Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sitting In Back--too Little Foot Room...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
After looking at a few all electric vehicles, I've decided on a Model 3 EXCEPT for the following:

I'm not overly tall (5' 11"), but I do like to sit with the front seat moved back. So, I got in the driver's seat and set the seat where I'd be comfortable. Then, without moving the seat, I got out and went into the seat behind the driver's seat. I was able to put my feet on the floor, but there was no room on the floor of the rear seat so that I could not move my feet around--literally. My feet are not large--US size 11. I couldn't slide my feet under the front seat because the front seat frame goes down to the floor and all the way across. Has anyone else experienced this problem and come up with a solution?

FWIW, this is a real deal breaker for getting a Tesla and I really would like to get a Model 3.

Any help is truly appreciated.....

Hi,
After looking at a few all electric vehicles, I've decided on a Model 3 EXCEPT for the following:

I'm not overly tall (5' 11"), but I do like to sit with the front seat moved back. So, I got in the driver's seat and set the seat where I'd be comfortable. Then, without moving the seat, I got out and went into the seat behind the driver's seat. I was able to put my feet on the floor, but there was no room on the floor of the rear seat so that I could not move my feet around--literally. My feet are not large--US size 11. I couldn't slide my feet under the front seat because the front seat frame goes down to the floor and all the way across. Has anyone else experienced this problem and come up with a solution?

FWIW, this is a real deal breaker for getting a Tesla and I really would like to get a Model 3.

I'm 6'4" and didn't mind riding behind a shorter front seat passenger. As a tall person, I actually prefer sitting behind in the front passenger seat rather than sitting in front of them. There's no way I could sit behind myself, however. If I'm driving and someone needs to sit behind me, I can move the seat up quite a bit from my usual position in order to make room for them, while still being comfortable. It's a true 4-seater as long as you don't mind sacrificing a small bit of comfort as the driver.

I understand your point completely Earl. Unfortunately, it doesn't help in my situation.

Many thanks,

I'm not sure what sort of help we can provide aside from suggestions for alternative seat positions. If you raise your front seat, it will provide more room for rear feet to slide under.

I like having my seat low and back, too, but I compromise a little in order to fit someone behind me.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
I’m 6’2” and I’ve taken my family of four on numerous 3+ hour road trips. My 5’7” daughter usually sits behind me although I move the seat up a couple inches so she has a little more room. It’s a compact car not any different than a Corolla really. If you don’t want to move your seat up a little for a decent sized passenger behind you, then you need a larger vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaywlker
I'm not sure what sort of help we can provide aside from suggestions for alternative seat positions. If you raise your front seat, it will provide more room for rear feet to slide under.

I like having my seat low and back, too, but I compromise a little in order to fit someone behind me.

Thanks. I'm going to the Tesla store to try it out. That was the info that I needed.

Reactions: Big Earl
Hi,
I'm not overly tall (5' 11"), but I do like to sit with the front seat moved back.
So, I got in the driver's seat and set the seat where I'd be comfortable.
Then, without moving the seat, I got out and went into the seat behind the driver's seat.
I couldn't slide my feet under the front seat because the front seat frame goes down to the floor and all the way across. .
The bottom of the front seats can be moved up and down, but not in a vertical motion.
- If you move the seat down, it would move also toward the front.
- And the opposite when you try moving up.

I guess, you may have moved the front seat very low.
Try finding then a compromise between a correct height when sitting in the front
and leaving enough room for the feet of a rear person..

Hi,

I am 6'3 220lbs and have 3 co workers who are 6'3 185lb, 6'4 somewhere around 250+ and 6'4 somewhere around 250+. We all got in my model 3 to go to lunch. where we went was about 7 miles away. It wasnt super comfortable, but we all fit in there. I was shocked honestly. They wanted to try squeezing in.

A while ago when I had the same question about back seat room for my BMW 435, my wife said "why do you care about the back seat room for yourself... you will never be back there."

I said "I still want to know if people fit in the back" then she said "then I should get back there, not you" . Wife is 5'6

OP if it doesnt fit for you, it doesnt fit. not much can be done about it other than moving your seat and seeing if that works. If it doesnt, then maybe you need to wait for model y.

I am 6'3 220lbs and have 3 co workers who are 6'3 185lb, 6'4 somewhere around 250+ and 6'4 somewhere around 250+. We all got in my model 3 to go to lunch. where we went was about 7 miles away. It wasnt super comfortable, but we all fit in there. I was shocked honestly. They wanted to try squeezing in.

A while ago when I had the same question about back seat room for my BMW 435, my wife said "why do you care about the back seat room for yourself... you will never be back there."

I said "I still want to know if people fit in the back" then she said "then I should get back there, not you" . Wife is 5'6

OP if it doesnt fit for you, it doesnt fit. not much can be done about it other than moving your seat and seeing if that works. If it doesnt, then maybe you need to wait for model y.
Where do you work??!! The NFL???

Lol I was thinking same thing...I work in engineer-land, most of us small and not taller than 5’8” .

Im in TX (land of big vehicles) and many other moms warned me that a sedan was not good for older kids especially if they are into sports and need to schlep lots of equipment. Well My hubby is also an engineer and is 5’6” so we are betting neither of our kids are gonna end up being six foot tall athletes... :)

At my test drive my husband and kids sat in back and he kept commenting how it felt roomier than expected, and the rep was saying model 3 has more space inside than a typical car for its size .

I get what you mean. I'm 6' but where I feel comfortable I can still "sit behind myself"and have enough leg room. But my feet definitely don't fit under the seat. I rarely ever have backseat passengers so to me it's not a big deal. When I do I select a separate driver profile with the seat slightly further forward and slightly higher.

The battery likely takes up the space that would be available under the seat. the drop-down floor in the footwell area gives you an idea how much space it does take.

I thought the 3 had great room inside for its size. If it doesn't work then a larger car is in order. Does the Model S work? Used?

I'm an engineer. While most of us were not NFL size, we did have one guy that must have been around 400 lbs. He wouldn't even try getting into any of our sedans. He drove a big pickup that seemed to work well for him.

Lmao!

No, my team just has pretty large guys on it. I work in IT (we are not engineers though).

To be clear (after reading the thread again), my feet dont fit under the seat. Neither did theirs. I dont think any of us are used to having their feet fit under the seat if sitting in the back,. Bigger guys learn how to sit squeezed in, in back seats because you have to learn, or not ride back there, lol.

Its roomier than the BMW 435 I had, thats for sure (I had the 4 door version)

Last edited: