs for their products despite running all lines flat out, so they also limit options as much as possible because options slow down the line. I already gave several examples, including ending up putting in nicer seats on the SR Model 3 because having OPTIONAL seats was too much complexity to add to the manufacturing process.

Tesla doesn't even include Homelink anymore (though because that WAS in the original vehicle design you can have a local service center install it later).

Another good reason, at this point, though not initially, is Tesla now charged for premium connectivity for audio streaming. So they'd much rather have your $10/mo than have you sending $ to a third party.

All of which is why the best you can likely hope for would be an SXM "app" once they do an app store for the car, that'd still require wifi/cell reception.

Reactions: dmurphy
All of which is why the best you can likely hope for would be an SXM "app" once they do an app store for the car, that'd still require wifi/cell reception.

I’d be perfectly great with this. I’m lucky in that I live in an area with excellent wireless coverage; there’s practically nowhere in the northeast without cellular coverage.

Now that said, I’m OK with an App Store, but that dumpster fire of a media player in V11 needs a total revamp. It’s absolutely awful. The interface is unpredictable and rearranges favorites any which way it chooses. Mixes them with “recently played”. And probably worst of all, the SiriusXM player (on our X) doesn’t manage the channel map correctly. You’ll click on one channel and another will play. It’s absolutely a mess.

Audio is a mature application in all of its forms. Why Tesla wants to reinvent the wheel with it is completely beyond me. They spend time programming things that were long ago done. All this to save a few bucks per car? Penny wise, pound foolish. And then after that they announce new games for the console? Who cares?

When the rest of the industry catches up with Tesla on battery tech and charging stations they better watch out. People will start shopping for better accessories and theirs are lacking.

While and "app" SOUNDS great, it's not really what the value or beauty of Satellite radio is. It's the middle of nowhere, or outside major metros, or in valleys and canyons areas.. think I40, I80, I10 travelling beween major sections of the country.. granted, not TOO many drivers do this, but i'm sure there are drivers in those areas that could benefit too. and, all for probably about 50 CENTS of hardware mounted in the A or B pillar and tapped into the head unit - and then yes, a SUBSCRIPTION to access for high coverage CD quality Audio. Hell, TSLA could even CHARGE FOR IT when a driver is going into that area and say "the wireless coverage in this area is poor, for $2.50 a day would you like to activate the SAT RADIO coverage

While and "app" SOUNDS great, it's not really what the value or beauty of Satellite radio is.

On this, we disagree. I have many many more issues with satradio dropping out than cellular. The line of sight alone is an issue; many times I’m near a tall hill or under tree canopy, signal drops. Sirius has a terrestrial repeater install, but it’s been mostly ineffective for a long time now.

I understand that I’m lucky living in the northeast, but even when road tripping cross country, I have had very little time without cell coverage. And for that limited time, I’d just fall back to Bluetooth to my music library on my phone.

I’d argue that SXM’s primary benefit isn’t technology, but very much the human touch. I prefer the human song curation and yes, even “some” host chatter. Don’t get me wrong - some stations are too much, but many of them are a good warm mix.

On this, we disagree. I have many many more issues with satradio dropping out than cellular. The line of sight alone is an issue; many times I’m near a tall hill or under tree canopy, signal drops. Sirius has a terrestrial repeater install, but it’s been mostly ineffective for a long time now.

I understand that I’m lucky living in the northeast, but even when road tripping cross country, I have had very little time without cell coverage. And for that limited time, I’d just fall back to Bluetooth to my music library on my phone.

I’d argue that SXM’s primary benefit isn’t technology, but very much the human touch. I prefer the human song curation and yes, even “some” host chatter. Don’t get me wrong - some stations are too much, but many of them are a good warm mix.
that could definietly be, but I will say that in the past 14 months and 18,000 miles that I have criss crossed the USA from East to west and west to east and back to west and south to north and west to mountain west, in rental cars. Chrysler Pacifica, our C63, an RS5 and a ford explorer, I have never had this problem for more than about a minute.. and I have had HOURS or time with no in car coverage in our M3 via cellular and Tune'IN with only about 1000 miles of out of urban driving so it's quite a difference,

definitely an example of YMMV..

Reactions: dmurphy
I give up….
You forget the other reason why all those other other cars with Sat radio option listed (btw- it was not an exhaustive or all inclusive list) are not comparable …none of them rhyme with “Mesla” and end in number or letter that is further in the alphabet after “X”

You have several people here complain about the lack of Sat radio as a major downside to the media experience.
The vast majority of automakers can incorporate Sat radio into their model productions without major model design change, even Tesla (happened with model S). I am not an electrical engineer but assumed that the engine type (ICE, hybrid, EV) or even body style or production, and NTSA crash stats would not impact the ability for Sat radio incorporation…but I admit I may be wrong in that.

So what is it specifically about the elaborate design of the model 3/Y that makes it so challenging to incorporate it into production and how much would that change cost per vehicle produced in the future (assuming that Tesla would just transfer cost to the customer as cost of the option plus a premium) ?
Forget it, SVDNN, it’s Knightshade-town…

So ... from the "man I hate using apps on my phone to stream music" department ...

I broke down and bought Yet Another SiriusXM Radio.

This time, I just finished installing the new Roady BT. Finally, I think it's as close to what I want in the Model 3 as I can get.

I mounted the antenna atop the center LATCH cover on the rear shelf. Snaked the wire under the plastic sill trim up front.

Then mounted the Roady BT underneath the display - used a simple flat piece of plastic with VHB tape to mount the Roady BT. Fits perfectly.

Connects to the car as a Bluetooth device, so I have to disconnect my phone. I'm OK with that -- I despise taking calls from the car anyway.

Single wire from the Roady into storage compartment, where the antenna and power plug in together.

This is finally the Bluetooth SXM unit I've been waiting for. The BT dock was a mess - no audio controls from the steering wheel. The Tour360 radio takes forever to wake up, forever to tune stations, and forever to change channels. It doesn't have any favorites buttons either - all touchscreen interface, which ... well, I don't want another of those in the car.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted. A simple, quick BT radio that has buttons I can press for favorites. Not bad... not bad... I think I can live with this.

IMG_0004.jpeg

IMG_0008.jpeg

Reactions: Rodney!
So ... from the "man I hate using apps on my phone to stream music" department ...

This time, I just finished installing the new Roady BT. Finally, I think it's as close to what I want in the Model 3 as I can get.

I mounted the antenna atop the center LATCH cover on the rear shelf. Snaked the wire under the plastic sill trim up front.

Then mounted the Roady BT underneath the display - used a simple flat piece of plastic with VHB tape to mount the Roady BT. Fits perfectly.

Connects to the car as a Bluetooth device, so I have to disconnect my phone. I'm OK with that -- I despise taking calls from the car anyway.

Single wire from the Roady into storage compartment, where the antenna and power plug in together.

This is finally the Bluetooth SXM unit I've been waiting for. The BT dock was a mess - no audio controls from the steering wheel. The Tour360 radio takes forever to wake up, forever to tune stations, and forever to change channels. It doesn't have any favorites buttons either - all touchscreen interface, which ... well, I don't want another of those in the car.

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted. A simple, quick BT radio that has buttons I can press for favorites. Not bad... not bad... I think I can live with this.

View attachment 782565

View attachment 782566
Any concerns with someone possibly breaking in to steal the Sirius/XM radio? We use Sirius/XM quite a bit and right now in the Tesla we stream it from our phones.

Hope someone on this thread can talk to this - I have an iPhone X with the Sirius XM app and use it to listen to Sirius in my 2018 Model 3 via Bluetooth. My phone is set as my “priority device” in my car’s Bluetooth settings. After driving and listening to Sirius, I park and exit my car, and every time I return, no matter how much time has passed, upon getting back in my car, music will automatically start playing (via Bluetooth) from the playlist of downloaded songs on my phone (in my Apple Music library). My preference is for the audio pick up where it left off in my Sirius app.

On very rare occasion, when I get back in my car, the audio will pick up correctly/where it left off in my Sirius app (which is usually the middle of a Howard Stern show). I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling the app, disconnecting and reconnecting my phone to my car, everything. Any ideas how to fix this?

You can find people to complain about just about anything though.

The fact Tesla has an increasingly long waiting list to buy new cars from them, all while they continue to scale up production massively, tells you the # of people for whom this is a dealbreaking issue is not significant.

Those companies aren't typically engineering anything new though.

They throw the same or similar electronics in 10 different models, often across multiple generations of those models, and just find someplace to bolt it down, and they run so much wiring adding a bit more isn't an issue.

And they're building them on slow, inefficient, production lines that usually don't run 24/7 anyway, so a few extra minutes to install it or not (for the cars where it's optional) doesn't really change their output....and besides they've got months of inventory sitting on lots (outside the recent supply shortages) so again no issue.

Tesla on the other hand is an exceedingly lean manufacturing company. They frequently REMOVE parts whenever possible to streamline everything.

Unlike the miles of wires legacy just keeps running in model after model Tesla has vastly streamlined that too-

That's from 2019 about their wiring reduction efforts.

The Model S originally had 3 kilometers of wiring.

They cut that in half with the Model 3.

The patents discussed in the story aspired to cut that down another 90+ percent.

And they've got months-long backlogs for their products despite running all lines flat out, so they also limit options as much as possible because options slow down the line. I already gave several examples, including ending up putting in nicer seats on the SR Model 3 because having OPTIONAL seats was too much complexity to add to the manufacturing process.

Tesla doesn't even include Homelink anymore (though because that WAS in the original vehicle design you can have a local service center install it later).

Another good reason, at this point, though not initially, is Tesla now charged for premium connectivity for audio streaming. So they'd much rather have your $10/mo than have you sending $ to a third party.

Boy you’ve drank ALL the Flavor Aid eh?

• Disagree
Reactions: Kevy Baby

View attachment 782565

View attachment 782566

ugh. you had me here until i looked at the dimensions...this won't fit in the console where i have my onyx.

do the steering wheel controls work to change channels?

ugh. you had me here until i looked at the dimensions...this won't fit in the console where i have my onyx.

do the steering wheel controls work to change channels?

Sadly, no. The volume controls work great, but changing channels, I reach over and use the favorites buttons on the display. Elon would shoot me, but I actually really like the favorites buttons :)