Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sit-to-start function [on other EVs]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, the car "Starts" pretty much the moment you touch the door. I don't have to do anything more than open the door, sit down, close the door, shift into Forward/Reverse, and hit the accelerator.

Which of those steps are you asking Tesla to remove to match the ID.4? Tesla is working on eliminating the "Shift into Forward/Reverse" step, the solution of which is likely to be unique to Tesla. I'm just not sure what else you could be asking for.

Uh, the car "Starts" pretty much the moment you touch the door. I don't have to do anything more than open the door, sit down, close the door, shift into Forward/Reverse, and hit the accelerator.

Which of those steps are you asking Tesla to remove to match the ID.4? Tesla is working on eliminating the "Shift into Forward/Reverse" step, the solution of which is likely to be unique to Tesla. I'm just not sure what else you could be asking for.
I am not asking for anything to be removed just curious why VW advertises this as a feature as in a distinct feature. Also I still have to press the brake for my car to “switch-on” but I guess this may make sense as an extra layer of safety.

I am not asking for anything to be removed just curious why VW advertises this as a feature as in a distinct feature.
I haven’t seen the ad you are referring to. But keep in mind that everyone coming from an ICE expects an ignition switch or a push button start. It is a distinct feature not to have that. For EVs with advertising departments, I guess they thought it was worth highlighting.

Reactions: Frank99
Imagine that in the VW you need to step on the brake before selecting a gear as well.
VW ID.4 Owners Manual (PDF)
The user manual page 140 says that you have to press the brake to switch away from the neutral position, so it's really no different than a Tesla. This may even be a regulatory requirement due to brake interlocks for normal cars (which are to prevent accidental rollaway from children or just bumping the gear selector by accident).

And page 137 describes to "switch on the ignition" you still need to either press the brake pedal or push the start button.

So I'm not seeing how this is a unique feature.

I am not asking for anything to be removed just curious why VW advertises this as a feature as in a distinct feature. Also I still have to press the brake for my car to “switch-on” but I guess this may make sense as an extra layer of safety.
because if they used "our car puts out 30% of the power, has less range, no self-driving assistance features, and is all around mediocre compared to a Tesla...but hey, our car powers up when you sit in the seat" in their advertisements, even more people would understand how much further the technology on a Tesla is than on VW.

Reactions: Frank99
I wish Tesla would do this so I don’t have to hear about it again in another ID.4 commercial!

But seriously if they can log lumbar use surely they can switch the car on by using the driver seat weight sensor.
Really!?!?!?! C'mon, the minute you get close to the car with your smart phone, the car turns itself on! Next, you'll want the car to buckle your seatbelt for you. And, by the way, Chrysler tried that around 1990. It worked well, except when you got in an accident, when it didn't really keep you restrained. So be careful what you wish for.

Really!?!?!?! C'mon, the minute you get close to the car with your smart phone, the car turns itself on! Next, you'll want the car to buckle your seatbelt for you. And, by the way, Chrysler tried that around 1990. It worked well, except when you got in an accident, when it didn't really keep you restrained. So be careful what you wish for.
Why so serious? Are you a VW employee or something? I was just asking a simple question