Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Six Months Today: Life with a Model S at 6 Months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I happen to have taken delivery one day later, and am celebrating 6 months today: 12,500 miles, average of 351wh/mi, and 100% agree with OP's review. I'd like to add that I just did my second range charge to see how the battery is doing: 298 ideal miles.

The view from 15,000 miles. Good for comparison to 10,000 miles, posted earlier.
Will hit 16,000 this week... will start a View from 15,000 miles thread for all to post their energy usage and comments...if not already done as a thread for all...

Tesla 15K milles.jpg

Big time thread hijack here...
I am sitting here at darien ct, on my way home from my 4th NYC trip, and approximately 10th supercharge.
It's been 2 months and a week, or so, since I got my vehicle and I have hit 6200 miles - pics to come shortly.

I just bumped into Aaron who was super charging before heading home - the tesla community is just absolutely amazing. I enjoy meeting and talking to all the owners. We are a cult

As I sit and reflect while the car charges, I reflect on my ownership experience - this car is absolutely amazing.!!! No doubt, one of the best cars that I have driven and a car that I plan to keep for ma years to come!

Bhuwan via mobile

Sorry if this is dumb but...

How can I convert that to miles per charge, which seems like it would be more useful from a practical standpoint?

is it as simple as battery size*1000 / w/mi?
While it is a bit of a thread hijack...
miles per charge? ... unsure what is meant. If I charge daily but only drive 40 miles per day, then my miles per charge = 40. If looking for miles per charge as if the battery is always filled to full then drained to empty, I suppose your method would work.

I think the trip meter shown is very practical measurement. :smile:

If I have an 85 kwh battery and drive 40 miles and the battery has only 10% left when I'm done, then yeah, my milage was 40, but I sure as heck wasn't getting the range I should.

as a prospective owner, I care about what real world miles per charge people are getting (when you extrapolate it out to a full charge).

trip meter just says how far you've gone. Doesn't take into account how many discrete trips that includes (e.g. 4000 miles on 400 trips vs 4000 miles on 20 trips).

sorry if its a hijack, but people keep citing this number, including in this thread, and I wanted to figure out how I could translate it to something meaningful for a lay person.

If I have an 85 kwh battery and drive 40 miles and the battery has only 10% left when I'm done, then yeah, my milage was 40, but I sure as heck wasn't getting the range I should.

as a prospective owner, I care about what real world miles per charge people are getting (when you extrapolate it out to a full charge).

trip meter just says how far you've gone. Doesn't take into account how many discrete trips that includes (e.g. 4000 miles on 400 trips vs 4000 miles on 20 trips).

sorry if its a hijack, but people keep citing this number, including in this thread, and I wanted to figure out how I could translate it to something meaningful for a lay person.

It's a little more complicated as the firmware hides some capacity from you to a) prevent bricking and b) give you just a tiny bit more once you hit 0, but capacity in Wh/ (Wh/mile) gives you a good approximation.

Rated range is calculated with somewhere between 300 and 308 Wh/mile iirc. So people posting 340Wh/mile are getting about 10-13% less than advertised range...

It's a little more complicated as the firmware hides some capacity from you to a) prevent bricking and b) give you just a tiny bit more once you hit 0, but capacity in Wh/ (Wh/mile) gives you a good approximation.

Rated range is calculated with somewhere between 300 and 308 Wh/mile iirc. So people posting 340Wh/mile are getting about 10-13% less than advertised range...
From recent pictures, I think the car puts it (rated) around 312 Wh/mile.

Sorry if this is dumb but...

How can I convert that to miles per charge, which seems like it would be more useful from a practical standpoint?

is it as simple as battery size*1000 / w/mi?

what you're trying to say is the equivalent of MPG yes? Which I would also like to know, as it's what I'm used to in an ICE, but would love to know in a Tesla.

what you're trying to say is the equivalent of MPG yes? Which I would also like to know, as it's what I'm used to in an ICE, but would love to know in a Tesla.

Check out the Lifetime Average thread. Use the formula (((Wh/mile * miles) / 1000) * your electric rate * 1.15) to get the amount paid then divide by the gas price to get gallons.

Example: (((258 Wh/mi * 8200 mi ) / 1000) * $0.09 * 1.15) = $218.9646

$218.9646 / $3.499 per gallon = 62.579 gallons

8200 mi / 62.579 gallons = 131.03 mpg

The divide by 1000 turns Wh/mile into kWh/miie
The 1.15 estimates the charging losses and load that isn't tracked by the display.

Big time thread hijack here...
I am sitting here at darien ct, on my way home from my 4th NYC trip, and approximately 10th supercharge.
It's been 2 months and a week, or so, since I got my vehicle and I have hit 6200 miles - pics to come shortly.

I just bumped into Aaron who was super charging before heading home - the tesla community is just absolutely amazing. I enjoy meeting and talking to all the owners. We are a cult

As I sit and reflect while the car charges, I reflect on my ownership experience - this car is absolutely amazing.!!! No doubt, one of the best cars that I have driven and a car that I plan to keep for ma years to come!

Bhuwan via mobile

Did you listen to Aaron's new stereo upgrade?

Hopping in the car now and heading from Cape Cod to the Boston 'burbs. Appreciate and enjoyed the feedback above. It feels like I have had my Model S much longer than 6 months. Maybe it's the change from deep snow to summer breezes, but I think it is instead the complete change in lifestyle that accompanies the delivery of a Model S. Everyday is a little easier and a lot more fun. The frunk and rear well each suck up any shrapnel I am carrying (soccer balls, shopping bags, a bike pump, some gifts for a friend's kids, a set of golf clubs, an occasional guitar), so the car is always clean, open. Leaving the house with a "full tank" everyday is underrated. In fact, I leave you with this:

The next time someone asks you if you have to charge the car at home, return kindly:
"Of course - fill my car up all the way and leave with a full tank everyday - You have to go to a gas station? Wow, that's too bad".

Onwards -

Just ask them how would they feel if they had to go to the gas station every few days to charge their phone.