TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Sitting without charging

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by rw86347, Dec 8, 2016.

1. rw86347

rw86347 Member

My Nissan Leaf can only sit for three weeks with out being driven or else the lead acid battery will die (even if plugged in). Is that true with the Tesla?

Last time I took a business trip to china I came home to a dead car, which was also plugged in.

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

I understand that a Tesla loses about 3 miles per day sitting. So, it seems that you would lose maybe 65 or so miles. If you drove a ways, you might come back to a low battery, but probably not. That's the nice thing about having 300 miles (well, if you own a 90D) instead of 80 miles or less (as in owning a Leaf).

3. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

I think the car will charge the 12v battery automatically if you keep it plugged in, so that shouldn't happen. I would be interested to see what others say though. I don't have my car yet.

This thread isn't exactly on that point, but it is related and had some interesting information about the 12v battery.

Any reason not to hook up a battery tender to the 12 volt battery ?

4. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Tesla cars do always monitor the level of the 12V battery and will kick in a cycle to refill it from the main high voltage battery as needed. I think this usually happens at least a couple of times a day. So unless something goes defective, in normal operation, it will never let the 12V battery die like you mentioned with the Leaf case.

5. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I've monitored my 90D in the last 3 days. It seems to lose about 1 mile per day. Any way to get a more precise reading?

6. David99

David99 Active Member

Tesla keeps the 12 Volt battery charged, nothing you need to do. How much energy the Tesla main battery looses depends on a few factors. Many people use a data logger that connects to the car every minute when parked preventing the car to truly go in sleep mode. This will cause higher losses. It's best to keep the Tesla plugged in when not in use and set the charge limiter to 50%. If you can't plug it in and want to keep the losses to a minimum, turn on energy saving mode and turn off remote access.

7. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Remote S gives a rated range reading with two decimal places. I don't think it can actually read to the hundredth of a mile, but it can certainly show partial mile changes and whatever the highest level of precision Tesla's API supports.

8. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

The Tesla does not have that problem.