Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Siry's blog: High Quality, Affordable EVs Made in China?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greentech Media: Green Light » Blog Archive » High Quality, Affordable EVs. Made in China?

From Darryl:

(Fisker has announced a target price of $87,000 for the Karma, which is to be contract manufactured in Finland by Valmet. Tesla has boldly communicated $57,000 as the price for the Model S as they try to position themselves as a mainstream manufacturer, but in reality I expect that price to be close to where Fisker is when all is said and done. Tesla plans to manufacture the car in the U.S.)

With the second comment by "Kery Bradshaw"

I don't think it is impossible for Tesla to succeed without offshore manufacturing - there are drawbacks too having nothing to do with quality (as with tying up the inventory with shipping the original ESS manufacturing). But admittedly it should be something considered.

I have figured a while ago that making a car in china, but using US management, is a way to start a car company. Domestic manufacturing ( building the factory, rent, and hiring) gets very expensive, and the chance of success is very slim without a higher priced car with good margins. The $57k price target set for the Model S is very aggressive even for the smaller battery pack.

Last edited by a moderator: