Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Site forgets "last unread" post

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been noticing this more and more... is there a "timeout" for the site remembering the "last unread post" in older threads?

I know there is an issue with threads older than when the forum converted over from vbulletin.. but in this case, I'm talking about threads that have started well after the conversion.

I'll notice a new thread in my "watched thread" list, and click on the bold link (which usually goes to the first unread post), but for older threads that haven't had posts in a month or more until now, it seems like the last unread marker is lost and the bold link goes to the first post in the thread. Then if I click on "go to first unread" it usually works.

Just adding data to this issue.

Today I saw that this thread had a new post:

Next Gen Seats - DIY Retrofit

Thread was started June 30,2016, but when I clicked on the bold thread title in "Watched Threads" list, it took me to the first post/page #1. But then if I click on "Go to first unread" it goes to the proper post (from today).

I noticed that the URL link on the bolded thread title in "Watched Threads" is this:

but for all other threads in "Watched Threads" the same bold links include "/unread" like this:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/firmware-8-0.72787/unread

So why do some threads not read in a month or more (just an estimate) have the "/unread" tag removed?

thanks.

Just adding data to this issue.

Today I saw that this thread had a new post:

Thread was started June 30,2016, but when I clicked on the bold thread title in "Watched Threads" list, it took me to the first post/page #1. But then if I click on "Go to first unread" it goes to the proper post (from today).

I noticed that the URL link on the bolded thread title in "Watched Threads" is this:

but for all other threads in "Watched Threads" the same bold links include "/unread" like this:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/firmware-8-0.72787/unread

So why do some threads not read in a month or more (just an estimate) have the "/unread" tag removed?

thanks.
I can't answer the "why", but according to Doug, it is intentional. See New Forum Design.

I asked Doug about this in the site conversion thread early on. It is about 30 or so days. However, if you click avatar to the left of the thread rather than the thread title itself, it will drive code to look back and rebuild the tracking cookie and take you to the first unread post. I've just gotten use to clicking that every time now.

I can't answer the "why", but according to Doug, it is intentional. See New Forum Design.

Yeah, I see now, that must be it. Bummer it's cookie based. I find that kinda strange since vBulletin had no problem keeping track of last unread post for any thread, but that's another discussion.

But the avatar I see doesn't go to "/unread".. only the red dot goes to "/unread".

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler