Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Site survey scheduled for Monday 8/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Timeline

7/28 - Placed order for 8.16 kwh panels + 2 Powerwalls.
7/28 (after few hours) - First layout plan from Tesla. I approved asap.
7/29 - Request to send a bunch of photos from garage, panels etc.
7/30 - Sr Solar advisor (based in Las Vegas) assigned.
8/4 - Called advisor and asked if he can request engineer to move 6 panels from North to South / SouthEast.
8/6 - Got updated plan and approved it as they changed layout per my request.
8/7 - Got a call to setup an appointment for site survey. Appointment setup for 8/20 Monday between 11 - 1 pm.
8/8 - Status is HOME ASSESSMENT (with 8/10 date).

Next step is PERMIT. The solar advisor told me that the permit has already been applied on 7/30 so thats whats confusing me. He said layout changes don't need to be repermitted as size of panels are the same (8.16 kwh).

Is there a checklist for site survey that needs to be asked?

Reactions: All In
The first assessment I had was from a Tesla person to verify that the layout drafted from pictures and satellite worked. About a week later LADWP came out to verify new meter location

Thanks. Does that mean in your case permit was applied with LADWP before the Tesla person came home to verify the layout or was it after? Also Tesla must have given LADWP the new panel layout while filing permit right?

My impression was that the permit was applied for after the Tesla home inspection. I base that on the fact that the LADWP guy did not appear out of nowhere, he came out in response to "something."

I made a detailed list in the "the Solar/powerwall checklist" thread below.

LADWP also has its own progress timeline which is nice to know, but now very helpful as there is no way of knowing the time lag between such things as "interconnection agreement received" (my system is 16.32 which is over the LADWP 10 limit for "small systems"), and "interconnection agreement form approved."

In short, it may be a case of step one is "apply for a permit" and step two is "submit plans" after such plans are drafted in conjunction with the utility.

OP how did that go for you? Any surprises? We didn't go this route and just submitted photos but were tempted to request one. Our install is next Monday and then on to learning about how to monitor/control the system. New to both solar and PWs.

It went well. Surprisingly the Tesla guy took about 2 hours plus. He took many pictures of house, attic, sides, garage , panels etc. Finally before leaving he mentioned the current layout would work well with our roof and our roof is in good shape.

We want the 2 powerwalls inside garage. One side is full of cabinets so thats not possible. The opposite site of door is possible but he mentioned to pass inspection I would need to install 2 bollards as a safety precaution ..so that side is also out of question. The 3rd side works well even though we have a guest bedroom on the other side. He said he would recommend wall mounting. I think thats where we will install the PW. We have lots of space on the outside but don't want PW out there. I am waiting for the permits to be applied now.. hopefully they do it very soon . I am in L.A county

Reactions: SMAlset
It went well. Surprisingly the Tesla guy took about 2 hours plus. He took many pictures of house, attic, sides, garage , panels etc. Finally before leaving he mentioned the current layout would work well with our roof and our roof is in good shape.

We want the 2 powerwalls inside garage. One side is full of cabinets so thats not possible. The opposite site of door is possible but he mentioned to pass inspection I would need to install 2 bollards as a safety precaution ..so that side is also out of question. The 3rd side works well even though we have a guest bedroom on the other side. He said he would recommend wall mounting. I think thats where we will install the PW. We have lots of space on the outside but don't want PW out there. I am waiting for the permits to be applied now.. hopefully they do it very soon . I am in L.A county

Did you ask him about the noise from the powerwalls affecting the bedroom? I thought that was a concern of yours.

Did you ask him about the noise from the powerwalls affecting the bedroom? I thought that was a concern of yours.
Yes I asked him. He said when its operational it make a light hum and shouldn't really bother anyone in the guest bedroom. I found that I can have one powerwall in the area which juts out off the wall that backs up to the bedroom ..which means only 1 powerwall would be on the other side of the bedroom. I can live with it as my other option is to have 2 bollards as safety measure which I don't want.. and the 3rd option is outside the house which also I don't want.